Thread: timescale 0.50 help vista

Question timescale 0.50 help vista

hi trying too mod the timescale from 2.00 too 0.50 but vista say i have too be a administrator too do this? i only use the computer myself

Default Re: timescale 0.50 help vista

You can either turn off that user account protection thing in the user options, though that reduces the security of the computer or you can give your user permission to edit the file somewhere in the file preferences -> security tab.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Carnifex Maximus Member Rebellious Waffle's Avatar

You might want to proceed carefully -- the way around that, if I understand the question correctly, is to enable Superuser mode. Or, you can temporarily abrogate Superuser powers to yourself by opening the terminal and invoking Sudo. Then again, it's quite likely that Microsoft uses different terminal lexicon from the stuff that grew up on the Unix platform.

It's probably best to ask your local admin about it, though -- Superuser mode is usually disabled with good reason, since you can potentially destroy your machine if you, say, overwrite the C-BIOS.

i am the administrator it whont let me change notepad

Quote Originally Posted by astonkiller
    i am the administrator it whont let me change notepad
    Read Husar's post, he's a pretty smart guy. you need to turn your user protections off, even as an admin on the PC you have to to it. There should be a little icon on the bottom right side of your pc tool bar, scroll over it with your mouse. I think it says user controls, not sure but you disable them, mod what you want.

Then put them back on because if you leave them off, your PC and all its files are wide open.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

I have the same problem with vista but have found a soloutions chage what you want in the file then save it on a diffrent location like your desktop for exemple and after that cut and paste the file from your desktop or any other location and paste it in the right location not that hard if you get hang of it
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

Wink Re: timescale 0.50 help vista

karo u are the best got this too work 1st time,been trying all day thank u very much

I have found a similar problem when changing the preferences.cfg file, trying to save any changes I encounter a window asking me to check the path is correct. It is but I still can't save it. I thought of the same workaround by saving it to documents and from there copy/pasting into the directory.
    Though this solved my problem of saving changes, those changes do not work. I was just enabling the battle editor but no joy, the file is changed but the editor does not appear in options. I should add that I enabled it OK with an XP machine, though the editor needs reapplying on rebooting the PC. Strangely enough, on my Vista machine the editor command remains in the config file

.....Orda
    Last edited by Orda Khan; 07-06-2007 at 22:40.

From what I read, Vista does not allow changes to any program folder by default, it may show some new file there, but the file might be in some other directory and is not really where it shows it. Something like that. To make it short, I disabled the user account protection and all my preoblems of that kind were gone. Ok, it's a bit less secure, but I never missed it in Windows XP either.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    From what I read, Vista does not allow changes to any program folder by default, it may show some new file there, but the file might be in some other directory and is not really where it shows it. Something like that. To make it short, I disabled the user account protection and all my preoblems of that kind were gone. Ok, it's a bit less secure, but I never missed it in Windows XP either.
    I suspect it's storing them in users/[whoever]/virtualstore/program files/, but wouldn't know for sure as the first thing I did in Vista was disabled UAC
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM

I have Vista and I have that same damn problem.

The fix is the following, and copy all the other files in that directory so you can edit those later.

Copy the files and paste them in a different directory.

Then edit the files IN the new pasted directory. You may have turn off Write Protection from the properties selection. For more info on this, read the next step.

During this problem, DELETE ALL THE FILES THAT are the originals that you have copied elsewhere. You may have to right click after highlighting them and go to properties to turn off the Write Protection.

Lastly, copy the editied files to the old folder in the M2TW directory.
    Last edited by Budwise; 07-08-2007 at 04:48.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    I suspect it's storing them in users/[whoever]/virtualstore/program files/, but wouldn't know for sure as the first thing I did in Vista was disabled UAC
    I think that is the folder, but since I tried the beta, I also disabled UAC right from the start, also gets you rid of those annoying popups all the time.

Sapi, Husar,
    Great information guys, thanks!!

......Orda

Maybe changing the attributes of the file in the 'properties' tab is a better option. With UAC switched off, I encountered problems with PC freezing. Activating the UAC again stopped this problem

.......Orda

I think it helps if you turn off the UAC right after installing Vista. When I still tested the beta, I didn't know about turning it off at first and had my system completely set up before turning it off. IIRC that also caused some problems and I turned it back on. Next time I made sure to turn it off right after installation and now there are no problems. My guess is that the handling of data etc is so fifferent that turning it off after a lot of data has been handled with it being on somehow screws up the handling of such data.

So yeah, if it freezes otherwise, you might want to leave it on for now though I found the handling of user access in the properties a bit weird, when I would give my user rights to change a folder and all subfolders I could still not change the files in them and had to give permission for each file seperately etc.

So should you ever reinstall Vista, make sure to turn UAC off first, should work better then.

I noticed that a map I made when UAC was off is still there now UAC is back on. I looked at the security settings in the properties of my preferences.cfg file and as admin I have full control, yet it still won't let me save changes
    When I looked further for explanation, there was talk of parents and children (something like that) so I just gave up then.
    I have M2TW installed on my son's XP machine so I can always use that as a 'working' PC and copy the files to this Vista one.
    Yes, Husar, it is a bit but it's new I suppose and things may become clearer after a while

........Orda