Thread: Poor poor fools

Default Poor poor fools

Check out the gamefaqs.com poll of the day for July 3.

It asks what your favorite RTS is. Total War is 4th (by tons) as of writing.

Who needs morale or reasonable avatars when you can slaughter your enemy by building (on the battlefield) a super-armored-flying-dragon!!!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Azi
    "If you don't want to work, become a reporter. That awful power, the public opinion of the nation, was created by a horde of self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditch digging and shoemaking and fetched up journalism on their way to the poorhouse."
    Mark Twain 1881

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Default Re: Poor poor fools

You're talking about a gaming community addicted to World of Warcraft. It's not surprising.

*voted for Total Annihilation, because Kingdoms was awesome*

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

That poll is a bad poll - where is Europa Universalis II?

But perhaps the poll is good news after all. If the click-fest gamers still aren't interested in TW games despite the adaption of the TW games in their direction, perhaps CA has an incentive to go back to deeper games with less fantasy units and fewer unit abilities (which IMO screwed up unit balancing and gameplay). That could mean a release of a Shogun II! Personally, I would like to see a game that has Europa Universalis II strategy map gameplay coupled with TW real-time battles, with improved AI.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

RTS?

Since when does Total War qualify as an RTS? The battles are Real Time tactics and the strategy map is round-based and not real time.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    RTS?

Since when does Total War qualify as an RTS? The battles are Real Time tactics and the strategy map is round-based and not real time.
    True.

It appears the creators of that poll do not understand the definition of realtime strategy game as does the poll not facilitate comprehension thereof.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

I'd have voted for TA because it gave eventual birth to Spring, which is simply an amazing engine.

And because Total War isn't real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    RTS?

You're right, but TW games have always been lumped into the RTS genre. I remember avoiding Shogun the first time I saw it in the store because I had tired of Red Alert.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    You're talking about a gaming community addicted to World of Warcraft. It's not surprising.

*voted for Total Annihilation, because Kingdoms was awesome*
    I thought that was universally dispised ?

I remember I only played the demo back in the day and wasn't impressed, then again, it had taken a while before I had begun to appreciate TA as well (best RTS ever !).

BTW if it's about the latest TW games, I wouldn't rate Rome as the best game in any genre.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    I thought that was universally dispised ?

I remember I only played the demo back in the day and wasn't impressed, then again, it had taken a while before I had begun to appreciate TA as well (best RTS ever !).

BTW if it's about the latest TW games, I wouldn't rate Rome as the best game in any genre.
    In an era where all the RTS games were Resource Transit System games instead of Real Time Strategy games, TA: Kingdoms was a breath of fresh air by giving you a single resource to build units and buildings with, and the capture points which gave you that mana would not be seen again until Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. Plus the pre-level cinematics were akin to a History Channel documentary, which was a thumbs up to me.

Chief Biscuit Monitor Member professorspatula's Avatar

Magic and Mayhem - which was released just a little before TA Kingdoms I believe, also featured the single mana resource capture points. Whilst not as large scale a RTS game, it certainly had it's good and original points. I assume the sequel also featured the mana capture points - so it's not like Warhammer 40K was the next game to see that feature. TA:K never really appealed to me even though I loved TA.
    Improving the TW Series one step at a time:

BI Extra Hordes & Unlocked Factions Mod: Available here.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Is there a link to this poll?
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!