View Poll Results: How do you feel about this mod?

Voters
16. This poll is closed
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

0 0%
  • Undecided

2 12.50%
  • I'd like to help (thats a yes by the way :)

1 6.25%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dark Ages: Total War

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Default Re: Dark Ages: Total War

I still need information more information on the factions listed above...

I need to know what their level of military was at the starting dates (for starting buildings and units), so as to give the player an accurate potrayal of it would have been to be that faction. I also need to know what each factions specialization was: Did they prefer cavalry, infantry, ambush, good formation, archery or ranged combat? What was the overall quality of their army? What was the armies general make-up? How good was their generalship? What was the status of most of their army (morale reasons)? What were they famous for?

Also, for intercultural relations and homelands, what would be acceptable homelands for most factions? Where were the cultural boundaries? How "accepting, or how "close" were certian factions? Where they multicultural?

Any and all suggestions for Factions will be considered, as I have plenty of room. The same goes with Faction rosters. Also, I need Flags and faction colors for those that we are using. As for units, the only "REAL" stepping stone will be the unit graphics, as to which ones to use and if we need to modify and/or create new ones. Any suggestions (or historically accurate) faction unit rosters will be accepted. I will not, under any circumstances, accept "fantasy units" . I am aiming for accuracy as best I can.

Also, I still need a rough map I can work with from someone, using the lands OmarPacha has suggested.

On another note, I have come across a problem and possibly the solution to that problem. Many of the factions during the High era switch religions midstride, thus resulting in a rather "unhistorical" gameplay. I was thinking that instead of shifting the era so that this would be less of a problem, I could instead "tweak" their religion. As such, to play the Moravians in High, for instance, your rulers/generals are Catholic, where as the majority of your population is still "Pagan". Also, I also reduced the conversion strength of most buildings and units, so the process takes longer. So what happens is that you have a duel challenge; Expand and conqueror, while at the same time keep those happy within your borders, as religious unrest is going to a big problem in Dark Age Total War. This is laden throughout the game, so you will always have these problems. So, what do you think?
    Last edited by ULC; 08-05-2007 at 20:50.

I will try to get a flag for the Bulgars for early and high. A flag with a lion would be more appropriate for the late period.As already mentioned, the Bulgars, Avars and Khazars had cavalry based armies and relied heavily on horse archers, but did not shy away from charges and melees with their elite heavy horsemen, and based on existing depictions and archaeological finds, one can make an argument that for the time, they had the heaviest armored cavalry, with lamellar protecting both horse and rider. As all nomads, the bulk of the Bulgar army consisted of horsemen with relatively high morale, who were free men following a leader, as they were not tied to a piece of land - warriors was their main occupation and a way of life. In the late period though, a feudal system was in place and a large part of the army was made up of infantry with the low morale of peasant levies, led by an elite of noble heavy cavalrymen. The quality of the generals is going to be hard to determine, for almost every faction, as each faction had its triumphs and defeats. The Eastern Romans of course had an advanced military science, with military academies and exhaustive treatises on war, which did not stop the Bulgars for dealing them plenty of defeats and effectively stopping them from retaking Moesia. For the purpose of the mod, I think the Kanas Ubigy Kubrat should start with fewer command stars than the Basileus, but he should have some defensive virtue, to reflect his ability to defend his lands from Avars and Khazars while alive (and then the ability of his successors to defend their Balkan lands from the powerful Empire), and considering the fact that he was educated in Constantinople, he should probably also get the educated virtue.
    You did not ask for titles, but here are some Bulgarian titles, to enhance the atmosphere of the game.
    The ruler was Khan, but Kanas Ubigi would be more appropriate and way cooler.
    The second in hierarchy after the Kanas Ubigy was the Kavhan, who sometimes led the army on campaigns, which the Kanas Ubigy could not lead himself, but were mostly in charge of the internal affairs of the Khanate, oversseing building projects, tax collection and the administration. This would be the title that appears after the Royal Palace is built, equivalent to Lord Chamberlain i the vanilla game, giving extra command and accumen to iots bearer.
    The leader of the cavalry in times of war was the Ichirgu Boil, and this made him something similar to a marshall. I am not quite sure what structure should generate this title, but a Marshall's Palace is an idea, and the title bearer should get some dread and command bonuses.
    Each city (yes, the Bulgars built cities) had its own Bori Tarkhan, or governor, and since I cannot figure out how to fit in the role of a chancellor, when this structure is built the player may get to give the title of Bori Tarkhan of Fanagoria/Pliska/Preslav (Fanagoria for early, Pliska for high and Preslav for late, if at all possible to rename the title for each period). Just as the chancellor in the original game, the Bori Tarkhan's title should boost the accumen and command of the general, to whom it is bestowed.
    The Bulgars were pagans, but they had Shamans, and the Kolobar, the equivalent of a high priest, held considerable power. If the game envisions for the pagans to be able to build a magnificent structure, the equivalent of a Grand Mosque or Cathedral, called for example a Pagan Monument, then the title associated with such structure should be a Kolobar, and the general awarded this title should get piety and some accumen (and maybe a skull or two for dread).
    As for the governors of provinces, instead of Lords, Dons or Emirs of ......, they should be Boils of ......., for example Boil of Pannonia.
    This takes us to the question of homelands, and it is a complicated one, given the Bulgar diaspora in the 7th century AD. They started in the lands north of the Caucasus, which means Khazar and whatever other province it is divided into in the map, then controlled Levidia, Crimea and Moldova during the times of Great Bulgaria (roughly the start of the mod), and later on moved on to establish Bulgaria in Wallachia and Moesia, conquering also Macedonia, Carpathia, Pannonia, Serbia and parts of Thrace, and controlling lands as far as Budapest, Peloponessus and Slovenia. Large groups of Bulgars migrated as far as central Italy, and another group established Volga Bulgaria. Fort he purpose of the mod we have to limit the homelands somehow though, and this is what I propose - all of Khazar, Preyaslavl's equivalent, Kiev's equivalent, especially the Southern part along the Black Sea, the Crimea, Moldova, Wallachia, Moesia, Macedonia, Thrace, Carpathia, Pannonia, and Serbia, if by Hellas the north of Greece is meant. Then if I understand your plans for a secondary set of homelands, where lesser units are available to a faction, for the Bulgarians those should be Croatia, Slovenia, Hellas, Georgia, Volhynia, Volga Bulgaria, Moravia, and whatever province is left of Hungary from the original game.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kavhan Isbul
    I think it sounds great, but it also sounds like a lot of work. Personally, I have always been a strong supporter of the homelands concept, because in my opinion it improves the game significantly. And I have also always been in favor of region-specific units. I love your idea, and I really want to see it implemented, if you do not go crazy creating all these units.
    I tried hard to find something about factions in Eastern Europe, but in the early period there is nothing other than the Steppe Peoples. However, interestingly enough, there is something called Samo's Empire in the first half of the 7th century, which in territory was similar to the later Great Moravia. Samo was a Frank, who happened to rise to power over the Slavs in Central Europe after a successfull rebellion against the Avars. His Empire was at best a confederation of tribes with him on top, and it was gone quickly after his death, the Avars recovering all of their former lands and subjugating the Slavs again. I am not sure if including this short-lived "Empire" would help the overall balance, other than it would certainly create further problems for the Avars and maybe the Franks. Playtests should be made to see how its inclusion will affect the game, but if it causes the Eastern Romans to crush the Avars and steamroll from the Danube to the Baltic, it might be wiser to leave the Avars bigger and stronger.
    For what I remember form the secondary school he was a Frankish merchant who somehow led or got involved in a fight against Avars.

Anyway for that period of time our part of Europe was pretty chaotic and almost impossible to find something for sure, though recently for example the birth of Poland was again revised to even earlier times - late 8th or early 9th century, but that is too little for your mod.

There was however - possibly - a Vistulan tribe state around Kraków which was built for sure no later than in the early 9th century which baceme a part of Great Moravia or at least a vassal of this 'empire' - it included Lesser Poland.

A suggestion. Mazovia was nothing more than a depopulated banch of forests at that time and te real Poland would consist from Lesser and Greater Poland and Silesia which is very important to remember as a fightng ground for the next 3 centuries between Poles, HRE and Bohemia.

Okay, I have been doing some revising, and here is what I have so far...

Timeline
    Early Start Date: 632 (Death of Mohammed)
    High Start Date: 743 (Death of Charles Martel)
    Late Start Date: 912 (Conversion of the Khazars)
    End Date: 1078

Map
    Expanded map, showing more of the middle east all the way to the Caspian Sea.
    Total reworking of provincinal borders, with many renamed.

Factions
    Early
    Irish
    Britons
    Picts
    Scots
    Saxons
    Norse
    Neustrasians
    Austrasians
    Burgundians
    Bavarians
    Alemane
    Lombards
    Visigoths
    Sueves
    Basques
    Beneventians
    Carinthians
    Avars
    Bulgars
    Khazars
    East Romans
    Sassanids
    Arabs

High
    Irish
    Picts
    Scots
    Welsh
    Wessex
    Norse
    Saxons
    Franks
    Asturias
    Aquitiane
    Lombards
    Beneventians
    Moravians
    Polanes
    Avars
    Bulgars
    Magyars
    Khazars
    Volga-Bulgars
    East Romans
    Cordovians
    Tahertians
    Abbasids
    Abkhazians

Late
    Irish
    Scots
    Wessex
    Norwegians
    Gotalanders
    Danish
    Franks
    Holy Roman Empire
    Astrurias (Leon)
    Burgundy
    Italians
    Papacy
    Bohemians
    Polish
    Lithuanians
    Magyars
    Bulgarians
    Cumans
    Kievians
    Rostovians
    Volga-Bulgars
    Khazars
    East Romans
    Abkhazians
    Seljuks
    Armenians
    Abbasids
    Tulinids
    Tahertians
    Aghlabids
    Idrissids
    Cordovians

Faction Unit Rosters
    Factions have "Primary Cultural Rosters" and "Secondary Faction Specific Units". Recruitment ability for the former is limited by "Primary Homelands". Each faction has "Secondary Homelands" which they can recruit the local population, and the strength of siad armies raised are based on the "closeness" of such cultures. I have the Cultural Rosters sorted out, but I still need more information on certian factions for faction specific units (minus the Bulgars, Khazars, Avars, East Romans, Bavarians, Alemane, Franks, Lombards and Irish) As a reminder, a units name will be in its native tongue, so if you have unit suggestions, please translate them if you can.

Cultural Roster for Celtic Factions
    Light Spear
    Light Spear: Although this appears to be a duplicate unit, it carries a Javelin and has good strength to it, very similiar to Muwahid.
    Light Archer
    Light Cavalry
    Light Sword
    Heavy Sword
    Heavy Spear
    Royal Cavalry (Javelin): This is debatable, I'm actually thinking about making them infantry

Cultural Roster for Germanic Factions
    Light Spear
    Light Archer
    Light Axe/Polearm
    Light Cavalry
    Heavy Axe/Polearm
    Heavy Sword
    Heavy Spear
    Royal Cavalry

Cultural Roster for Slavic Factions
    Light Spear
    Light Spear
    Light Archer
    Light Axe/Polearm
    Heavy Axe/Polarm
    Heavy Sword/Archer
    Heavy Spear
    Royal Infantry

Cultural Roster for Steppe Factions
    Light Spear
    Light Archer
    Light Axe/Polearm
    Light Cavalry
    Light Cavalry Archer
    Heavy Cavalry
    Heavy Cavalry Archer
    Royal Cavalry

Cultural Roster for Roman Factions
    Light Spear
    Light Archer
    Light Cavalry
    Light Cavalry Archer
    Heavy Axe/Polearm
    Heavy Sword
    Heavy Cavalry Archer
    Royal Cavalry

Cultural Roster for Islamic Factions
    Light Spear
    Light Sword
    Light Archer
    Light Cavalry
    Light Cavalry Archer
    Heavy Archer
    Heavy Cavalry Archer
    Royal Cavalry

Tech Trees
    I will be using an extended Viking Buildings production for most factions, minus the Islamic and Roman Factions. It's not finished, but it should be soon.

As of right now, Only the Bavarians, Khazars, Bulgars, and Avars are complete, with the Lombards, Irish, Visigoths, and Franks following close behind. The East Romans
    (and Islamic Factions in general) are partially complete, they just need to have their units named (and specialized for the Islamic factions).

I could use help in the following...

Heroes and Kings for the Heroes.txt
    Suggestions on Colors and Faction Flags

Once this is all complete, I will then move on to unit graphics. I will also need someone skilled in maps, as I am thinking of specific maps for certian regions, such that when you seige Constantinople, you actualy seige the city of Constantinople, not just a castle.

Thanks Kavhan Isbul for your Help in the Steppe Factions, Raidiach on the Irish, OmarPacha for the map, and everyone else for support.

Could I have this stickied so I don't lose it? Thanks in advance.

In the medieval town Wisby, Gotland, Sweden

Hi!
    Here is some early swedish kings that might work for your "Gotalanders" faction in the late era. But I strongly recommend you to change the faction to "Svear" because it was they who were the most famous ethnic group in present Sweden at that time. I also think that the name of the provinces, "East Gotar", "West Gotar" and "Sviar" should be changed to "East Götaland", "West Götaland" and "Sviariki"/"Sviaveldi"/"Svearike".

"Kings of Svear"
    Björn Eriksson ~900
    Ring ~930
    Emund Eriksson ~960
    Olof ~970-975
    Erik Segersäll ~970-993 (He and his brother Olof ruled together until Olof died)
    Olof Skötkonung ~993-1022
    Anund Jakob ~1022-1051
    Emund Gamle ~1051-1060
    Stenkil ~1060-1066
    Halsten ~1066-1080

I only know 1 svean hero, Ingvar Vittfarne, that went on an expedition to Särkland (Turkey) in 1040-1041 that failed.

Well, not much but I hope it can be useful, because this seems to be a really nice mod.
    //Torin
    In hoc signo vinces:

This mod DOES sound quite cool and I'd love to play it

but might I suggest adding the frisians?
    (for some information, I'll link you a site : http://www.i-friesland.com/history.html )

even if you don't decide to add it, I'd still love to try this mod

YourLordandConqueror, what exactly do you need in terms of Heores and Kings - just a list of rulers and a few heroes for each faction, or a complete list of first and last names? I can help with the Bulgarians, just let me know what is needed here.

Basically, I listing of the most prominent and influencial Kings and Heroes. Also, those that brought serious turning points to their faction, good or bad. I want both good and bad kings and heroes, because I want both the feel and the difficulties such factions went through. I don't just want to help the player/computer, I want to give them the experience.

Of course, that could be to much to ask for... .

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Good initiative!! I actually started one like this a while back, but it got corrupted. It would be very cool indeed. Good Luck!
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

In the medieval town Wisby, Gotland, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by YourLordandConqueror
    Basically, I listing of the most prominent and influencial Kings and Heroes. Also, those that brought serious turning points to their faction, good or bad. I want both good and bad kings and heroes, because I want both the feel and the difficulties such factions went through. I don't just want to help the player/computer, I want to give them the experience.

Of course, that could be to much to ask for... .
    Here is some information about the kings from my last post:
    Björn Eriksson - Ruled for a long time, about 50 winters according to the icelandic sagas.
    Ring - Was king over the Sveans when the archbishop of Bremen Unni came to Birka.
    Emund Eriksson - Allied with king Harald of Denmark and had a friendly attitude aginst christians.
    Olof - Died of poisoning. His son tried to claim the throne but was defeated by his uncle Erik Segersäll.
    Erik Segersäll - After his victory agianst his nephew he conquered Denmark that had supported his nephew. It was said he was christened in Denmark but he fall back to paganism sonn after.
    Olof Skötkonung - The first king that for sure ruled over both Svealand and Götaland. He was also the first king in Sweden that was christened and kept on to it until his death. The christening took presumably room in England in 994 where he was on viking with the danish king Sven Tveskägg. In 1000 the two kings allied again and defeated the king of Norway, Olav Tryggvason, in the famous battle at Svolder. Olof Skötkonung set up the first swedish diocese in Skara 1014. From 1015 and on he was at war with the new king of Norway, Olav Haraldsson, which gave the baltic lands to get rid of their swedish lords. At the end there was so much discontent among the people that Olof Skötkonung had to let his son Anund Jakob become king together with him the last two years of his life.
    Anund Jakob - Was given the nickname "Kolbränna", which means "coal burn", and was reffering to his diplomatic methods of burn his rivals homes. He made many alliances with his neighbours and changed often side.
    Emund Gamle - Was brother to Anund Jakob and didn't came to rule until he was quite old. He didn't care much about christianity and therefore he was called Emund Slemme (slimy) by the german bishops. He was the last of his dynasty and was succeeded by his son-in-law Stenkil.
    Stenkil - The first in the new dynasty that would be named after him and rule until the 1120's. He was very interested in food and drink but also in archery. After his death there was extensive wars for the throne.
    Halsten - Became king a short period in the time of the throne wars but was quickly driven away. (He ruled only the year 1066 and not until 1080, my mistake)
    //Torin
    In hoc signo vinces:

Thanks for the support and information guys. FrisianDude, I am not a hundred percent sure I will add them. If you could find me some information for units, and Flags and Colors for them then its a definite possibility. The only thing I am leary of is yet another "European" faction.

Torin XII, thank you immensely for the famous Kings. Thats one worry of my chest.

Oh, thats neat Rythmic, especially considering I received my inspiration from BDTW .

OK, let me see if I can help with a list of heroes for the Bulgars/Bulgarians. Let's start with my nickname:
    Kavhan Isbul: he was a Kavhan during the time of a few consecutive Kanas Ubigis, from Omurtag to Pressian and perhaps even Boris. The Kavhan was in charge of the inner affairs of the Bulgar state, such as large scale construction (roads, bridges, fortifications), but also led the army in cases when the Kanas Ubigi could not lead it himself, such as in campaigns of secondary importance. Considering the military success of Bulgaria during this time and the unprecedented construction, he should probably have both strs and quills and the "Builder" virtue. Year - around 815
    Kliment Ohridski: the first Bulgarian archbishop, a student of Cyril and Methodius (who should probably be Eastern Roman heroes) , perhaps the person who created the Slavic alphabet in its current state (the original was quite different). Should appear in Macedonia around 1850, perhaps as a 3 star Orthodox Priest. Which is somewhat impossible, because at this point in the mod the Bulgars will be still pagan. In this case he will have to be a high piety general. Tough to incorporate him into the game, but he deserves it. Same applies for Naum Preslavski, who should appear in Bulgaria at about the same date.
    Mostic: he was the Ichirgu Boil of Simeon I and Peter I, and perhaps one of the most talented military leaders of his time. While credit those days went to the rulers, Mostic must have been instrumental in the great defeats against the Eastern Romans during Simeon's time, such as the battle at Aheloi where 50,000-strong Eastern Roman army was annihilated (as opposed to simply defeated). While he was alive, Bulgaria was a strong Empire, and soon after his death military disaster followed. He should be the best commander the Bulagrians get, with some virtue such as skilled attacker, and he should get some dread. Year: around 925.
    Krakra of Pernik: in 1004 Basilius II won a battle against the Bulgarians at the Vardar, near Skopje. After this victory he headed back, capturing fortress after fortress on his way, until he reached Pernik, south of Sredets (Sofia). Krakra, a high ranking bolyarin, with a fiefdom copmrising 36 fortified cities, and known for his military skills, was there with a tiny force. Basilius tried to bribe him, but Krakra refised to surrender, even though his chances of success were slim. Then somehow he managed to repulse one Roman attack after another, finally causing Basilius to withdraw after suffering heavy losses. Krakra surrendered only after the last Bulgarian Tsar was dead, and Basilius, impressed with his loyalty and bravery, bestowed him with the title of patrician. Around 1000 AD, he should be a skilled siege defender with a few stars.
    I think this is a decent list, but if you want to expand it, here are some more:
    Tsok Dulo: Ichirgu Boil during Krum's time, member of the royal family. Another strong military leader.
    Todor: Simeon's Kavhan, enough said.
    Dometian: Kavhan during the rule of Tsar Samuil.
    Pressian and Alexis Hunol: emissaries around 1870.

As for the rulers, this is hard to implement in the game, as it generates names randomly. However, here are the most notable ones:
    Kanas Ubigi Kubrat (632-668): the starting Bulgar ruler (the start of his rule neatly coincides with the start of the game) created what became known as Great Bulgaria in the steppes north of the Black Sea. He was educated in Constantinople, and a loyal Eastern Roman ally. At the end of his rule, he had pushed the Avars out of Moldova and perhaps even Vallachia, because there are no records of Avar attacks on Eastern Roman territories during his reign. It is suspected that Kubrat might have been Christian.

Kanas Ubigi Asparuh (668-695): the eldest son of Kubrat was Baian, but Asparuh was the one, who led part of the Bulgars to the Danube, where they established a country, which has survived to the present. He defeated a large Eastern Roman army at the Danube and conquered Moesia, which of course later became known as Bulgaria.

Kanas Ubigi Tervel (695-715): the son of Asparuh. Early in his rule, he helped Justinian II to regain the Eastern Roman throne, in return for lands, gifts and the title of Kesar (Caesar). Three years later Justinian II felt strong enough to violate the treaty, but Tervel defeated the Roman army at Ankhialo. Finally, in 717-718 Tervel aided the Eastern Romans when the Arabs sieged Constantinople, as his army was instrumental in defeating the Arabs. Latest research suggests this migth have been Tervel's son Kormesiy, but it is possible that it was Tervel, who saved Europe back then, and for the purpose of the mod he should take credit in some way.

Kanas Ubigi Krum (796 or 803 - 814): perhaps the greatest ruler Bulgaria had. Early in his reign he took advantage of Charlemagne's successfull campaigns against the Avars, to hit and destroy the latter once and for all, expanding the borders of Bulgaria to include the Carpathian mountains, Transylvania and EEastern Pannonia. A few years later Nikephoros I defeated him and managed to burn down Pliska, thinking he had been able to destroy the Bulgarian state. However, even though most of his army was gone, Krum managed to assemble an army, which included peasants, women and mercenaries, and ambushed Nikephoros at the Varbica pass and killed him, along with most of his troops. After this Krum proceded to conquer many fortresses, from Serdika (Sofia) to towns on the Black sea and repeatedly raided Thrace. Leo V approached him to negotiate a peace treaty, but tried to ambush him with archers and other soldiers. Krum managed to fight his way out, and started preparing a grand scale expedition aimed at Constantinople, including a great number of siege machines and even Greek fire (prevously captured from the Romans). He died before the campaign was launched though. Kanas Ubigi Krum is also remembered for issuing the first set of laws. These laws included harsh punishments for drinking, stealing and other undesired behaviour. Krum's reputation of ruthlessness was enhanced by the devastation he caused in Thrace and he is also rumored to have made himself a drinking cup from the skull of the unfortunate Nikephoros.

Kanas Ubigi Omurtag (815-831) - Omurtag did not continue Krum's aggressive policy, and negotiated peace treaties with most of his neighbors. He only led campaigns against the Khazars and Magyars, as there are columns which state that he expanded the Eastern border to the Dnepr river. He offered a peace treaty to the Franks, which was not accepted, so he was forced to send a fleet up the Danube, which suceeded to drive the Franks out of Eastern Pannonia and to supress the Slav rebellion the Franks supported there. Omurtag is remembered as a magnificent builder, as he not only rebuilt Pliska, but also embarked on an ambitious building program, improving the infrastructure and fortifications within the Empire.

Kanas Ubigi/Knyaz Boris/Michail (852-889) - Boris converted the Bulgarians to Christianity, and he welcomed and supported the surviving students of Cyril and Methodius, fleeing from Great Moravia, essentially helping the creation of the Cyrillic alphabet. Not a great military leader, but a decent diplomat, as all his defeats did not cost him any territorial losses.

Tsar Simeon I the Great (893-927) - during his time the Bulgarian Empire had its greatest expansion. Educated in Constantinople, Simeon's dream was to rule over the Eastern Roman Empire, and while he never acheaved his goal to conquer Constantinople, he was recognized as an equal to the Basileus by the Constantinople Patriarch. Simeon moved the Capital from Pliska to Preslav, and made every attempt to build Preslav in a way to rival Constantinople. This was of course impossible, but Preslav certainly was one of the greatest cities in Europe at this time. Apart from defeating the Eastern Romans multiple times, Simeon defeated the Magyars in an alliance with the Pechenegs (but lost Pannonia to them), reenforced Bulgarian rule over the Western part of the Balkans and was not successfull only against the Croatian Kingdom. The first Tsar ever.

Tsar Peter I (927-969) - Peter brought peace to the country after his father's wars, and was remembered as the "Good Tsar Peter", but he was a poor leader and at the end, suffered heavy defeats from the Kiev Rus, the Magyars and the Eastern Romans.

Tsar Samuil (997-1014): samuil was not born into the royal family, but ascended to the throne after the last successor to the throne, Roman, died. He managed to strengthen the remains of Bulgaria. Taking advantage of a civil war within the Roman Empire, his armies conquered fortresses as far south as the Epirus. He managed to impose his will over the Serb kingdom of Duklja, and allied with the Hungarians. Finally, however, the Bulgarian army was defeated in the battle of Kliuch in 1014, after wich Basilius II had 15,000 captured Bulagrian soldiers blinded, before they were sent back. Legend has it that the sight of these blinded men caused Samuil to die of a heart attack.

So how is the mod coming along now? :)

To put it lightly....okay. I have lots of info, but putting it together is becoming problematic. I have an excellent map, but the darn scanner is broken, and I'm also waiting on Omarpacha for the LukMap. Colors and Flags are hard to do, considering the period, so I am currently attempting to either utilize the ones from BI (which I am NOT happy with BTW), or create new ones based on upon certian dukes/emirs/sultans/emperors/kings heraldry. Another problem is units, and a rather unexpected one at that. The problem lies mainly with the Germanic and Celtic factions; Half used vulgar latin, a quarter used their own brand, and yet another used a synthesis. What results is nearly unique faction rosters for a handful of factions, all because of a language barrier, that are in essence THE SAME THING. My solution is to temporarily use generic naming for most factions units (you can thank Kavhan Isbul for saving the Steppe factions from such a fate ) and have only the unique units named in the faction tongue to save space and aspirin.

But not all is bad! For starters we have -

5 new slots for ranged weapons! If you have suggestions for what to use these for, do tell...

Cavalry are now well represented (just not well named....yet). Certain units, such as Kataphraktoi and Tarkhans now cause fear to infantry. Also, all non-spear infantry suffer a debilitating penalty against cavalry. I was able to get a Kataphraktoi unit (40 men) to vaporize a unit of Arimmani (60 man archer unit, and a good one two!) in 10 seconds, with a rout on contact.

Expect spearmen to put up a substantial fight now. I have increased their stats considerably, and have also increased their cavalry attack/defense bonus by a significant amount. I will be posting stats VERY soon, so you can dissect at your will.

Still holding out for this to be stickied...
    Last edited by ULC; 09-11-2007 at 23:11.

Hi,
    I'm afraid that the matter of the map here is getting a little confused
    as I was going for a basic remake of the classical MTW Europe map with new region borders and their own, historical, names.
    Then - I've read, some posts ago, of Caspian sea and the area surrounding
    Map
    Expanded map, showing more of the middle east all the way to the Caspian Sea.
    Total reworking of provincinal borders, with many renamed.
    and, on this new purpose, I begun to build the part of the map to be added and a square to include the british isles out of scale.
    Therefore I know well I'm in charge to make the final .BMP and the compressed .TGAs,
    but I never said to be able to do all the work to get the map. Actually we still need
    someone to apply the LMM4 to schemes.

Even this way, it's a huge job so I can't post some image of new map before end of october.

Greetings

Yes, I do believe I metioned that. I have a map image already to go, the problem is getting on the computer. As stated above, the scanner is broke, and I am in the process of getting a new one. I never meant to saddle that much work on you Omarpacha, I was from the start intending to do the whole thing, but I just needed a little guidance. The map that I asked for was supposed to be only a non-working rough draft, so I could then create a final copy using LMM4. Soryy for the extreme confusion.

I am glad to see the mod nearing completion. Here is a proposed flag for the Bulgars, when Pagan in Early and High - this is the sacred symbol of Tangra, and I am attaching two files - one with the full symbol, and one with a simplified version. Alternatively, a flag can only use the inner symbol, which looks like IYI.
    For the Late Bulgarians, a flag incorporating an Orthodox icon, say for example obe of St. George, would be most accurate.

Factions that would need a representative image to be drawn on shield or flag are so many indeed; I am worried for the 'sclavonian' factions above all, such as Avars or Polanes that just can't have same shield and flag of Polish but also all the 'near-east' factions - I read of Moravians and Carinthians, for instance, and really don't know where to search to gain any information on these people.
    We could start collecting ideas by now, as when unavailable a historical-based 'coat of arms' a fantasy image must be agreed.

Cheers

OmarPacha, how difficult would it be to replace a faction shield? I think once the mod is released, if there is a wrong (ahistorical) shield or unit name, there will be someone, who will let us know and point out a more historically correct coat of arms. If it is a minor correction, then I would not worry about it. If it takes a lot of time and effort, we will need to sort this out now.

Yes most of faction shields and flags can be obtained by existing stock or from other mods; but I am worried for that factions we know nothing about and flags and shields are to be made brand new.
    A historical flag or their most important city banner or anything should identify that peculiar tribe or people will help us to avoid the use of unsuitable shields just because we've got them.

Thanks to Axel, I found this

It lacks the more eastern area, but the image itslef isn't important. What is is that its decorated with what appears to be a treasure trove of faction flags! I need a little help in IDing them, but looks like western europe may be set!

i love this mod allreddy

I know I've been really short changing you guys, but here a sneak peak of what I'm working on.

ByzantineSpear

It's not finished, but what do you think? I'll have more soon, along with the bulgars in action, plus (yes finally!) units stats. Be aware that the units will have be listed by their index name, not thier actual name, which I am still working on. Cheers.

I know I've been really short changing you guys, but here a sneak peak of what I'm working on.

It's not finished, but what do you think? I'll have more soon, along with the bulgars in action, plus (yes finally!) units stats. Be aware that the units will have be listed by their index name, not thier actual name, which I am still working on. Cheers.
    Looks good. Thanks for all the work you are putting into this. Personally, when I see mods with great attention given to the smallest details, such as unit info pictures, it tends to greatly enhance my overall enjoyment of the mod. Great job, can't wait to see more

P.S. Isn't this ever going to get stickied?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast