Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods

Default Mods

Can someone please point me in the direction of a good mod.
    thanks

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Default Re: Mods

Which game? MTW, RTW, M2?
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Hello all

Right, as lack of answer, I'll give a brief overview of my favourite mods:

Medieval Total War:
    The XL mod rules, adding factions, enhancing the map, and generally being better than the original game. Search the mod subforum of the game here at the Org and you should find a download link.

Rome Total War:
    Europa Barbarorum: Starts in 272 BC, adds factions, is the most realistic mod yet, I believe. Look in their mod subforum to see what it's like. And, if you have questions, ask the team. They're very helpful.
    The First Triumvirate: Play as Caesar, Crassus, Pompey before, or during the Civil War. Play as the Gauls trying to reconquer their homeland from Caesar, or play as Parthia trying to stop Crassus' conquests. Very nice, and really good time playing it. Check Total War Center to download.
    Rome Total Realism: I liked a lot for a time, but that was before I really played EB. Those two mods are more or less adversaries. Try them both. Check their forums, or check Total War Center for it.
    Roma Surrectum: Changes the factions, makes the game better. Nice mod. Check the subforum here.
    Terrae Expugnandae: the first RTW mod I played, done by Lusted, a pillar of the modding community, I feel. I played it for over four months. Look over at Total War Center to download it.
    SPQR: Concentrates on the battle part of the game, but still gives in nice features for the campaign map (triumphs, rebellion). Check out TW center for it.

Barbarian Invasion (some mods are restricted to BI, that is, they use features from BI that are not compatible with RTW)
    Invasio Barbarorum: Mod in the late Roman Empire (after the seperation between East and West) that offers one heck of an experience. Play as any Roman faction and your in for some great time. Check their subforum here.
    Chivalry Total War: A mod set in the early period of medieval times. It's pretty nice, and the timeline chosen is pretty rare for a RTW mod.
    Fourth Age Total War: If you're a Tolkien Fan, play this.

M2TW (Note: I haven't actually played any of them)
    Lands To Conquer: Ever since I played Terrae Expugnandae, I was on the lookout for more of Lusted's work. He did this. When I get M2, I'll download this. You can find it here.
    Medieval 2 Total War mods for now are in what I feel is an early stage. Medieval Total Realism hasn't been released yet, and Europa Barbarorum II hasn't been much talked about yet (at least, we know it will come someday). But, if you check these forums, you should find enough material to spend a good time.

Of course, these are only my favorite mods. This is because I like the Roman Era a lot, like realism, like Tolkien, etc. But you may have different interests, and may like different things. Therefore, I encourage you to try any mod that looks interesting to you. If you don't like it, just uninstall it, and find another.
    It's your choice.
    Last edited by Warmaster Horus; 07-04-2007 at 14:21.
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

XL and EB are the only mods you'll ever need.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

[QUOTE=Warmaster Horus]
    Medieval Total War:
    The XL mod rules, adding factions, enhancing the map, and generally being better than the original game. Search the mod subforum of the game here at the Org and you should find a download link.
    Let me second this reccomendation, I have played this mod for literally hundreds of hours, its great, and very stable.

Lands To Conquer: Ever since I played Terrae Expugnandae, I was on the lookout for more of Lusted's work.
    I have played LTC exclusively since I got MTW2, its great at tweeking things to give it a touch more difficulty by helping the AI with a few things. Prior to 1.2 it fixed 95% of all the bug issues we had, solid enhancement to vanilla.

As Warmaster Horus says, MTW2 major mods are still ongoing, not much has come to light yet (they will) for now you can play 1.2 vanilla and get a solid game, but LTC pretty much gives the AI a decent kick in the pants.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

[QUOTE=Warmaster Horus]Right, as lack of answer, I'll give a brief overview of my favourite mods:

Medieval Total War:

Rome Total War:
    Europa Barbarorum: Starts in 272 BC, adds factions, is the most realistic mod yet, I believe. Look in their mod subforum to see what it's like. And, if you have questions, ask the team. They're very helpful.
    The First Triumvirate: Play as Caesar, Crassus, Pompey before, or during the Civil War. Play as the Gauls trying to reconquer their homeland from Caesar, or play as Parthia trying to stop Crassus' conquests. Very nice, and really good time playing it. Check Total War Center to download.
    Rome Total Realism: I liked a lot for a time, but that was before I really played EB. Those two mods are more or less adversaries. Try them both. Check their forums, or check Total War Center for it.
    Roma Surrectum: Changes the factions, makes the game better. Nice mod. Check the subforum here.
    Terrae Expugnandae: the first RTW mod I played, done by Lusted, a pillar of the modding community, I feel. I played it for over four months. Look over at Total War Center to download it.
    SPQR: Concentrates on the battle part of the game, but still gives in nice features for the campaign map (triumphs, rebellion). Check out TW center for it.

Barbarian Invasion (some mods are restricted to BI, that is, they use features from BI that are not compatible with RTW)
    Invasio Barbarorum: Mod in the late Roman Empire (after the seperation between East and West) that offers one heck of an experience. Play as any Roman faction and your in for some great time. Check their subforum here.
    Chivalry Total War: A mod set in the early period of medieval times. It's pretty nice, and the timeline chosen is pretty rare for a RTW mod.
    Fourth Age Total War: If you're a Tolkien Fan, play this.

Lands To Conquer: Ever since I played Terrae Expugnandae, I was on the lookout for more of Lusted's work. He did this. When I get M2, I'll download this. You can find it here.
    Medieval 2 Total War mods for now are in what I feel is an early stage. Medieval Total Realism hasn't been released yet, and Europa Barbarorum II hasn't been much talked about yet (at least, we know it will come someday). But, if you check these forums, you should find enough material to spend a good time.

QUOTE]
    these sound awesome, cheers

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doombringer
    Can someone please point me in the direction of a good mod.
    thanks
    Ya probably want EB. Welcome.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xehh II
    XL and EB are the only mods you'll ever need.
    There are plenty of great mods for all the total war series. It just depends on your own personal taste. To say those two mods are the only one's you will need is just crap if you haven't bothered playing any others
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 07-14-2007 at 12:33.

EB for RTW. You can try RTR 1.9 Plat, but I'd recommend EB until RTR 7.0 comes out. Even then, I'd probably still recommend EB because they will release their new version.

I like RTR.

For M2TW, from what I have read on French forums (I have not modded yet my game as I want to finish at least one vanilla before hand), the mod that seems to entice the most players in DLV with Darth mod. Not sure what the current version is though.

3.0, I believe. Although I don't know about a Darth Mod.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pike and Musket for VI is good..

Son of Gloin, Cleaver of Orcs Member Gimli's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Mods

The XL mod for MTW is my favorite so far!
    "May the best dwarf win!"
    ......... ...........

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    There are plenty of great mods for all the total war series. It just depends on your own personal taste. To say those two mods are the only one's you will need is just crap if you haven't bothered playing any others
    I have played most of the main mods for MTW and RTW, and they are nothing compared to EB and XL.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Are EB and RTR respectively harder on the computer resources then the original RTW game? I have a more or less min spec computer, so I'm worried...
    Becoming one with your sword means not becoming / one with your soul realizing who you already are / everything / that there is nothing to become.

EB is, because of all the scripting. RTR, though, I don't think is.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

If we absolutely disregard all the new graphics, skins and animations, possibly the new map and new races (which are to be expected) in both EB and RTR... I'm interested in a simple rundown of the main strengths of both of the mods coming from you, the players...
    Last edited by Nikpalj; 07-24-2007 at 19:49.
    Becoming one with your sword means not becoming / one with your soul realizing who you already are / everything / that there is nothing to become.

Well, as I said earlier, you can check their forums. EB has the main ones here, and RTR in TWCenter.

I can't think of much that RTR adds beside what you said:new skins, new map, new factions... However there are plenty of mini-mods and mods for RTR, like the 4TPY (4 turn per year) mini mod.

EB adds a lot of new features:practically too many to list here. 4TPY, 4 stages of Roman Reforms, Olympic games, the Roman Cursus Honorum, different government systems, voices in the native language, new music, extensive information of both troops and buildings... And plenty more. If you want the full list, go to the EB homepage, and look under "Features". Also, I recommend you check their previews of both May, June and July. Plenty of goodies to drool over... You can find them in their forums.
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

Ive played totalwar since the release of shogun both in single player and multiplayer, winning many tournaments with my clan and playing thousands of online battles against tough opponents...

IMO the most challenging mod is THE LONG ROAD MOD playing as an eastern or the byzantine faction, ive played the much heralded lands to conquer mod and while its a good effort offering short campaigns i find it too much like the vanilla totalwar with many stacks of armies and steamrolling the ai.

Even the long road isent perfect but as byzantines (especially) it offers the best campaigns ive seen to date in any mod or totalwar game, i dont play eb anymore as the rome engine seems dated to me, and the mtw2 engine is so much better.

The long road forum http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315

download link: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98729

Mod changes: http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/The_Long_Road
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 07-24-2007 at 20:33.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

What do you recommend as a challenging Western/Catholic mod?
    Check out the Gahzette!

Back.

None are that hard as a western faction as far as i know, i finished all the 3 campaigns of the lands to conquer mod in 1 day :\ on vh vh, but if you like western factions perhaps you should try lands to conquer once you have played online many years the battles v the ai are mostly v easy, it wont be like that for everyone! The long road as portugal may offer a good challenge. the problem with western factions is they can sit safely and strike out at the east with little comeback.

Id recommend the long road and the lands to conquer mods as well made mods tho no doubt, lands to conquer for smaller campaigns, and the long road for the epic style campaign.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 07-25-2007 at 15:53.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

I have played most of the main mods for MTW and RTW, and they are nothing compared to EB and XL.
    Thats your opinion, not one of fact

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Easy there, mate. BKB is right; that's only your own opinion, not a fact. There's quite a few good mods out there, of which EB and XL are only two examples. While I realize it wasn't your intention, Xehh, your above statement is essentially an insult to BKB, cageroach, and all the other hard-working people who've invested their (very considerable!) time and talent into the many fine mods that are available.

It's one thing to state that EB and XL are your two favorite mods. To state that no other mod can compare to them, however, is quite frankly demeaning -- and untrue in any case.
    Last edited by Martok; 07-27-2007 at 00:45.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

This is relatively unrelated to this thread, but since it's active...

I was wondering if it's possible to have two mods installed on the same game at once. For example, I have the BKB SuperMod installed at the moment, which I really enjoy and don't want to take off my VI, however I also want to try XL. Is my question possible?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

The simplest explanation I think is just making another copy of your MTW folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

How exactly would I do that? Do I back up my current Total War folder then un-install and re-install the game?

^ EDIT: I've moved my Total War folder to a new location, my firewall went crazy and blocked MTW:VI, I've unblocked, and when I try to play it it doesn't do anything, so I'm guessing it's technically 'uninstalled'. Do I now re-install it and install the other mod? If yes, then I'll do that, but, if I do that, then how would I play BKB's SuperMod, would I switch my TW folders between my program files program or am I completely and just another stupid 'noob' annoying you all?
    Cheers.

Hi friend.

To MTW i would download various mods: XL is the best, and HellenicTotalWar is good too,last you would try to download SamurayWarlordsBeta8 and you will get a new Shogun Total War jeje

To Roma Total War Europa Barbarorum is the best I think.

Lands to conquer the best choice for Medieval 2.

Thanks by your attention.
    " Quo usque tandem abutere Catilina patientia nostra " Oratoria,Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast