Thread: Saka recruitment issue

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Default Saka recruitment issue

I've been playing Saka for a while now and have a true problem with recruitment, beiing unable to recruit:

-Saka lancers in my "homelands". The only logic reason could be too small settlements (I have no nomadic settlement over 6000 souls).

-Any local unit, including "hellenic" Saka units.

I tried everything: allied government, with or without destroying previous owner's MICs, pastoral and nomad camps, all... The only "new" unit I was able to recruit was Sampul spearmen (in Bactra) and Dahae in Nisa. I had a look at the unit cards and should have a better unit roster.

It's 241 BC and I control most of the settlements required for Saka victory conditions now... And feel really frustrated. Does it mean my campaign is bugged? I NEVER forgot to activate the scripts.

If someone can give some help, that would be great!

Cheers, Tristuskhan.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Default Re: Saka recruitment issue

Strange. You should be able to get the hellenic ones after holding baktra, eschate, taksashila and marakanda i think for 4 consecutive winters.

This smells of your game being screwed up...

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

I had trouble with Saka recruitment also in my game, but it's been so long that I can't recall the details...

Mmmm, well, I'm going to finish the campaign anyway, at least the territorial requirements (I really don't know how I could get 500000 mnai... ). First I should take Taksashila, the other province where I should be able to recruit those hellenised units.

@ Thaatu: were you able to build silk road buildings in your campaign? I can't, and IMO it's not logical.

And then... Go Pahlava!
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 07-16-2007 at 21:07.

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Clearly a nomadic player. XD I say, go civilised factions! :d

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Noooooooo! Effeminate greeks, dumb barbarians or dismonted romans ?

NEVER!

Prodder of Stuff Member Musopticon?'s Avatar

Meh, Lusotannan aren't dumb, they are "educatively-challenged" and "artistically-inclined".

Quote Originally Posted by tristuskhan
    @ Thaatu: were you able to build silk road buildings in your campaign?
    I'm not a 100% sure, but I have a vague flashback that I couldn't.

Frightens enemy infantry. Member Meothar's Avatar

I wasn't able to recruit Hellenic units etc. in my Saka campaign either, so I abandoned it (controlling everything east of the black sea).

NEVER!
    Axillary Troops for the Romans .

Besides, the wealth I have between trading and owning provinces with multiple mines is enormous (will be much greater than 500000 soon).

NEVER!
    If you find those guys stupid try Hayastan it's alot of horse archer fighting but also some medium infantry that you can youse to support your troops.

And about the Silk Road isn't it already build if you start a game is it not like the Persian royal road
    Last edited by Karo; 07-17-2007 at 21:31.
    "I should like to see any power of the world destroy this race, this small tribe of unimportant people, whose history is ended, whose wars have been fought and lost, whose structures have crumbled, whose literature is unread, whose prayers are no longer answered.... For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia!

William Saroyan, 1935.

High kings of the Mountains: A Hayasdan AAR

@Karo: Yes, maybe I'll have a try with Hayasdan. Harsh situation in the beginning but worth the challenge it seems (and horse archers, nice ). About the Silk road, I know it's not already build, but I can't, as long as I know, build anything of that kind as Saka Rauka.

@Ice: as a Saka, I was not able to build advanced mines, and trade is limited since I can't go very far in the market line ...

Thank you all for your help... Looks like there is a problem with the Saka.... Has someone else experienced them and been able get good troops and correct income?
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 07-17-2007 at 23:13.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Nomads and barbarians can't build advanced mines.
    The caravans (I think that's what you mean by Silk Road) should be available but they are tied directly to settlement size so to get huge trade caravans you must occupy a huge city as your cities can not develop to that size.
    I don't know if the Saka reforms function correctly from experience, the only steppe faction I played were the Sauromatae but there have been few complaints and I'm sure it was tested so re-check the FAQ and what you did in your game.
    Last edited by Redmeth; 07-17-2007 at 23:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    The caravans (I think that's what you mean by Silk Road) should be available but they are tied directly to settlement size so to get huge trade caravans you must occupy a huge city as your cities can not develop to that size.
    That is exactly what I mean.... So I should wait for the Seleucids to upgrade their cities, pummeling me with endless stacks, before having a chance to seize valuable settlements? Well, thats an odd way to behive for a nomadic invader as I am, isn't it !
    And why not, after all? "Waiting for my ennemies to expand, a Saka AAR"!

I already played Sauromatae, and had no reason to complain (except about my own passive stance the first hundred turns...). I checked the FAQ carefully and I'm still unable to see where I blundered in my Saka campaign. The reforms are available, but I tried every government possible in Bactra (changing the government) without any satisfiying result.

I'm sorry to bother you, I do not really complain, a Saka campaign without infantery is challenging. Thanks for the mod, it's really awesome and thrilling !
    Last edited by Tristuskhan; 07-17-2007 at 23:33.

From what I remember you need an allied government type to recruit hellenistic (at least the top tier) troops, but I had trouble setting up the allied government.

The problem that some allied recruitment buildings require NOT saka reform present. If you remove the NOT in the building req you should be able to recruit hellens.
    Note: Saka uses the pontus faction slot

Did you build the "saka reform" building? It should be there after you hold the aforementioned territories for 4 consecutive winters.

You like EB? Buy CA games.