Thread: Same ol' Song and Dance

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Same ol' Song and Dance

Well, having the day off today and wanting to just hang out, rest, and have a little fun for a change, I did a bit of campaigning as the Takeda. After a few battles, the AI wasn't enough, and I found myself hankering for human opponents. So, I fired up MTW-VI for the first time in ten months, and headed into the MP foyer. Yes I know, this is the Shogun forum. Bear with me.

In three hours of playing (actually about an hour and a half of playing and an hour and a half of waiting around), I experienced all the classic VI baloney: foul-mouthed adult children in the foyer; foul-mouthed elite clannies denigrating everyone they could; the player who takes 25 minutes to choose an army of all archers and one berserker, and then takes another 15 minutes to set up, gets annoyed at "being rushed," sets up directly in front of me in a 2v2, stays in front of me no matter how I try to get around him, and routs through me, causing my army to chain rout; and finally, the classic situation of getting rolled over and over again by three very talented (and obnoxious) SA clannies who always teamed together against me and a changing collection of relatively inexperienced players. Gah, gah, gah!

It's really not a big deal that CA has messed up MP. It would be a messed up experience no matter what, because of the way so many people behave when playing these games online these days. Too bad about the VI revival attempt--I thought maybe I'd come back now and then for some games, but after tonight's reminder, no way. It's a sad thing. Because ...

When I was playing Shogun MP, it wasn't nearly as bad. People tended to be polite, and if new players weren't they got what for from the experienced players right away. If they persisted, they were ignored and weren't allowed to play until they chilled out. Clannies and top-notch players split up and balanced the contest when there were a new players in a game. Hosts attacked most of the time. Experienced players helped the new players learn--if the new players were receptive and courteous. Compared to VI, it was another world. It wasn't perfect; we still encountered the problem folks. But it wasn't nearly as bad. What happened?

Anyway, salute, to all the Shogun MP players who made it such an enjoyable experience. I don't know what got into me tonight. I guess I just forgot how it was in VI. Well, a few hours later and I've had my fill, and won't be returning to vanilla VI for another long while. I may drop in tomorrow to see if there are some SamWars games going though. That small but quality crowd is so much more enjoyable. Too bad we can't make our own room and avoid the foyer stench. Oh well.

Cheers to all you Shoggie MP has-beens out there! You are missed.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Default Re: Same ol' Song and Dance

Masamune,

I hope you give Sam Wars a try. We don't have any of the problems you mentioned in your post. The current group playing SW is very small, so we only play once a week on Sundays at 19:00 GMT, and usually play for 2 or 3 hours. We would have more players, but some cannot get MTW/VI to run well on their new computers. Last week I got in 4 battles in 2 hours, and the previous week 5 battles in 2.5 hours. If we have an odd number of players, one watches the others play.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Oops! It was very late when I started this thread last night, and being quite tired, bordering on total exhaustion ( ), I mistakenly posted it in the Sword Dojo instead of the STW MP forum. It probably should be moved to the appropriate forum so as not to annoy those who don't play MP and aren't concerned about MP issues. Thanks, moderators.

Unless something unexpected comes up, I will come to play some SamWars at 2:00 PM EST today. Thanks Puzz.

Looking at my SamWars installation zip files, it seems I have BETA5_20 and an _11B file, which I'm guessing is a mappack. Is this still what Sammie folks are using? I remember using these successfully about 10 months ago in some games with Tosa, Puzz, CBR, Ras, and Tomi (a very enjoyable group of players indeed ).

I'll cruise the Sammie forum to doublecheck, and spend some time toying with army compositions before I come online this afternoon. I'm looking forward to it!

EDIT: I see BETA 8 in your sig, Puzz. I remember that some time ago there were issues with the most current SamWars version in regard to MP, so players were using a previous version, not the current version. Is BETA 8 what MP players are using now? I've just read the issues about hosting, and I don't usually host, so this isn't a problem for me. I just need to be able to join and play.

I'll download BETA 8 now anyway, but will hold off on installing it until I verify with someone that it is the version currently used for MP. I see CBR on MSN; I'll bug him for a confirmation.

EDIT2: CBR has confirmed BETA8, installed over clean MTW-VI 2.01 install, no mappacks needed. Here I go ... I'm getting excited! (silly me).
    Last edited by Togakure; 07-15-2007 at 15:21.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

The technical problems with beta7 multiplayer were fixed in beta8. Also, beta8 uses the same 11b unit stats that are used in beta5, so the gameplay is the same in both versions.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 07-15-2007 at 15:50.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Well it looks like I have been successful in getting BETA 8 installed. It's quite a journey--uninstalling the old install, reinstalling MTW, reinstalling VI, patching to 2.01, reinstalling the mod. But, it seems to have worked. I am able to access the VI foyer--which looks quite different!

I must say, the extensive work that the Samurai Warlords development team has put in is to be commended. It looks great. Beautiful splash screens, Shogun-like menu system--even the VI foyer is revamped to look like the STW foyer. Outstanding. Your contributions to this community continue to be top notch.

I have an unfortunate problem with my video card which prevents me from playing MTW-VI campaigns, and sadly, seems to affect the Samurai Warlords campaign as well. I suspect that I need to back date my drivers to the ones posted in other threads here. As soon as I select a campaign and faction, the game attempts to load the map, and bombs to the desktop every time. I'm hesitant to back date my drivers because it may affect other, more current software that I use regularly. Oh well, Maybe at some point I'll bite the bullet and give it a try. I can always reinstall the current drivers if it messes things up.

Again, cheers, to what looks like a fabulous mod. I'll look for you in the foyer today.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Member Member TakaRatta Yamamoto's Avatar

Wow, i am glad i read this before going through the trouble of reinstalling for a MP game...
    TakaRatta
    The Ratta Rat

Just because no one understands you, it does NOT make you an artist.

You want good beer? Make it yourself

If you have MTW and Viking Invasion, you might consider joining us for Samurai Warlords mod MP on Sundays at 2 PM EST. The mod is great, the company is great, and we have some great battles. I am finding I like it better than STW MI 1.02 MP (!) and that's saying a lot, coming from me. Consider it; we'd love more players. We'll be playing tomorrow.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo