Thread: Greek levy hoplites again then... sigh....

Default Greek levy hoplites again then... sigh....

Just started a campaign as the Romans and Ive noticed I can only train faction specific troops in the few provinces with the "Camilian Reforms" marker. I saw the same thing with the Celtic factions, all needing the "Time of Free Men" marker to train faction specific units. Is this the case for the whole of the game, or do things change later on? I appreciate the historical accuracy and all, but its annoying being stuck with levies and mercenaries in so many battles. Apart from this the mod has been absolutely brilliant. Can anyone advise?? Thanks in advance!
    The artist formerly known as Johnny5.

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Default Re: Greek levy hoplites again then... sigh....

Uh, youre not 'stuck with levies and mercenaries'. you have all of your faction troops as well.. mercenaries are just augments..

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Rome had to ship their legions from Italy, they did not train Roman units outside of areas where there were Roman people in the early Republic. The area where you can train Roman units will expand with reforms. See the FAQ.

Dudes, you are patient and helpful as always, cheers

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Now, what you may be concered with is the fact you cant recruit all of your faction troops from the first level or two of your MIC.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Default Re: MIC

I did wonder about that, for example playing as Carthage I took provinces in southern Italy but couldnt train anything there. So Ive just got to build up the MIC a few levels? Id suspected as much, but I had more important things to be building. Even Phoenicia, which is a homeland province for Carthage, didnt seem to let me train anything. Another thing, I notice in some provinces you can continue to upgrade a local levy MIC even though this wont ever give you any new units. It would definitly help if the building browser told you what benefits you would get down the line, if any.

It really isn't possible for the building browser to know what you will get further than one complex ahead. It's just not possible for the RTW engine to know, and certainly we can't include anything like that in the description of the building since we'd have to know what province it was in. I do know that Carthage has a crappy time recruiting anything in east sicily or throughout Italy though. It stinks.

Any plans to fix said crappy Carthie recruitment?

Hah! Like they're going to tell us any specifics.

To the OP...

Build up the Regional MICs in southern italy and u can get Hoplites and Theuperoi (sp). In Gaul u can even get Neitos WAY before the Gallic factions can since they have to wait for the reforms to hit (which ain't right, but I don't think regionals can be linked to reforms).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5
    Just started a campaign as the Romans and Ive noticed I can only train faction specific troops in the few provinces with the "Camilian Reforms" marker. I saw the same thing with the Celtic factions, all needing the "Time of Free Men" marker to train faction specific units. Is this the case for the whole of the game, or do things change later on? I appreciate the historical accuracy and all, but its annoying being stuck with levies and mercenaries in so many battles. Apart from this the mod has been absolutely brilliant. Can anyone advise?? Thanks in advance!
    Build homeland governments in Italy. After the Reforms in 242 BC you can recruit Roman troops throughout Italy.