Thread: Campaign error, please help.

Question Campaign error, please help.

EDIT: needed to make 1 or more post before i could put up urls
    I wish i could put a proper sig on here. What image can i put up for 10kb?

Default Re: Campaign error, please help.

Hi, i made a new campaign map with the TiME editor, it was basically just to learn how to mod the campaign map and get some experience in doing it. I havent actually been able to get it to load yet . I have gone through and corrected several show_err's and CTD's and thought i was going well as i could always figure out what i did wrong from the errors, until i got hit with this baby:

"Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/Isles_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 53, column 12.

could not create settlement as script line 53."

I've been trying to fix it for about 2 hours now and still cant figure out why it wont work.

Here is my descr_strat.txt

http://www.mediafire.com/?8tuurpuefmt

And here are all the other files in my campaign directory, incase you need to reference from them.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2bg9fdddomd

Thank you for your help

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

I assume you looked at line 53 ? identify which settlement its on about. Check in the descr_regions.txt file that it exists with the same spelling. Check where it is in map by writing down RGB colour from descr_regions.txt and identifying it on map_regions.tga . See if it's city pixel is close to coast / likely to be over a river or impassible ground_type etc.

I'm not sure how many of those things the TiME editor deals with (I don't personally use it)

If you still can't find problem could you upload somewhere else please, that site seems to require a log-in to download the files and not many people are likely to bother doing that. http://www.megaupload.com/ would do if you don't know of any others.

EDIT: & welcome to the forums :)
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Yes i have looked up and down the entire decr_strat.txt about 10 times, especially line 53, i still cant find out why its causing any errors. I have triple checked that the region in decr_regions.txt has the same name (even case sensitive). Just to make sure i changed the region's RGB color and updated them in decr_regions.txt there is no error there, unless Photoshop CS is giving me the wrong RGB. Its black city pixel is in the middle of the terrain, not near any coasts (i saw someone else with a similar problem when i searched the forums for this issue, and you told him it might be a problem with the ports, so i removed all port buildings and took away the white dots in the .tga also). I only put one type of terrain on each region, no rivers or impassable ground types (unless low, medium and high fertile are impassable.

PS: thank you for giving me that link, i didnt know that the other web host required a log-in (what a joke). Here are the files uploaded in megaupload.

Descr_strat.txt - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RW7BVU79

Campaign folder (if u need it) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TN1T4797

Thanks for ur help Makanyane

you need to use RGB 1 1 1 or lighter greyscale for the 'black' on map_heights, you've got RGB 0 0 0 which is pure black - which the game thinks is sea. Its objecting to that city because it's the first one in descr_strat - you'll have the same problem with the others.
    Download the:

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

I just noticed that this was missing from my guide. Updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    you need to use RGB 1 1 1 or lighter greyscale for the 'black' on map_heights, you've got RGB 0 0 0 which is pure black - which the game thinks is sea. Its objecting to that city because it's the first one in descr_strat - you'll have the same problem with the others.
    Ahh thank you very much. I took that black from the .tga TiME gave me with a eyedrop tool, i thought it would be fine. Very fast replies Makanyane, you should be a full mod for sure

Damn, i just tried it, made sure all the dots were 1 1 1 that didnt work, so i tried 4 4 4 and that didnt work, i still get the same message.

One quick question, because you said 'dots', you do realise I was talking about the black on map_heights.tga and not the individual pixels for the cities on map_regions.tga didn't you? (I did say heights)

The city pixels on map_regions.tga should be pure black = 0 0 0
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    One quick question, because you said 'dots', you do realise I was talking about the black on map_heights.tga and not the individual pixels for the cities on map_regions.tga didn't you? (I did say heights)

The city pixels on map_regions.tga should be pure black = 0 0 0
    Hahaha indeed that was the problem, my mistake, thats what i get for trying to read really late thank you again Makanyane!