Thread: About them dead cows flying around...

Default About them dead cows flying around...

I just noticed trebuchets have the option to toss dead cows around the battlefield..

I'm at work now and havent had time to really test this, but it seems like a cool feature from what I've seen.

Does anyone know how they function exactly?

Heavy Metal Warlord Member Von Nanega's Avatar

Default Re: About them dead cows flying around...

I find them better for defence than for when you attack. Any unit, (including yours) that walks through the cloud of flies gets a green banner showing that they are sick. This presumably lowers the morale and attack of the affected units. That is why they are better for defence, the enemy comes to you.
    Cap badge of the Queens Royal Lancers

The Death or Glory Boys

I concur. However, offence and defence are in essence not much different from each other. The main advantageous point here, which Von Nanega stated, is the foe approaching you instead of you approaching the foe.

In defence, combine rotten cow cadavers with other constant tools such as fiery arrows, plain arrows, artillery, etc., and your approaching foe will suffer much even before the main battle commences.

NOTE: make certain the launched cows are not near your defence line where you will engage in mêlée. Cease your cow-launching if the enemy is too close, otherwise your own troops may be affected thereby.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

rotting cows are particularly effective against militia units and peasants, those guys start running quite fast after being infected with it =)

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Rotting cows are nice when defending a city against the Mongols or Timurids or during bridge battles. Anyone walking past the carcass will have less stomach to attack you hehehehe
    Tosa Inu

anyone know how big the penalty is?

Penalty is enough to get anyone running after affected and your full cavalry charge to flanks.
    EDIT: tried this with silver star peasants and all random units, none at golden stars thou.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Cease your cow-launching if the enemy is too close
    I love these boards!

Where else can you read a line like that and have it make absolutely perfect sense?

"No swords for you wannabes! Get back to poking!"
    - Dopp -

Just to give an example how to use them in bridge battles (and other choke-point battles)

What I do when fighting mongols, is to bring a trebuchet (just 1) for the cow carcass throwing, and then throw it on the far side of the bridge. All his units will be affected, and they will flee like children.
    "Screw you guys, I'm going home..."
    -Eric Cartman, Southpark

impressive. talking about a bridge of the dead (pity that the dead bodies don't actually fall into the river in the animation)

mine are not as impressive. the AI usually takes casualties mostly at the end of the bridge - MY end. On the bright side, my empire ALWAYS have employment for young, fresh and bright-eyed spearmen...
    (keeping the unemployment % low since 1100)

i am not very good with the trebuchet, i found that in siege, sometimes it would missed and hit the MY wall instead (my fault for giving auto-fire), or, in the open, my troops will spend an eternity avoiding the noxious gases, only to waltz into during the fight or pursue anyway. once again - auto-fire and too many (4-5 units)
    Shinai Fodder

Personally,I think the fringe benefit of killing the enemy general by decapitating him with a flung cow is one of the funnier things you can do...