Thread: Click-Drag Formations Don't Work? v1.2 Bug?

Default Click-Drag Formations Don't Work? v1.2 Bug?

After a long sabbatical from games and MTW2, I reinstalled and downloaded the patch.

After some minor looking over, I decide to start a battle..

... and immediately notice that when I right-click and drag out formations for troops, it doesnt work!

I can move troops using the right click and double right click.. but click and drag (so that the shadows appear on the ground, etc) will NOT work

They don't register it at all

For all the bugs they fixed, this BREAKS the game. I can't play battles without doing my rightclick drag formations!

The markers show up alright, but the troops just dont respond and do not move

Is this a known bug, is there a fix; what the HECK HAPPENED TO MY TOTAL WAR SERIES!?
    Current Campaigns:

Default Re: Click-Drag Formations Don't Work? v1.2 Bug?

It should function.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Works for me.... (I am using the v1.2 patch)

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    It should function.
    Could the patch or install have been screwed up?

This just seems like a silly thing to break.
    Current Campaigns:

I have no logical foolproof explanation, really. Why don't you deinstall, reinstall and repatch to see if it works. Also be certain to apply the right patch since I think there are different versions of it (US, EU, etc.).
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

take note that sometimes, when trying to do that in close in areas (like in a city) it will do what you've described nearly all the time unless you have excessive clearance for your troops

"Don't mind me, i happen the have the Insane trait....." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGhost
    take note that sometimes, when trying to do that in close in areas (like in a city) it will do what you've described nearly all the time unless you have excessive clearance for your troops
    Im talking wide open fields here.
    Current Campaigns:

It will also frequently refuse to work on steep hills and for artillery.

what i can say,it works, there are some problems in cities and some with siege units but... it works :)

I have actually had this problem happen to me before after installing the new patch. However it only happens when I minimize the game using Ctrl-Alt Del sometimes and the problem stops when I restart the game.

It's related to minimising the game.

For some reason, hitting alt+tab will lock the game in 'alt mode'.

You'll notice that selecting units does not operate as normal either.

A restart (of the game) fixes it.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

That's why you shouldn't use alt+tab but ctrl+esc to minimize
    Also, on an open battle field, said problem may occur if the terrain has some inaccessible spots over which you are dragging.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by sapi
    It's related to minimising the game.

For some reason, hitting alt+tab will lock the game in 'alt mode'.

You'll notice that selecting units does not operate as normal either.

A restart (of the game) fixes it.
    I boot up the game. I click quick battle. Right drag doesnt work.

At no point before, during after, etc do I minimize it.

Im starting to think for SOME reason, it doesn't like my mouse whichs is the only thing thats really changed.

I checked to see if the right button was overly sensitive by changing making it a left handed mouse and using the left to drag it out with no success.

This is the only game that has such weird problems.

I am so angry and upset because I waited so long for this patch and I reinstall, only to have this nutty problem. I feel like calling CA tech support.
    Current Campaigns:

Slaying Pagans near you! Member TeutonicKnight's Avatar

Don't get upset. Think through the problem. Anger leads to the Dark Side. :P

I recommend a complete reinstall. Make sure you delete the M2TW folder after properly uninstalling the game. I had to do this as well when upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2 due to the number of mods I'd installed and other changes I'd made to the the game files.

I have not experienced this problem, and I too am using the latest patch. I'm not saying you did something wrong, but I do think it might be an intermittent install problem, and if you reinstall it, it might work right the next time.

Also, just to make sure, you are using the official patch and not the leaked pre-release one correct? :)

I do find using the click drag in cities enormously frustrating, because it almost never works.
    There are some strange rules attached to it.

In my current campaign for the first time I am fighting a lot of defensive siege battles, because I don't have sufficient garrisons yet to sally successfully.
    What I try to do is create a square pocket of spearmen around the gate. I found that it is easy to close the square with a line of spearmen on the right side of the gate, but impossible to put a line of spearmen on the left side of the square. I found that the reason for that was that on the right side I start dragging in a spot on the road and end in the dirt next to the wall, while on the left side I start in the dirt and end on the road. The game does not accept deployment commands unless they start on official paving.
    So what I'm forced to do is set up a broken square, start the battle, hit pause immediately, relocate the left spear line (which now suddenly is fine with this command), and continue.
    Hebban olla uogala nestas bigunnan hinase hic enda thu

Quote Originally Posted by TeutonicKnight
    Don't get upset. Think through the problem. Anger leads to the Dark Side. :P

I recommend a complete reinstall. Make sure you delete the M2TW folder after properly uninstalling the game. I had to do this as well when upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2 due to the number of mods I'd installed and other changes I'd made to the the game files.

I have not experienced this problem, and I too am using the latest patch. I'm not saying you did something wrong, but I do think it might be an intermittent install problem, and if you reinstall it, it might work right the next time.

Also, just to make sure, you are using the official patch and not the leaked pre-release one correct? :)
    This is my third time installing it, i've tried it on different drives, etc.

Also, i've discovered it's occuring PRE patch, in v1.0

It must be my mouse, SOMEHOW :\
    Current Campaigns:

Slaying Pagans near you! Member TeutonicKnight's Avatar

Edited because I reread what you originally posted.

You are getting the highlighted green markers that show where your troops should go, but then they don't "go".

Even on a grassy plain. Hmm.

Now that is weird. I'm wondering if you are right about the mouse, though if there were a mouse issue, you'd probably not be able to drag the markers at all.

Now, you know if you drag the markers out, and then left-click, that means "cancel this order" right? You just drag out the markers and release the right mouse button to make them go.

Sorry if that sounds basic, but your problem seems to require out-of-the-box thinking.
    Last edited by TeutonicKnight; 07-16-2007 at 16:57.

Quote Originally Posted by OMGLAZERS
    This is my third time installing it, i've tried it on different drives, etc.

Also, i've discovered it's occuring PRE patch, in v1.0

It must be my mouse, SOMEHOW :\
    With a case like this, it might be worth your while contacting SEGA tech support.

They have access to more historical data on issues than we do, and may be able to help you more as a result
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Right click-drag has never worked for me in M2TW either. That's several installations on two different computers (one of which was almost totally rebuilt, so in essence three computers), one each of XP and Vista, with versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.

But I also have the problem that if I'm besieged my archers will only place stakes on top of the walls, and that's been constant across every single installation too.

Beats me what the deal is. Right click-drag works fine in RTW and BI on all these computers.