Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Mess With Old Marines

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Don't Mess With Old Marines

In Florida a couple days ago a 71 year old former Marine shot two criminals robbing a subway, killing one, after they robbed the store then tried to force him into the bathroom after getting his wallet.

In short, a clean shoot, the model of why citizens should be allowed to carry concealed guns.

Some News Links:
    A Summary

A more in-depth piece.
    According to a police statement, :Arrindell ordered Lovell to hand over his wallet. He intentionally dropped it on the floor and refused to pick it up, saying he was afraid. That's when Arrindell ordered him into the women's restroom.

"The victim believed he would be executed and when he noticed [Arrindell] distracted ... reached behind his back, removed his loaded .45 caliber handgun from his holster and fired seven rounds," the statement said.

Arrindell was struck twice — once in the head and once in the stomach — and collapsed. Officers found him face down, wearing sunglasses and a bandanna, with a gun near his left hand. Gadson was hit in the chest and ran from the store. Police dogs found him in the hedges of a nearby office building and bank.
    And, as is usual for shootings like this, the criminal's relations come out and said how their kids were turning their lives around, had never harmed any, etc.

But what I'm looking for is insight on how other countries would have handled this - in Florida the Marine was never charged, and won't be. He had a permit for carrying a concealed handgun, also.

Would authorities in some countries take issue with his shooting the criminals and charge him with murder?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Default Re: Don't Mess With Old Marines

We don't even get those kinds of robberies around here you know. The law's pretty strict on "excessive use of force" though, and concealed carry Right Out far as I know.

And you wouldn't believe how few people get shot here every year, in spite of the country being rotten with guns.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Would authorities in some countries take issue with his shooting the criminals and charge him with murder?
    yes of course they would over here .
    Well actually no , they might if you shot a robber , then beat them with a stick until you fracture lots of bones including the the skull , then drag them across the road and dump them over a wall , then return to your house for more ammunition and go out and shoot them again just to make sure , but that sort of thing ends with a charge of manslaughter not murder .

Blog Entries

We don't even get those kinds of robberies around here you know. The law's pretty strict on "excessive use of force" though, and concealed carry Right Out far as I know.
    You're not answering the question. Suppose it did happen.

Tribesy, what are you referring to?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

If, in the UK, you killed someone who was actually in the process of robbing you at gunpoint, I think you'd be ok.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I think you could be charged in Australia, but the sentence would probably be less.

Also you would be charged for carrying a concealed weapon.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

The gun law in Florida is one can shoot someone if they just feel threatened by them - imagine. So, this ex-Marine will probably be given a medal - justly so.

Seven shots and only hit 'em three times? Sure he was a Marine, not a sailor?
    Last edited by KafirChobee; 07-01-2007 at 04:22.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Very Senior Member Gawain of Orkeny's Avatar

A 71 year old sailor couldnt even pull the trigger

Seems to be a lot of stories lately about ex Marines doing these type of things. OOOoooo rah
    Fighting for Truth , Justice and the American way

Tribesy, what are you referring to?
    Ah sorry Rabbit I thought you wanted an example of what happens to people in other countries who shoot robbers when you asked...Would authorities in some countries take issue with his shooting the criminals and charge him with murder?
    What I am refering to is an example of what happens in this country .
    Though of course the example I use is slightly misleading (would you expect any less of me ) .
    Such a miscarriage of justice is of course open to appeal , at the appeal the manslaughter charge was overturned .

Semper.

And all that. Stupid Jarheads.

Rrr.Kill.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

An unnecessary loss of life. Over what, a few bucks?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    The victim believed he would be executed
    I don't know, but that guy was there and it's usually too late when you can know for sure. I'd say if you rob a store with a gun in your hand, you have to expect to get shot., it's a logical consequence.

I think here you'd at least be charged for carrying a gun though self defense should be allowed(if in doubt, just carry a throwing axe or so).

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Every shooting in New York State, even those by law enforcement, is considered by law to be a homicide till the particulars of the case are brought before a Grand Jury to determine if a possible crime has been committed.

This appears to be a legal case of self-defense as defined in the Penal Code, which includes defense of a third person also; Sec. 53a-19 first paragraph.

Go Devil Dogs!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    I don't know, but that guy was there and it's usually too late when you can know for sure. I'd say if you rob a store with a gun in your hand, you have to expect to get shot., it's a logical consequence.

I think here you'd at least be charged for carrying a gun though self defense should be allowed(if in doubt, just carry a throwing axe or so).
    agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by KafirChobee
    The old marine probably has double vision so the other 3 shots went into the two illusionary doubles, which means he really missed only once. He's 70, so for that we can cut him some slack.
    This space intentionally left blank

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Here in Cali, a young Marine got punk'd with his own weapon, when he tried another in a series of armed robberies. The store clerk won't be charged.

...An alleged co-defendant, Navy Corpsman Quintel Antonio Brooks, pleaded not guilty Thursday to participating in four of the robberies on June 10.

Brooks, 19, was a lookout who held a BB gun on store employees and customers while Smith grabbed money from cash registers...
    2 ironies reported on the TV last night: the 2 perps where due to rotate (for the first time) to Iraq in November 2007, and one of the store clerks is an Iraqi-American.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Well Kukri , it looks like some people will try anything to avoid getting sent to Iraq .

Hehe, Tribesman; funny you said that; the 'comments' section of the local newspaper is full of comments echoing yours - and others decrying the low pay of USMC Lance Corporals, both of which OBVIOUSLY led these young men to pursue a life of crime.

I just wonder if the locals will turn them over to the Corps for prosecution, or run them through civilian court.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    You'll notice that he gave up his wallet without a fight. It was only after the crooks got the wallet and ordered him into the restroom that he fought back. Now why would they have wanted him to be in the restroom? They already had what they were looking for.

(if in doubt, just carry a throwing axe or so)
    Is carrying throwing axes more legal than carrying guns?

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Is carrying throwing axes more legal than carrying guns?
    I have no idea actually, but a normal axe is considered a tool, if you could throw that...
    AFAIK muskets made before 1871(foundation of Germany) are legal, but it could be hard to find some that still work.
    Last edited by Husar; 07-02-2007 at 00:45.

AFAIK muskets made before 1871(foundation of Germany) are legal, but it could be hard to find some that still work.
    Damn that rules out the Henri Peiper, I will have to bring the India pattern instead .

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

But what I'm looking for is insight on how other countries would have handled this
    If we overlook the fact that in the UK it could not be legal for him to be carrying a concealed handgun (unless some very special circs apply) I suspect the answer is roughly the same as in New York. Namely that it would be investigated as an unlawful killing, and the case would turn on whether the force used was reasonable. I'm no expert on criminal law but two robbers, one armed, robbing one pensioner, suggests that opening fire was reasonable. Obviously if he downed them, reloaded, walked up, and shot them again, that might be a different story. But he didn't.

For UK bashing purposes though you will be delighted to hear that by carrying any sort of weapon (both things that are weapons, such as a cosh, and things that are not weapons but that you intend to use as a weapon, such as a hammer,) grandad would have been committing an offence.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    Hehe, Tribesman; funny you said that; the 'comments' section of the local newspaper is full of comments echoing yours - and others decrying the low pay of USMC Lance Corporals, both of which OBVIOUSLY led these young men to pursue a life of crime.

I just wonder if the locals will turn them over to the Corps for prosecution, or run them through
    Harsh justice, isn't it?

LoL. Fine job of editing Pannonian. I shudda known better. :)

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    If we overlook the fact that in the UK it could not be legal for him to be carrying a concealed handgun (unless some very special circs apply) I suspect the answer is roughly the same as in New York. Namely that it would be investigated as an unlawful killing, and the case would turn on whether the force used was reasonable. I'm no expert on criminal law but two robbers, one armed, robbing one pensioner, suggests that opening fire was reasonable. Obviously if he downed them, reloaded, walked up, and shot them again, that might be a different story. But he didn't.

For UK bashing purposes though you will be delighted to hear that by carrying any sort of weapon (both things that are weapons, such as a cosh, and things that are not weapons but that you intend to use as a weapon, such as a hammer,) grandad would have been committing an offence.
    So basically it's illegal to defend yourself? Your hands are illegal to have on you, if you intend to use them as weapons, eh?
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

I some states the state monopoly on legitimate violence is taken fairly seriously you know. It also happens that some states, unlike others, actually have decent enough law enforcement that the citizenry need not engage in an arms race with the criminals, which has the bonus effect of not having all that many handguns in circulation and thus available to the criminal element as well.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    I some states the state monopoly on legitimate violence is taken fairly seriously you know. It also happens that some states, unlike others, actually have decent enough law enforcement that the citizenry need not engage in an arms race with the criminals, which has the bonus effect of not having all that many handguns in circulation and thus available to the criminal element as well.
    Yes, but if you happen to come across an armed criminal, are you supposed to die for the state monopoly on violence instead of defending yourself with anything that is available?
    The state monopoly on violence might not exactly be the grand idea you'd be willing to give your life for.

The funny thing here is that our armed criminals rather rarely use their weapons for more than intimidation you know...

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    So basically it's illegal to defend yourself? Your hands are illegal to have on you, if you intend to use them as weapons, eh?
    I'm not sure that body parts are covered.

Prevention of Crime Act 1953 (Section 1(1)) states that:

'Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie with him/her, has with him/her in a public place any offensive weapon, shall be guilty of an offence.
    From the guidance manual for crown prosecutors:

'Offensive weapon' is defined as any article made or adapted for use to causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use. The courts have been reluctant to find many weapons as falling within the first limb of the definition and reliance should usually be placed upon the second. On that basis it must be shown that the defendant intended to use the article for causing injury.

Lord Lane, CJ, in R v Simpson (C), 78 Cr. App. R. 115, identified three categories of offensive weapons: those made for causing injury to the person, i.e. offensive per se; those adapted for such a purpose; and those not so made or adapted, but carried with the intention of causing injury to the person.

In the first two categories, the prosecution do not have to prove that the defendant had the weapon with him for the purpose of inflicting injury: if the jury are sure that the weapon is offensive per se, the defendant will only be acquitted if he establishes lawful authority or reasonable excuse.
    It's pedantic of me, but its not basically illegal to defend yourself, its basically illegal to have a weapon with you in a public place.

It seems to me there's no real room for middle ground on this one. With the possible exception of CS sprays (illegal in the UK as they are made for causing injury), there is no point in allowing people to carry weapons to defend themselves unless they are allowed to carry guns (would it have helped our 71 year old ex marine if he had had a knuckleduster in his pocket? No.) I would certainly feel less safe, overall, if, say, it was legal to carry a baton or something, but not a gun. I'm not sure a baton would do me much good if a gang wanted to rob me, and I am sure it would do my wife no good at all (obviously all thugs would take advantage of the ability to carry weapons legally, and be tooled up at all times). So either you have to allow concealed handguns or ban the lot, when at least you can bust thugs if you catch them carrying.

Obviously, in the UK, that means ban the lot. I've made it this far without feeling this puts me in much danger.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    The funny thing here is that our armed criminals rather rarely use their weapons for more than intimidation you know...
    Yes, and I don't feel like I'm in great danger because I don't carry a machinegun around. I'm just thinking about the rare cases where someone actually wants to kill you, though I have to say I cannot think of any such incident where the victim survived or killed the attacker in self-defence.
    Best thing is probably to wear a ballistic suit at all times, that way you won't need much in terms of offensive power...oh wait, that's not allowed either.
    You could however go medieval and wear chainmail outside while in a pub, when you're shopping with the family or while you're swimming at the beach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast