Thread: Your favourite radio shows?

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Default Your favourite radio shows?

What are your favourite radio shows? I always make time to listen to The Today Programme on BBC Radio 4 in the morning, and The Radcliffe and Maconie Show on Radio 2 in the evening. They can be listened to online here and here respectively, for any non-Brits interested.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: Your favourite radio shows?

When my shortwave worked, I liked to listen to Voice of America and the BBC. Also, there was one hardcore religious fundamentalist who was a riot to listen to. I can't remember his name, but he was on TV a lot (I think he had his own channel) as well as on the shortwave. He wore a cowboy hat, two pairs of glasses(!) and always had a cigar in his mouth. He was a lot of fun sometimes.

I liked Art Bell, too. He always had funky UFO and conspiracy stuff going on.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

I haven't listened to radio shows since I was a kid. As a teen, I loved listening to Mystery Theater after going to bed, with my transistor radio under my pillow. Man, haven't thought about that in 30 years....
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

I like listening to Today as well, though I do get riled by the increasing obsession with living up to its own reputation as a graveyard for politicians. Even the sports presenter tries to be nasty.

BBC Radio 4 has some good documentaries and comedy programmes too - most especially the iconic "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" which is the funniest programme for me on any medium.

For background music or in the car I listen to RTÉ Lyric, but rarely listen to the radio for music.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Favourite is I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, and I enjoy listening to From Our Own Correspondent, there are often interesting things there that you wouldn't usually hear about.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I forgot my favorite. (Isn't it always the way.)

Ideas on CBC Radio. An hour long radio documentary every night about... something. One entire week was a series of lectures about early immigration movements into North America through Siberia and over the Atlantic, some of it going back to 15,000BC. Fascinating stuff.

Other nights you get a whole hour about chocolate, or a bio of a historical figure, or a show about quantum mechanics. Really diverse, always intelligent.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Another vote for Today.

Just to liven things up a bit though, Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show was essential listening when I was a kid.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag