Thread: Scotch Drinkers - Sound Off

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Scotch Drinkers - Sound Off

Heh, well ... I'm not a scotch drinker (Tequila!). I'm going to a party tonight for a friend that got promoted and who will be leaving our group, and he likes single malt scotch, so I bought him a bottle of Lagavulin, aged 16 years. My brother is a scotch drinker and he likes this kind, so hopefully Mr. Brian will too.

So, all ye scotch drinkers out there--what is your preference? What sucks? What do you drink on a normal night out, and what do you drink on special occasions?
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Default Re: Scotch Drinkers - Sound Off

Lagavulin is DEFINITELY one of the very best. That is, if you like the Islay scotch. They have a lot more smoke, some people like it, some hate it. I love it. Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore and Caol Ila are the top 4 in my mind.

But for people who don't like the Islay scotches, Highland Park is good, and quite a lot of people like Glenfiddich too.

On a night out I usually bring a bottle of Laphroaig(10 years or quarter cask), and my "special occasions bottle" is a special edition Lagavulin.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Glenlivet

Glenfiddich

Either is a good single malt. Nothing special but better than a blend.

Mix with water. 2:1. (water:Alc)

Very nice with cigars and friends.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Hmmm ... Scotch.

Lagavulin 16 years is a definite highlight - a week ago I brought a 12 year Lagavulin (cask strength) home from a trip - fantastic!

I general I am a bit biased towards Islay whiskys - in addition to the two Lagavulins I currently have bottles of Laphroaig ("Quarter Cask" and 15 year old) and Ardbeg ("Uigeadail") "standing around".

I agree with HoreTore that the Islay ones might be to peaty/smoky for many people (especially if they only drink Scotch from time to time) - so a Highland Park would indeed be a solid alternative. Macallan is also not bad (I did not like the "Elegancia" though)

I am also quite fond of Talisker

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I normally drink 15 year old Balvenie if I'm drinking Scotch.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Lagavulin 16 = fine choice. Give me 'smokey' or give me death!

I'm with Div-A: Glenlivet or Glenfiddich fine for social environments.

(I'm getting thirsty reading this, but it's only 1100).
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

No argument that Lagavulin is a fine choice.

These days I have either Talisker or Laphroaig, so that's another vote for peat, smoke, and iodine. I usually keep a bottle of Dalwhinnie for those who must have a Speyside, and/or Highland park (which is from Orkney). Both are better for the occasional whisky drinker I think.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Highland park and Glenfiddich are both excellent choices.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma
    Mix with water. 2:1. (water:Alc)
    Water in your scotch, sir? Please defend this abberation of civilized comportment at your earliest opportunity.

I'm a bourbon drinker, but as Scotch goes, I've killed a few bottles of Glenfiddich 15 year-old Solera Reserve (all gifts) and they were downright tasty. When I hit 40, I bought myself a bottle of 18 year-old Glenmoranghie single malt ($125 a bottle). It was obviously very good, insanely clean, but much too light for my gasoline (bourbon) tainted tastebuds.

Lagavulin? Only one bottle years ago with a woman who looked like a young Elizabeth taylor. And to the Lord we offer thanks for such moments.

A month ago I bought a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel Bourbon. The reviews all give it five stars, but I found it a bit too sweet and far too timid. Not to my taste.

Bookers Best and Wild Turkey remain the best bourbons I've tried.
    Unto each good man a good dog

@Beirut: Ruining a fine scotch with water is a serious crime, but bourbon-talk in a scotch-thread ain't good either...

Although Divinus Arma is excused if his comment referred only to Glenfiddich, as then there is no fine scotch to ruin...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    @Beirut: Ruining a fine scotch with water is a serious crime, but bourbon-talk in a scotch-thread ain't good either...
    True. Kind of like Clint Eastwood going to the opera.

I'll just walk away now...

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Gentlemen, thank you for your responses, and for the chuckles. As it turns out, Mr. Brian's face lit up when I presented him with his parting gift. He's heading into a challenging scenario in his new role, and I think having a tasty bottle of scotch to come home to will help ease initial tensions.

I've seen or heard of all mentioned except the Balvenie. Is it hard to find in the States, I wonder?

I'm becoming more curious about whisky culture as I read. Perhaps I will broaden my "spiritual" horizons and experiment with scotches, and bourbons, and see where my tastes fall. Cheers.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I don't know what DA is doing, watering down his Scotch either. *shivers* A branch is supposed to be less than half a thimblefull. It's not to dilute the whiskey, it's to bring the flavors out.

Personally, the Macallan is one of my favorites. Ruffled Grouse is quite yummy as well. If we're willing to extend the conversation to whiskeys in general, I'm with Beirut and favor Bourbon. Though I'm more of a Knob Creek snob myself. I can't afford the truly high-end stuff my old man drinks, though I'm not too proud to pilfer some when I go to visit!
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I've seen or heard of all mentioned except the Balvenie. Is it hard to find in the States, I wonder?
    Apparently their US distributor is William Grant and Sons, USA. You can't buy on their website, though.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I don't know what DA is doing, watering down his Scotch either. *shivers* A branch is supposed to be less than half a thimblefull. It's not to dilute the whiskey, it's to bring the flavors out.
    My grandfather in Florida used to put water in his Scotch, but he was in his 90s and survived the First World War, so I was never in any position to question his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Personally, the Macallan is one of my favorites. Ruffled Grouse is quite yummy as well. If we're willing to extend the conversation to whiskeys in general, I'm with Beirut and favor Bourbon. Though I'm more of a Knob Creek snob myself. I can't afford the truly high-end stuff my old man drinks, though I'm not too proud to pilfer some when I go to visit!
    Knob Creek is good bourbon. I've had two of my own bottles and helped a friend with one of his. Have you tried any of the Wild Turkey bourbons? They are very, very good. My top choice as far as non-special issue bottles go. The issue 80 proof we mostly get here is very tasty, though the true 101 proof is better. I've had the 12 year-old Wild Turkey, which is Heaven sent, but very hard to find. Haven't seen a bottle in ten years at least. I'm still looking for the Rare Breed (Barrel Bourbon) Wild Turkey which is, well, rare, and very, very hard to find.

As far as cost goes, Knob Creek is about $45 a bottle here. The standard Wild Turkey is about $23, the same as Jim Beam and Jack Daniels. The issue Jack Daniels is watered down and painfully average. Bookers Best, which is the best bourbon I've ever had, goes for $80+ and worth every single hard earned penny, though very hard to find. At most I'll drink perhaps five bottles of whisky a year, so I don't mind paying for the good stuff.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    Bookers Best and Wild Turkey remain the best bourbons I've tried.
    My dad brought a bottle of Booker's Best over to Germany for my host mother and I have to say it was quite good. I definately wouldn't drink something like that very often, and I would never drink more than a glass or two of it at a time (a very small glass...) but it was quite good and definately a great choice for special occasions like spending time with my host family, parents and friends after not seeing my parents for around 6 or seven months.

I probably won't get a chance to drink any more for about two and a half years though....
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Nobody Important Member Somebody Else's Avatar

Oban.
    Don't have any aspirations - they're doomed to fail.

Rumours...

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Knob Creek is good bourbon
    That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask, does "knob" have a different meaning on the other side of the Atlantic? Or, more accurately, one less meaning? Put another way, does this work as a pun in the USA:

"Why shouldn't you wear Ukrainian underpants?"

"Because Chernobyl fallout"
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

Knob has that meaning...but it's rarely used. Knob is usually used for door knob.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Knob has that meaning...but it's rarely used. Knob is usually used for door knob.
    Or mini-peninsula. Easterner's refer to small geographic protrusions into lakes, etc as "knob", usually with some now-dead local resident's name attached - much to the amusement of young tourists. I don't think the habit went west of the Mississippi.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.