Thread: Megale Hellas

Asia ton Barbaron mapper Member Pharnakes's Avatar

Smile Megale Hellas

Playing a Makedonia campaign at the moment, and getting tired of the Tarantine league repeatedly kicking the romans ass, I have decided to stick my finger into Italian politics. For the moment I wish to ocupy Megale Hellas, so I am wondering what in EB terms constitutes Megale Hellas, basically, do I include Capua or not? or maybe not Arpi? Any thoughts welcome.

On a side note, the banishing of the former Epirote faction to Taras created a very unstable and interesting power balance throughout the whole of Italy, Latium itself for example has been Tarantine three times, and Qarthadastei twice! Further north, the Romanii took Bononia and Corsica, in their brief "golden age", before the rise of Taras and the fall of Capua, however, they failed to penentrate further north, and when the Arvernii took Massillia and then Segesta, the Galic civil war flared up again, the Aedui took Patavium, then lost Mediolanaum to the Arvernii, only to take it back again two years ago. Segestica is now under seige with little prospect of relief, as the Qarthadastim, after working their way up the coast, are now stabbing deep into the Arvernii heartlands. If the Aedui do gain control of Cisalpine Gaul then I suspect that they will soon gain all of Gaul, and then, very likely, invaded Italy, adding further to the delicious confusion.

BTW, seeing as how this is turning out to be a very interesting campaign, with, dare I say it, very clever AI, that clearly demonstrates the value of the various improvements available in the unoficical mods section, I am thinking of doing an ARR in Kulhmanns style on it. Do you lot think this is a good idea?
    Asia ton Barbaron The new eastern mod for eb!

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

Default Re: Megale Hellas

We are moving the Epeirote family member to the mainland and removing one other unit also from the Taras garrison in the next release. That is my understanding of the situation. Hope that provides you with more understanding of where we are going with it.

Smile Re: Megale Hellas

Yes, but which cities actulay make Megale Hellas? As for the changes, acctualy, IMHO it is fine as it is, but I expect you people know best.

Laziest member of the team My red balloons, as red as the blood of he who mentioned Galatians.
    Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?

do I include Capua or not? or maybe not Arpi? Any thoughts welcome
    I think you should. DEFFINITELY. Kyme or Cumae was in there, and so was Neapolis, or Napoli. Both were 2 of the most important colonies in the region.

Greeks or Graeci are called so because of a Neapolis suburb, called Graia or Graea meaning "old lady"-at least so says the most accepted theory.

Graeci-"Inhabitants of Graea".

You like EB? Buy CA games.

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Sicily (either the western 2/3 or all of it), Taras, Rhegium, and possibly Campania.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

im pretty sure its sicily (3/3) rhegion, taras, arpi, and capua

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

I wouldn't add in Apulia (which is where Apri is) it was most apulian not greek, most of the greek colonies that far north were on the west coast. Look at a map of the colonization.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Here you go. This is a comprehensive list of Greek settlements in southern Italy from the book Rome and the Western Greeks, 350 BC-AD 200: Conquest and Acculturation in Southern Italy

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Smile Re: Megale Hellas

Cool, thanks

Roma Victor!

Yous ee gishes?