Thread: Jewish Faction and other questions...

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Default Jewish Faction and other questions...

Is it possible to create a Jewish Faction? I'm working on a mod that starts in 623 and ends 1078, and it would include the Khazar Kingdom. If not, is thier any loop holes I can take advantage of?

What are the commands for the Upgrade section of the BuildingsProd?
    I know of UPGRADE_VALOR, UPGRADE_MORALE, and UPGRADE_DISCIPLINE, but are there any others?

Is it possible to have the FN_07 faction work within the main campaign? I am concerned though that it would cause crashes.

Just wondering.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Default Re: Jewish Faction and other questions...

To answer your first question, yes it is possible. Find the following in the startpos file:

Code:
    //========================================
    //Faction Religions
    //The main faith of each of the factions
    //========================================
    and to set your faction as Jewish type this:

Code:
    SetReligion:: FACTION_NAME		REL_JEWISH
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

The only other upgrade commands are UPGRADE_ARMOUR and UPGRADE_WEAPON.
    #Hillary4prism

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Hi YourLordandConqueror,

I've done both in a mod I'm working on: I have Israelites who are set to REL_JEWISH and all the faith propagation etc works fine, priests do their stuff, and it shows correctly as Jewish on the religious balance parts of the provincial parchments. Obviously, there is NO JEWISH CULTURE setting in MTW, so I used ORTHODOX_CULTURE and it worked fine As I had not used orthodox for any other factions this was bit of a boon - I had expected the Jewish religion to not work and had been planning to rename Orthodox to Jewish all through. I thought, well I'm sure it will CTD, but I'll see if REL_JEWISH works anyway, and it did I now have an Orthodox Jewish faction

You can use FN_07 - in my mod it is a barbarian faction, set to "barbarian raider" behaviour in the start pos, and they behave just like Vikings - ie can ship out without a port etc. I think they also get the raiding bonus, at least they always trash any province they take

HOWEVER, you may need to use FN_number rather than FN_name for ALL factions for this to work, I'm not 100% sure. I suspect that using "FN_English, FN_HRE, FN_07, FN_Almohad" will not work. The game seems to "know" when you are using numbers as opposed to names (ie I couldn't use FN_21 in my mod without defining FN_20 first, for instance).

Rythmic had the full dope on upgrades, above. Finally, one tip:

UPGRADE_VALOR
    if this doesn't work, it's because the game "speaks" British not American English

GL with the Khazar Khanate - I started harbouring plans to add this faction into my copy of XL once I discovered the REL_JEWISH actually worked
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

So Rel_???? and ????_CULTURE are seperate from each other? Thats great! Opens up new Horizens for me...

Just out of curiosity, does FN_07 have a name?

Another question(s). Is it possible to get the Swiss, Burgundians, Papacy, and Novgorod to work GA wise? I'm also having problems with Custom factions too, and I don't know why.

I'm having problems with BIF editing in that most if not all my BIFS have a off color background (generally green, unless I foolishly tried to change it) instead of the normal transparent background. I am using CA tools, Bif23, and PSP.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

I was always under the impression that REL and CULTURE had to match, which is why I had no great hopes for the REL_JEWISH working, but it seems, at least in the case of Jewish, that you can get away with it. Whether any other combinations of multi-culturalism will work I couldn't honestly say, as I haven't tried it.

As I undertsand it, there are two 'systems' for faction naming - either numbers, ie FN_00 through to FN_31, which is the "Viking Invasion" system where FN_07 was originally assigned to the Viking faction and enables the raiding coding/behaviour and HAS NO POPE, and the "Mediaeval" system with names, as in FN_REBEL, FN_ENGLISH, FN_PAPIST etc etc. I don't think you can mix the two. Other quirks include the HRE in the Mediaeval system that has elections if the Emperor dies off without heirs, and I suspect that crusades and jihads won't work in the "VI" system, but as I haven't tried implementing either I can't be sure.

With BIFs, green is the transparent colour - specifically the green with hex code 008000 (or in RGB I think that's 0, 127, 0) which ALSO has to be the first indexed colour - " pen 0 " in ReadBif (I think this is what you mean by Bif23?)

For BIF work I tend to use ReadBIF and Photoshop - by exporting BIF frames to BMP format, they can be opened with PS and worked on there. What I do tend to do once I open a BMP in PS, if I'm just making a few changes, is save the palette (aka 'colour table') straight away, then convert to RGB mode to do the work (more editing options in RGB mode ) then when it's finished, convert back into BMP format USING THE SAVED PALETTE. This keeps the faction colours, transparency etc properly indexed for going back into ReadBIF to convert back to BIF format. I now have quite a library of palettes I can load up (eg for info_pics, monochrome reviewpanel graphics, colour reviewpanel graphics etc) and that saves a lot of duplication and keeps things consistent, too.

Afraid I can't help you with the GA question - as I have been using the VI faction system, this isn't an option.

What sort of problems have you had with the custom factions?

EDIT: I just thought maybe you can institute a Pope using the VI faction naming system by defining one faction as POPE using the SetFactionBehaviour section....
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 07-11-2007 at 17:09.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

With Custom factions and the Swiss, Burgundies, Nov's, and Pope, every time I start a GA game and attempt to go to the GA goals screen for one of the above factions, it CTD's

Where can I get photoshop (preferably free)?

Yet another question. Is it possible to setup a Jewish Culture? Also, can Heretic also work the same way? I have plans for my Goths...

Speaking of which, does anyone have a list of major powers during 623-1078? I really don't want to have to copy BI, at any level...

REL_HERETIC, should work.
    #Hillary4prism

Quote Originally Posted by YourLordandConqueror
    With Custom factions and the Swiss, Burgundies, Nov's, and Pope, every time I start a GA game and attempt to go to the GA goals screen for one of the above factions, it CTD's

Where can I get photoshop (preferably free)?

Yet another question. Is it possible to setup a Jewish Culture? Also, can Heretic also work the same way? I have plans for my Goths...

Speaking of which, does anyone have a list of major powers during 623-1078? I really don't want to have to copy BI, at any level...
    Major powers from a Atlas of World History

(around 623)
    ---------------
    Umayyad Caliphate
    Byzantine Empire
    Khazar Empire
    Kingdom of Asturias
    Aquitaune
    Frankish Kingdom
    Avar Empire
    Irish Kingdoms
    Scottish Kingdom
    Picts
    Wessex
    Northumbria
    Mercia
    West Wales
    Wales
    Kent
    Anglia
    Denmark
    Norsemen
    Kingdom of the Lombards
    Saxony
    Bulgaria
    Slavics
    Baltic Peoples
    Finnic Peoples
    Croats
    Gascony
    Septimania

Also...
    Bulgars
    Gothic Alans
    Angles
    Some I dunno about...
    -----------------
    Berber Tribes
    Armenia
    Magyars

Pick and choose I guess...