Thread: Why romani?

Default Why romani?

Hi all
    I am a newbe to the forum, but I'v been a 'lurker' for some time. First I want to thank you for the great mode EB is - keep up the excellent work.
    Coming back to the topic - I was wondering why the Romans in EB are named "Romani"? All other factions are named in their languages with the name of the state/tribe/kingdom they live in. As far as I know "romani" in latin means 'from Rome' and is not a proper name for the roman state witch - in my opinion - should be SPQR (Senatus PopulusQue Romanus) or Roma. Could you please explain a reason behind the "Romani"?
    If there is another thread about this please redirect me there as I couldnt find any.
    And again awsome mode - thanks.
    G

EB Token Radical Member QwertyMIDX's Avatar

Default Re: Why romani?

Factions have both a formal and an informal name. The formal name (for example when you select the faction at the start of the campaign) is SPQR. Romani is the informal name. It's like Americans and United States of America.
    History is for the future not the past. The dead don't read.

Operam et vitam do Europae Barbarorum.

History does not repeat itself. The historians repeat one another. - Max Beerbohm

Thansk, I was just curious and haven't seen much of "romani" before. Maybe I should read some texts in latin not translations, although it will be hard as I had my latin classes a while ago .....Anyway name is not a big deal.
    G

Reminds me of a scene in Life of Brian.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

I for myself have only humble knowledge of latin. but well, on the other hand, i know more words than in any other language (except english and of course german).
    I like to conquer.

Romani is the plural of Romanus - Roman (person).

Gugus, Romani means "Romans" or "The Romans" (I see Swordmaster beat me to it). I hardly see how "Roma" is more appropriate. SPQR is very appropriate, but as Q mentioned we use it also.

De Nominibus: As for faction naming in general, it's very difficult to come up with a single system. We sometimes use a "people's name" (like Romani, Aedui, Lusotannan, Getai, Sauromatae, Saka Rauka, Sweboz), sometimes the name of the land/kingdom (like Makedonia, Epeiros, Baktria, Pontos), sometimes the name of the dynasty that is in control of the area (like Ptolemaioi), sometimes the name of a political entity that controls the area (like Arche Seleukeia, Koinon Hellenon). One is not always clearly superior to the other. We fought over Pontos' name for quite a while - longer than any other one I remember. Sometimes one "format" ("peoples" vs. "land" vs. "political entity" vs. "dynasty") is much better than others though. In our opinion, Makedones or Antigonidai are worse than just Makedonia, but Ptolemaioi is better than Aigyptos. It's pretty easy when dealing with ethnic groups or tribes, but harder with regional kingdoms where there is some flux in ruling groups. Each name was discussed quite a bit and voted on (or had unanimous consent). We're pretty happy with the results. There are some that could be really close to other ones, and some that were clearly easy to pick. I think we've shown also that we are willing to reconsider when we have something that really is much more accurate, even though it's not a fun thing to do to go back and change it all. We've done it with the Carthaginian faction, twice!

@TA
    Thanks for your time - my curiosity is satisfied. I would not try to suggest that you should change the name of the Romani faction, because I know that it is a painstaking thing to do (I tried to tweak -would not dare to say mode-some files in different mods of RTW and know that it takes a lot of time, effort and knowledge to get everything right) and your resources are much more needed elsewhere.
    Thanks again and looking forward to the next releases of EB.

is it possible to change the faction name in game through scripting? like at the start, it would be SPQR, then along comes augustan reforms and its now imperium romanum or whatever.

I'm curious, Teleklos, what were the other names that had been come up with for Pontos besides Pontos? Ktistes? Euxinites?

Pontos "in Cappadocia" (whatever the specific Greek form was) was one way of doing it - there aren't many mentions in texts of what they called themselves though, and that is the problem. A little strabo here and there mainly is all we have, but he was from there, so he certainly would have known but seems to vary in places. Persian names for Kappadocia were also postulated and almost became the name, though it would have certainly confused players I think. The very common use of Greek by the Pontic kingdom even on public inscriptions within a century of our game's start and the ease of use of the name "Pontos" ultimately decided it, but I think even "Pontus" (gah) was argued for as (I perceived it as an anti-hellenic bias by a former FC wanting *anything* except the Greek form of Pontos) as an alternative to Pontos. I think the whole of the team is quite happy with its current name.

Aye? Thanks for clearing that up, because I had no idea what else there could've been.

I'm personally glad it's Pontos myself, as I might've cried if Pontus was selected :(

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: Why romani?

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocaesar
    is it possible to change the faction name in game through scripting? like at the start, it would be SPQR, then along comes augustan reforms and its now imperium romanum or whatever.
    Even long after the end of EB's timeframe, they wrote "Senatus Consulto" on their coins - "on behalf of the Senate" IIRC. The point is, they always claimed to be a republic, no matter their state was actually a monarchy, and kept all the republican things including even the Senate itself.

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenic
    I'm personally glad it's Pontos myself, as I might've cried if Pontus was selected :(
    "Bartix" was in the running for a while.

Default Re: AW: Re: Why romani?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Even long after the end of EB's timeframe, they wrote "Senatus Consulto" on their coins - "on behalf of the Senate" IIRC. The point is, they always claimed to be a republic, no matter their state was actually a monarchy, and kept all the republican things including even the Senate itself.
    ok that makes sense, as it wasn't until well out of the EB time frame that emperors started behaving like gods on earth. I studied Augustus in first semester, so i know all about the smoke and mirrors he used to disguise his power behind the republican veil.

Yeah, think of his Res Gestae...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.