Thread: diplomacy or lack of and stubborness of gauls.

Default diplomacy or lack of and stubborness of gauls.

Hi all, I just discovered the mod and I have to say I love it.

But I have had a couple of problems, one mainly as the Romans and another in all of my games.

1. The Gauls are way too stubborn. Even when I reduce them to just 1-2 cities they never, ever accept a ceasefire, much less a protectorate. I'd like to turn to conquering Carthage/the Greeks rather than keep chasing down their last cities/keeping massive occupation troops.

2. Alliance betrayals. This I dont understand. In my roman game, the Germans were my allies, then as I'm about to conquer the last of the gauls they suddenly invade and besiege a number of cities in Italy! And as Carthage, I happily unified all of Spain except the one rebel city the Lusitanians told me not too and while I'm facing a Roman invasion in the East they Lustianians suddenly back stab me.

Is this just the way RTW Ai is programmed ? And so should my first move be to conquer my own allies since their betrayal often comes at most inconvenient moments...

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Default Re: diplomacy or lack of and stubborness of gauls.

RTW AI Diplomacy is pretty...dysfunctional to say the least. It lives up to its "Total War" motto a little too much. The EB FAQ states that you'd get a slightly more stable and reasonable AI if money's involved -- for example, giving them a 100 denarii per turn tribute for a long, long period of time. But I never bothered as I prefer to smash any idiots stupid enough to try and take me down, so I can't say for sure it'll work.

Otherwise if you share a border with anyone it's a guaranteed war.

The "We'll never surrender" phenomenon is not exclusive to the Celts. Some people resort to the console command "force_diplomacy" to get the AI to accept the peace deal, but I think you need to download something first to do that in EB...

It's just the RTW Ai, can't be helped really.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The diplomacy is completely hardcoded and a headache for everyone.

At least in M2TW, a completely crushed nation will negotiate. EB2 may have some nice diplomatic opertunities.

Heh...at least we can say we're prompt.

I feel your pain. I ended up destroying the Guals because they wouldn't leave me alone. So I do that and then the Germans out of nowhere attack me even though I've been feeding them money. I pretty much said screw it and quit.

Could always use the Force Diplomacy minimod. Found here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80763

It is a nice little tool to force those stubborn factions into submitting instead of just exterminating them outright. Won't keep them from attacking you, but can temporarily end wars.

EB Mini-Mods currently used in my Romani Campaign:
    Spoils of Victory for EB 1.1
    Force Diplomacy Minimod for EB

MTW2 currently in use:
    BBB Titles Mod for MTW2