Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System Requirements

Default System Requirements

Hi Chaps

Downloading EB now but I am wondering if my computer can handle its specs? I have a 128mb inbuilt graphics card (but updating to a 256mb dedicated card this week) with a Genuine Intel (R) CPU running 2140 @ 1.60 ghz 1.60 ghz and 767 mb RAM.

I know that EB ups the demand from RTW and wonder if my PC can handle it. What do you think?

Default Re: System Requirements

You should be fine - especially with the new graphics card. Might not be able to play on the Huge setting, but definitely Large.

Your RAM will probably not be enough to play without lag. Many who experience crashes or freezes on the battlemap have very little RAM, possibly you'll get some of that too. Your number is a curious one though, what did you do to the last megabyte? Scratched one chip, killing a million flip-flops ?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I have no idea - just reading off the specs given by the Computer Control Panel System Pane. It's running Vista Home Premium. Thanks for the comments - still downloading for another 30-odd minutes so will update when (if) I can install it correctly!

Ah, it's probably the BIOS not recognizing a few MB. Happens all the time; especially with hard drive space.

The missing hard drive space is because a portion of the space is used when formatting it, assigning addresses for all the rest of the drive so your OS knows how to work it, where there is occupied and free space etc. Can't remember ever seeing it reported false for memory, but it won't matter.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I had to upgrade a system from 1GB of RAM to 2GB of ram, just because EB was sputtering after a couple hours of game play :)
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

I'm at 3 gigs right now. EB will take up almost 2 gigs by itself after a few hours...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

What's the rest of your PC then?!

I found 2Gb of RAM to be way beyond sufficient for EB - actually EB runs much faster than Vanilla did on my previous system... (If I don't toggle the FOW to monitor AI expansion, that is.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: System Requirements

I have a 3 GHz P4, a 128 MB ATI 9800, and 2GB RAM, and EB runs good. Only if I fight a battle at a bridge (what I try to avoid), I get realy serious problems, with about 1 - 2 fps. It's really a pain, these battles take ages. In the open countryside, my Compi can handle 6000 to 7000 soldiers without problems, with 8000 it gets difficult already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    What's the rest of your PC then?!

I found 2Gb of RAM to be way beyond sufficient for EB - actually EB runs much faster than Vanilla did on my previous system... (If I don't toggle the FOW to monitor AI expansion, that is.)

I have a Athlon X2 4400+, 3 Gigs RAM, 260 Gig hard drive, and 7600GT video card on Vista Home Premium.

After a few hours of EB it'll easily be using 1.9 Gigs of RAM (as shown in task manager
    Last edited by mcantu; 07-09-2007 at 22:19.
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

It's the combination of Vista + 'only' 256Mb GFX memory that's killing your RAM then...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Yeah, Vista will take up to another 480 MB of RAM if needed...

OK - downloaded and installed and seem to have the following problems:

A] the desktop shortcut does not link to the mod and every time I click on it a pane pops up to ask me to fix it, I click 'yes', it launches EB and I have to go through the same process again if I want to launch EB again . . .

B] EB's loading screen comes up and then CTD with the following error message -

error eb/data/settlement_plans/oasis.txt@line4 column 18

file data/settlement_plans/underlays_oasis_test.cas does not exist.

I have no idea what all that means but I have re-installed and repaired EB twice now and still the same problems - no desktop shortcut and CTD at loading screen.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am itching to get into this version of RTW

If the desktop shortcut does not point to the correct RomeTW.exe, you may have installed it into the wrong directory, or one with special characters in its name.

The oasis error may be fixed by the CTD fix for the oasis, see the link in my sig. It's called temporary as it's not necessary for most people, but you might have to keep it permanently.

================
    ================

Athlon XP 2400+ 2,0ghz~
    ATI Radeon 9550 256mb 128bits
    512mb RAM

I play it on Huge and 1280~1024 75hz
    Believe me
    if I can, so does you :V

sorry for my poor english
    Last edited by marioo!; 07-10-2007 at 04:07.

I play with a 1.6 pentium 4, 384 mb ram, and a NVidia Geforce4 440 Go, on a laptop from 2002. Large units, all graphics settings on low.

OK - thanks for the info. Please forgive my clumsy ignorance but I have downloaded the winrar file and if I am right I am to copy and then paste it over the same in the data/descr_settlements_plan file? I have tried this and keep getting refused - access is denied and no files to extract, etc. I know I am doing something hideously wrong but as I am very PC illiterate I have no idea what?!

You do not copy the archive, you unpack it. Make sure to backup your descr_settlement_plan.txt file. Then open the RAR file and drag the descr_settlement_plan.txt file from the Winrar application window to your eb/data folder. RTW must not be running when you do so or Windows will deny access.

================
    ================

I see. OK - did that and ran the program which went past the loading screen into the Intro/campaign screen. Selected options and faction and then it went to loading screen - froze after a awhile and CTD - with like a hundred error messages about missing files, etc . . . I am guessing that I have somehow screwed up in moving files about

I am now re-installing the entire download for my sins

Install went great and was able to launch EB but - my god - it took ages. Then the Campaign screen was awfully laggy and the Italian penninsula covered in pink. The cursor slewed around the screen like a drunken paper aeroplane and everything took ages to activate when clicked on. Initiated a siege battle in the south just to see how it would play (normal unit size) and it played like a dream - fast, etc.

Quit the game to watch 'Rome' on BBC 2 and now tried to launch again but no luck. Campaign load screen has hung.

I think that my PC's specs are too weak

Shame, as the units in the siege battle looked amazing - oh well.

You could still play multiplayer you know, as the battle is fast enough .

================
    ================

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Longovicium
    Hi Chaps

Downloading EB now but I am wondering if my computer can handle its specs? I have a 128mb inbuilt graphics card (but updating to a 256mb dedicated card this week) with a Genuine Intel (R) CPU running 2140 @ 1.60 ghz 1.60 ghz and 767 mb RAM.

I know that EB ups the demand from RTW and wonder if my PC can handle it. What do you think?
    That's about identical to my old computer but with a better graphics card. EB ran just fine with that old setup (finished second in the grand Worst EB Dev computer race we had back then, though it was admittedly a congested second place), the loading times were quite long but manageable.

Edit: I'm guessing your card has pixel shader support, which enables the pretty trees everywhere, and they're a resource hog, especially with shadows enabled. Graphics card memory shouldn't be a problem, my old card was a GeForce 4 MX440... that's 64 MB, iirc.
    Last edited by The_Mark; 07-11-2007 at 23:42.

Oh, yeah, you tried setting all the graphics settings to the lowest, right?

================
    ================

Well, I went with the auto-detect best settings on the main screen. But as I couldn't even load up the second time, I wasn't able to adjust anything. I am trying again now to load . . .

EB wise how is my PC ?

1 gig of ram
    AMD 3400 + rated at 2.2 ghz
    7900 GS made by eVGA

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Yeah, same problem. Took ages to load the first screen and I disabled all the graphic options (despite auto-detect saying I could use them), selected main EB campaign, then chose Roman faction, then it went to loading screen . . . and nothing for ages. had to re-boot PC again. No joy. I guess Vista Home Premium eats up too much processor power?

Oh, hehe, I didn't catch that you use Vista before. You definitely need more RAM, Vista hogs more resources than XP.

================
    ================

Simulation Monkey Member The_Mark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    You definitely need more RAM, Vista hogs more resources than XP.
    Definitely. On my new laptop with ginormous 2GB RAM Vista eats 300-800 MB on idle.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mark
    Definitely. On my new laptop with ginormous 2GB RAM Vista eats 300-800 MB on idle.

Vista scales RAM usage depending on how much you have. Its working under the premise that if the RAM is sitting idle, its being wasted. Adjust the indexing settings to free some up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast