Thread: Debit cards

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Default Debit cards

Just wondering, but in Britain, how old do you have to be to apply for a debit card? I've been getting conflicting results, some places say 16, others 18, while some say it's difficult to get one if you're under 18.

It would be good to know, as i plan to get one to pay for my EVE Online subscription and fuel my addiction. Also because it would be nice to use an ATM whenever i'm caught short of money in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Debit cards

I don't honestly know - but even if there is one offered at 16 check the terms and conditions carefully -- some "young persons' accounts" can have higher charges because the banks think they're doing you a favour. Also bear in mind you made need a certain minimum opening balance or monthly deposit.

But a debit card is a wise choice (as opposed to a credit card) as you can only spend money you actually have, and generally can earn interest instead of paying it
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

There are some types of card, ie, Solo, that you can use under 18.

Whatever you do, dont get an AMEX.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Don't pay for Eve online by debit card you should buy timecards, I've got the website for an American company that sells them and because you pay US prices it works out much cheaper, think I pay £19 for 3 months.

If you want the address send me a pm and that'll remind me when I get home.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

If you get one under 18 it will be Switch or Solo, Visa Electron or some rubbish.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    If you get one under 18 it will be Switch or Solo, Visa Electron or some rubbish.
    Doesn't that cover just about all debit cards?

No, there's still Visa and Mastercard. Speaking as someone who has to process card payments, the Visa Electron really frightens me - very little security checking.

Discussion forum thread

They're credit cards as opposed to debit.

My debit cards are both Visa....

Discussion forum thread

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

I believe that you can have a debit card from 16 (or maybe earlier). It will be a Solo or Electron card. These accounts are more restricted, especially regards overdraft facilities and other sorts of credit. They may also have higher charges or penalties because the young user is considered a risk, also they may not be as widely accepted. These cards are also available to people with bad credit ratings, whereas a Visa Debit or Maestro (the old Switch) card will not be.

Credit cards on the other hand are only available to over 18s.

Why are you asking us anyway? Go to you local banks and find out what they offer.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ja'chyra
    Ah, I shouldn't have put Switch in there. That's a proper card.

Visa Electron and Solo are the U-18 ones.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.