Thread: Good FPS

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Good FPS

Hey,

anyone know any good First Person Shooters I can play (besides BF2, I hate it now)?

Default Re: Good FPS

OMG...

Go look in the Red Orchestra thread. Havent you heard orgahs saying,"RO kicks BF's ***.

Theres really no other FPS worth looking at except Brother in Arms. (Good for single-player)

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Single or multiplayer?

HL2 if you haven't played it.

Day of defeat: source.

FEAR, depending on your tastes.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Single or multiplayer?

Mutiplayer

is AA worth my time downloading and playing?

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    Mutiplayer

Yes, but I would go for God's Grace suggestion, Red Orchestra. Personally I think the Rainbow Six series are as good as multiplayer can possibly get, but most there know every little trick on every level, might be hard to get into. If you consider yourselve to be a good player, that is where the pro's hang out.

AA is definately worth your time but check out the thread a little further down about Red Orchestra. I am sure some people still have a guest pass available so you can give it a try for 10 days.

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    HL2 if you haven't played it.

Day of defeat: source.

FEAR, depending on your tastes.
    Oh, I'm terribly sorry, to not mention these games, but get Red Orchestra, BHC.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Grace
    OMG...

Go look in the Red Orchestra thread. Havent you heard orgahs saying,"RO kicks BF's ***.

Theres really no other FPS worth looking at except Brother in Arms. (Good for single-player)

Red Orchestra is the best by far.

I sometimes feel that I'm the only guy here who doesn't like RO
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Never played Red Orchestra and probably never will. Unless it has a solid single player campaign, I'm not touching it with a 50ft pole.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae
    Never played Red Orchestra and probably never will. Unless it has a solid single player campaign, I'm not touching it with a 50ft pole.
    Single player FPS is pretty much a dead genre at the moment, and the last few outings really didn't 'grab' me. the demo for HL2 was too deja vu and not as fun as HL1 and I'm not sure I even finished the FEAR demo, all polish, little game.

Perhaps the viewpoint is too restrictive to make an engaging game by today's standards ? I'll await Bioshock to find out the answer.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}KingWarman888
    Mutiplayer

AA and RtCW:ET are the major free multiplayer games at the moment. Both are fun, but there are greater titles out there now, especially Red Orchestra! What's great is that RO has dropped in price a lot, it's almost so you can exchange an ice cream/candybar and go buy RO instead, so it's definitely worth it IMO, with the great community and very good gameplay and realism!
    Last edited by Rodion Romanovich; 07-05-2007 at 12:21.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

Thread killer Member Rodion Romanovich's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    Single player FPS is pretty much a dead genre at the moment, and the last few outings really didn't 'grab' me. the demo for HL2 was too deja vu and not as fun as HL1 and I'm not sure I even finished the FEAR demo, all polish, little game.

Perhaps the viewpoint is too restrictive to make an engaging game by today's standards ? I'll await Bioshock to find out the answer.
    I don't think single player FPS is dead, it's just that it's moved more in the direction of more complex games such as adventure, RPG, or tactical, whereas a more plain fast-paced action is becoming increasingly rare due to limited demand (but if you like pure fast paced action, I can recommend Serious Sam, or Serious Sam the second encounter, both are very good), or has developed more into horror shooters (Doom 3, FEAR, Far Cry etc). Among the more complex titles, ArmA is a quite good title that was released very recently. A lot of singleplayer games from the previous 5 years are also worth picking up if you haven't played them yet. Most of them stand up surprisingly well to the more modern titles. In fact, although a lot of new graphics technology has become available, a lot of old games have so good textures and level design, that many of them looked just as good as a lot of the newer titles.
    Under construction...

"In countries like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Norway, there is no separation of church and state." - HoreTore

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

I just feel like a lot of shoor

(but if you like pure fast paced action, I can recommend Serious Sam, or Serious Sam the second encounter, both are very good),
    I've been meaning to ebay them, really sorry I missed those when they were first released.

a lot of old games have so good textures and level design, that many of them looked just as good as a lot of the newer titles.
    That certainly doesn't apply to System Shock 2, i've been meaning to play that for a while, but it just looks so ugly...
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

FEAR is the last quality single player FPS I have played in a long while. Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 just didn't get it done.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

Halo 2 is also an obvious good single-player.

That certainly doesn't apply to System Shock 2, i've been meaning to play that for a while, but it just looks so ugly...
    There is a mod for that, really improves character models. Rebirth it was called I think.

I use Rebirth for SS2, as well as the no-spiders mod (cant STAND those things), different-colored PSI-amps, and skill pads as random loot.

If your looking for a good single player FPS FEAR is excellent, just don't play it at night when you're alone in the house...
    Another SP FPS I enjoyed a lot was Prey, great atmosphere, looks great (you really ARE in an Alien spaceship ) and some great gimmicks. Though the last few levels aren't that great and it turns into a Serious Sam kinda game... But overall it is an excellent game!

"You have the insanity... of a manatee."

Eh, FEAR Single Player was only par. I've seen scarier things in my fridge, however.

Personally, I like Call of Duty 2. Yes, it's a WWII shooter. Yes, it has the SAME Stalingrad levels. But it's enjoyable none the less, especially with the elimination of health packs.

Quote Originally Posted by FesterShinetop
    Another SP FPS I enjoyed a lot was Prey, great atmosphere, looks great (you really ARE in an Alien spaceship ) and some great gimmicks. Though the last few levels aren't that great and it turns into a Serious Sam kinda game... But overall it is an excellent game!
    Liked that game as well. But it's so easy! I like to look at Prey as a first person zelda dunguon, great puzzles, great world, with some combat thrown in.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Strangely, I find System Shock 2 looks great - but then I was weaned on computer games from circa 1995 (I still play X-Com and think it looks fine!). What is ugly in System Shock are the people, but as you meet virtually none of them, it does not matter much. The monsters in the original, I find much more visually appealing than those in the graphics mod. (Just as I find X-Com 1' s aliens better than in later games).

But seriously, System Shock 2 is one game where you should not let dodgy graphics deter you. The sound is about the best of any game I've played (listening to a hybrid muttering just around the corner is intense, while the telling of the backstory via audiologs is a masterpiece of condensed and vivid exposition.)

SS2 is probably the most "cinematic" video game experience I've had - it made more of an impression on me than most films or books I've read.
    Last edited by econ21; 07-06-2007 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Lehesu
    FEAR is the last quality single player FPS I have played in a long while. Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 just didn't get it done.
    You just gave me a heart attack

HL2 was so much better than FEAR it's just not funny...

Then again, maybe chiched corridor shooting is to your tastes

Bleh, Half-life 2. Just more polished then the average pc title, nothing that we haven't seen before.

And Doc_Bean, listen to Econ21 wise words. It may not look like much, but sound is infinitly more important for a game's atmosphere then it's graphics. And when it comes to sound, System Shock 2, and Thief, remain unchallenged even today. You will feel in physical danger, it doesn't get any better then this.

I liked Far Cry alot (although it could be frustrating in spots), and the upcoming Crysis by the same developer looks really fun -that is if my graphics card is up to the task.

http://www.incrysis.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    You just gave me a heart attack

HL2 was so much better than FEAR it's just not funny...

Then again, maybe chiched corridor shooting is to your tastes

HL2 was a travesty to the franchise. And...well, I have enunciated my opinions on the game before and won't continue to do so here.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

I'll add my voice to those demanding System Shock 2 gets played. If you like RPGs, tense and/or scary games, games with a good plot, or games with great sound then you must play it.

How about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic? I quite liked it, and it's got a good SP mode. It's not a strictly a shooter, as you get to use swords, bows, magic and your almight foot. It allows you to tailor your character towards your style of play as you gain levels for completing game objectives. There's a demo out there somewhere.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.