Thread: Rtw

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rtw

What do you like at RTW?????

Default Re: Rtw

Quote Originally Posted by Galapagos
    What do you like at RTW?????
    Well i meant:What do you think RTW has and other strategy games don't have?

Well its main feature is probably the massive battles featuring (possibly) thousands of troops with good quality graphics, animations etc and the great turn-based-campaign/real-time-battle combination. It has a ton of other advanatges (otherwise this entire community wouldn't be here) but imho these are the main strengths of it. Others may think of sth else.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

RTW is IMO an awkward hybrid game that retains the core concept of TW as it was first seen in STW and adds builds on many gameplay elements/features from role playing games, conventional RTSs' and more strategy oriented titles such as the Civilisation series some of which were introduced in MTW, increasing their importance and relevance in the game.

It had the advantage also of presenting the TW battles in a 3D environment for the first time, essentially opening like this the TW games to a much wider audience than the smaller, somewhat more hardcore wargaming following that they held up to that point.

All interfaces were laboriously reworked from previous TW titles to be as accessible as possible - sometimes this goes so far (as in the direction arrows that denounce the front of a unit while deploying by dragging and the green arrows underneath units in order to "see them" in melee blobs) that the whole game feels like a series of neon lit traffic management exercise.

The main advantage of the game is IMO its wow factor (the scale, the graphics, the explosions, the towns and villages, the siege machines, the closeness the action can be observed, the hollywood/Gladiator feel), that especially at the time (i guess in terms of PC game releases this is a few light years away now) was very strong. RTW was hailed in the heat of the moment - without any serious supporting clue IMO as "the king of PC strategy games" by reviewers that seemed very happy that this series they liked (or they've heard it was good) even when the graphics were "outdated" and "obsolete" etc etc finally managed to "break" from the shadows of hardcore wargaming - the fog of war and the tiled map and 3D graphics had done the trick. However after the wow factor died out - (and it died fast) the vanilla game revealed itself as unchallenging and tedious even to those same raving reviewers - even the graphical virtues of the games were not spared as quickly as a year from the original release ("Rome's engine has aged less gracefully than we origially thought it would - Although we praised it in the October review the AI turned out to be a major problem of the game").

The community half enraged - half taken by the game that included plenty of bugs and a generally accepted drop in gameplay standard, jumped with the influx of "new blood" on the game with mixed fellings that ranged from dedication and love to reaction and rejection and made more modifications out of it than anyone would have hoped - investing probably thousands of work hours in altering the game and coming up with interesting graphics, skins, concepts, periods, infotexts, gameplay etc etc. This made the day of many and essentially turned the game into a "platform", that is undeniably a plus.

Personally i've been through the full course of stages i think - the initial wow! - the subsequent uh-oh... - the predictable gah! - the inevitable awwwlright... - the hopeful... right! - the predictable gah! - and finally the blissful and liberating bye-bye.

Many Thanks

Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan
    Well its main feature is probably the massive battles featuring (possibly) thousands of troops with good quality graphics, animations etc and the great turn-based-campaign/real-time-battle combination. It has a ton of other advanatges (otherwise this entire community wouldn't be here) but imho these are the main strengths of it. Others may think of sth else.
    what you speak is what i think.......

I rather play RTW than Age of Empire and Romance of Three Kingdom is becoz i gotta click many time just to regroup my infantry and chasing archers around everywhere in Age of Empire(that makes me very tired,for my hand,....that clicking the mouse..........).And in Romance of Three Kingdom i just see a lot of numbers represent 1K to 10K soldiers above up to 30 beautiful battlechest(units).I rather see 1K to 10K real soldier.

Since the presentation of excellent 3D environment of M2TW,i think it is oredi good enough for it's graphic,just add more features for fun,like historical CG movies,most of the people love the history coz of their curiousity,but they will favor the movies or more pictures more than just plain texts(so am i!it can save up my time for just imagination but can be false thing)Don't describe the history for me,just give me some pics,or movies the best!Only 1 more thing to say,plz just reduce those bugs before put it on the shelve for selling!

Since someone open this thread about RTW,then may i request everyone suggestion for:= 1.which patch got smarter enemy AI(not missile units,plz!) and,=2. favor in fighting human player in multiple full stack army?(since i just found out my RTW is version 1.0).I love melee battles and i love larger size battle.

I just upgrage my Ram to 2GB,but then i found out that the size of my army won't bother the RAM,it bothers video memory,what a waste of my 260 credits(money).....

any suggestions???

i think forget,which patch got lesser major bugs,for after meet 2 requirement above first(CTD and corrupted save game files for examples,that makes me gotto start all over again)

1 more thing!Can we equip our generals equipments to raise their status as same as retinue?making the market in our city that fine source,the higher the level of our market,the better equipment we can buy from it.(it is the features of "HEROES:MIGHT AND MAGIC" series and "ODA NOBUNAGA" series from KOEI of japan)I think it is better just add the management and influence status but not combat bonus to army(morale is OK) so it won't destroy the balance of TW gaming
    Last edited by guineawolf; 07-23-2007 at 13:32.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

What makes RTW special is the combination of turn based economy with real-time fighting. I own AOE,ROR,AOK,AOKTC,Battle for middle Earth 1&2, and RON. I've more or less abondoned all them except the occaisional foray into Middle-Earth (Rome doesn't have Elves and Goblins riding on giant spiders) But what all these games have in common is that you have to juggle your attention between your builderrs/woodcutters/miners/farmers and your armies. I simply can't multi-task and click fast enough to do these things at a good quality level. You either end up concentrating on your worker bees and then realize your army is getting anniahlated a distance away, or you build up a stud army, fight, then can't keep up the fight because your land is running behind on rescources due to neglect.
    With RTW you can build your econ in a calm, organized fashion, then move your armies around and fight in real time. That's what has made me a RTW junkie.

IceWolf
    "They shall know the power of thy sword" ManoWar

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

With RTW you can build your econ in a calm, organized fashion, then move your armies around and fight in real time. That's what has made me a RTW junkie.
    I used to be a Civilization, AoE2, and BFME addict too, so I'm with you on that one
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur