Thread: 'Lost Crusade' notes

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default 'Lost Crusade' notes

I don't know how many other people are doing the Ghazette challenge, but I figured I'd post my notes from my run through. I finished in 1188, the primary hurdle being the Cathedral in Jerusalem. I know I could've done it three turns faster, and in theory it should be possible to complete it about 6-8 turns faster with a lot of luck or reloads.

For the start I left Henry to defend the 'Abandoned Fort' while King Rufus and the majority of my army hired a Galley and headed, first, for Tunis. I experimented with saving my money and hiring a second Galley by landing at Sicily on turn 2, but eventually decided I was better to spend it in the first turn by repairing the fort and training Hobilars. King Rufus was dropped off with some of the former crusaders to conquer Tunis while my other two generals made for Jerusalem at top speed. Venice had besieged the Fort by this point, and were landing more troops the next turn, so I sallied to break them, and because they had primarily cavalry units I was easily able to hold against both besieging armies.

Meanwhile I conquered Tunis, and considered holding it for a few turns to try to generate income, but the Sicilians landed a full stack the very next turn, so I abandoned Tunis and moved east into Moorish lands. King Rufus had gotten a start down the Dread path, and I developed him along those lines. The Moors may have had ample money, but their garrisons were an embarassment, and with only a few other units in his command Rufus was able to move through and sack all of their holdings in Africa, drawing particular benefit from the sack of their furthest western settlement, where we reached solvency and hired a merchant (For Timbuktu) and a spy to scout through Spain. I'd thought to do a little more raiding in Spain, but looking at the timeline in Jerusalem decided I needed to move north with more speed.

By the time Rufus had rampaged across North Africa, the Prince and his companion had conquered Jerusalem and Acre, razing all the building at Acre in anticipation of the full stack of Egyptians lying in ambush reconquering it quickly. That Egyptian force just kind of sat there, however, so I held Acre with no structures until the end. The single galley, upon dropping off the Prince, headed back west to grab King Rufus. My first mistake, losing at least one turn on the Cathedral development, was sacking Jerusalem. I got plenty of cash for it, much needed cash seeing as I'd developed my way 20k in the hole, but even with a decently chivalrous governer the population growth was slowed. I quickly moved to take Gaza as well.

Meanwhile, at the old fort, the Byzantines had worn down poor Henry's forces to a nub, and Venice had sued for peace, paying me off nicely for the privelege (They were the last successful bit of diplomacy I accomplished). When a full stack of Byzantines landed next door to the fort, Henry abandoned it and his much reduced forces hopped the galley as it sailed by.

While Henry and Rufus sailed north to Caernarvon (I figured it was better to capture the fort first if it was still rebel held, or Dublin first if someone had taken over England) the Prince ransacked his way through Egypt. Cairo, Alexandria, and Dongola fell quickly to the horde, with Cairo and Alexandria being kept intact to generate funds. At this point the Pope called a crusade to Antioch. Convenient! The Prince joined up and headed north, wiping out a few rebels and 'Jerusalem or Bust' Jihads along the way. My economy was nearly self sufficient at this point, and I developed the ability to train Yeoman at Gaza, though they weren't strictly necessary.

Landing at Caernarvon, dropping the spy off on the spit south of it, I discovered that England was still a rebel land, for the moment. I crushed Caernarvon. My second mistake, as far as time, was here as I debated how long it would take me to get to Cathedral-able population at Jerusalem. I realized then that I'd had Jeru at 'High' taxes for ten years... ARGH! :: Dumped it, did the math, and realized there was no time to develop Cae, Mailed Knights would be the best it could offer realiztically in my time frame.

Meanwhile, the next turn the Portuguese landed a pair of decent stacks by Cae, sailing right around my Galley. Rufus picked up all the mercs in the area, and squashed them, hiring on a couple of mercenary ships as well to defend the coast, and sailed for Dublin while sending Henry for York. York fell quickly while my spy watched the Danes, and Henry recruited more mercenaries for the trip north. I got a Papal warning for besieging the Scots at Edinburgh, but I gambled that they hadn't taken Inverness so and wiped them out, moving on Inverness and crushing their suddenly rebel forces the next year.

In the Holy Lands Antioch was eventually sacked, and two more Jihad attempts by the Turks were turned back. I slowed the pace a bit here to not strain my economy, but it might've been a mistake, as I almost ran out of funds before I could sack the Turkish capital at Edessa. Jerusalem finally became large enough to build a Cathedral, and the time crunch was on to wrap things up in four turns.

Sack Dublin and Inverness, and head south for London and Nottingham leaving minimal garrisons behind to maintain loyalty. My mercenary fleets were sinking the scattered Portuguese ships that came north. The garrison at London looks tough, and they even think they're tough, sallying out against me as soon as I siege them, but they break under heavy charges from my mailed Knights, and my when my King slips behind them and claims the city square, the last unit of spearmen that hadn't ever made it out of the city breaks and surrenders. Meanwhile at Nottingham the Danes have a potential relief force waiting in the wings, but it never budges, and I squish the city the turn before my Cathedral completes. 1188, and England is reunited. The AI is as dumb as a bag of hammers on the strategic map, *frequently* leaving nearly full stacks standing around while I sack their minimal garrison capital cities.

The best battles, IMHO, were the early ones in North Africa, where I had to disrupt much larger and better armies as they sieged that crappy fort while pillaging my way to Gibraltar. I enjoyed some of the fights in England as well, while the battles in the Holy Lands were, by and large, embarassing AI efforts.

The best places to shave time off my effort would be:

1. Walk to Tunis.
    2. Keep taxes very low on Jerusalem while holding the highest Chiv general there and building only population/church buildings.
    3. Streamline the trip to England by sacking on the European mainland possibly. Better merc availability too.

Can't wait to hear how everyone (Anyone?) else is doing!

Ramses II

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: 'Lost Crusade' notes

I am interested as well, if just to know how many people are actually trying it. So far I haven't received a single PM with a 'result'. If we don't get some responses on the Gahzette Challenge, we probably won't continue to run it.

On the off chance that some people have no idea what this is about, here's the section from the Gahzette:

The Gahzette Challenge

Have you never been defeated in battle? Do you think the TW games are too easy? Are you bored by the same old starting positions? The Gahzette Challenge is made for you! Download the saved game and see if you can achieve the victory conditions faster than anyone else.

Gahzette Challenge 1: The Lost Crusade

In 1095, the First Crusade was called to capture Jerusalem. A large contingent of English nobles responded to the call and set sail for glory and profit in the East. Weeks of bad weather separated the English fleet from the rest of the Crusade and on one dark evening a huge storm arose, severely battering the ships. The English Crusaders managed to ground their fleet on a desolate shore without much loss of life, but the ships would never sail again. They took shelter in a nearby abandoned fort. In the morning, they assessed their situation. They still had a large and powerful army, but their warchest would not be able to feed such a force for long without outside assistance. Cut off from the Crusade, out of contact with their homelands, the English were divided as to what to do. Some wanted to return to England. Others wanted to continue on to Jerusalem.

Game Setup:

Game: M2TW 1.2 (unmodded)
    Faction: England
    Difficulty: VH/VH
    Starting Year: 1096
    Battle Time Limit: On
    Manage All Settlements: On
    All AI factions start with an extra 100,000 florins, except Papal States, Rebels, Mongols, Timurids, and Aztecs

Victory Conditions: Control London, Nottingham, Caernarvon, York, Edinburgh, Inverness, Dublin, Jerusalem, and Antioch. Jerusalem must have a Cathedral (Regular or Huge). The player who achieves these victory conditions in the earliest game year wins.

Saved Game: http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/lostcrusade.zip

To submit a winning game, send a PM with a link to a copy of the saved game to TinCow before July 25th.
    Last edited by TinCow; 07-09-2007 at 22:12.

I am interested as well, if just to know how many people are actually trying it. So far I haven't received a single PM with a 'result'. If we don't get some responses on the Gahzette Challenge, we probably won't continue to run it.
    I got one, and thought I'd forwarded it to you - sorry; done now
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

It's a lot of fun, a good challenge. I'm thinking I may take another run at it, try to shave some of those turns off.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Excellent write-ups guys.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Wrapped up my second run. My most obvious mistake in run 1 was sacking Jerusalem for cash, so in run 2 I determined to sack, well, everything else between me and England for cash. I sacked my way from Sicily to Bruges with my King and Prince, and actually sent poor Henry delving into Germany's rich, juicy center for cash. I probably went overboard there, but it added fun, and I don't *think* it cost me any turns.

The middle east went more or less as before, crushing foolish Egyptians, building churchs and population adders until I could put up a Cathedral. I got the chance to upgrade Jerusalem's city size a turn earlier than I expected, so I ended up in quite a crunch to get England conquered (My King had turned aside to sack Paris along the way). I managed it, throwing off a stubborn Spanish siege at Caernarvon on the turn that the Cathedral finished, in 1162.

If you haven't tried this challenge, you should. I enjoyed having a goal other than dismantling the AI. Figuring out which family member would work best in Jerusalem, and the number of turns to get the population up, etc. adds an more stimulating mental angle too.

My best battles in this one were in England at the end, when I had to fight the vastly superior garrisons at Nottingham and London, not to mention Spanish and Danish attacks, with crude militia troops and battered mercs. I had a thread where I tried to reconcile with the Pope after sacking Rome, but he wanted the friggin' moon (20k florins and three cities, including Rome, wasn't enough) so I ditched the whole idea of diplomacy. I also gave the AI a shot at jumping the population up, but it was faster to do it myself while building the lower churches IMHO.

I think it could be done 2 turns faster, but it would require some luck to get the population numbers climbing earlier.

Oh, and sorry I PM'd the wrong person twice. I have no idea what I was thinking.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP
    Oh, and sorry I PM'd the wrong person twice. I have no idea what I was thinking.
    Nope, not at all. It's perfectly fine to submit them to either sapi or myself.

Now if we could just get some more people to play it...