Thread: Diplomatic Colonies

Default Diplomatic Colonies

I've never seen anyone mention these in any of their guides or anything else. It's where you exchange something like an alliance or a ceasefire or vassalage to get a territory far away from the homeland and usually use it to make money though it also can be used to expand in that region like when I was Milan and got Iasi, Burachest, and Durazzo and then used those territories to conquer the balkans. I was playing M/M

Default Re: Diplomatic Colonies

That's not entirely unheard of.

Many players pay, swap or trade favors for Timbuktu, Arguin or Dongola (from the Moors or Egypt). You'll see that mentioned a lot in the guides/threads about economic strategy and merchant warfare.

Most catholic campaigns will end up owning some far-away land by crusading to Jerusalem/Antioch, which can be kept and used to grow a mini-empire in the Levant.

There's a "horde" style of play, where you remove yourself completely from your starting lands and go build a home somewhere else (like taking your Eyptians on a boat and settling in Ireland).

Oh, and welcome to the Org, Noncommunist ...

"That's what we need : someone who'll strike the most brutal blow possible, with perfect aim and with no regard for consequences. Total War."

Don┤t know any guides but I personally suggest you taking Stockholm, or more preferably Oslo too.
    Im on quite early Danish campaing with Stockholm having Stone Walls, with paved road, markets and sea trade buildings built it makes over 4000/turn
    It works fine if you ally Russians and Polish, Danes if you don┤t play them ^^ And play some other faction such as French, they might end up fighting with Danes but quite easy to steamroll over and take control over their lands.
    Last edited by Zarky; 07-15-2007 at 21:26.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Noncommunist
    I've never seen anyone mention these in any of their guides or anything else. It's where you exchange something like an alliance or a ceasefire or vassalage to get a territory far away from the homeland and usually use it to make money though it also can be used to expand in that region like when I was Milan and got Iasi, Burachest, and Durazzo and then used those territories to conquer the balkans. I was playing M/M
    Viable tactic but it can be gamey IMHO. I mean you can buy Bordeux off the french for 5k sometimes, or get the Byzantines to give up Corinth in a peace deal where you have a slight advantage.

So yes you can do it, but my personal opinion is that the AI gives up cities/castles far to easy in peace deals. Now if you have crushed them militarily and say, sacked thier capital and occupied it? yeah I can see where they would give up land to get thier capital back. (Its also far to easy to change the capital too, but thats another chat.)

Welcome the org btw.

There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Slaying Pagans near you! Member TeutonicKnight's Avatar

I do this quite often when the enemy comes to me for a ceasefire. If I can't get at least one province out of them, I'll usually keep fighting unless I need the ceasefire.

This has provided me a beachhead in some of the strangest places, like Helsinki as the Egyptians, and Dublin once as the HRE. Once I even had Turks in Leon (that was really hard to keep).

The advantage of a province in a far away land is it's a great place to spit out any kind of agent and troops. I do usually try and make it a castle if I can, just to limit the unrest. :)