Poll: Which do you do at least 51% of the time between Occupy, Sack or Exterminate

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Occupy, Sack or Exterminate - Which do you do most often.

Default Occupy, Sack or Exterminate - Which do you do most often.

Yes, the vast majority of us switches on which we pick most often. But for 51% of the time or more. For me, its Occupying but my next campaign it will be Sacking.
    Work, Girlfriend, Responsibilities, Reality, Kids, and MTW - all things in life make life worth living.

Edit October 17th, 2007
    Work-Still hate it but I appreciate having it more now.
    Girlfriend - ? - looks like I am helping Nga now. Miss sex though.
    Responsibilities, Too many bills to too little money
    Reality - (Censored)
    Kids - My son is improving a little bit each day, still far behind but I may have more kids in the future.
    MTW - Kingdoms installed but...Urggg, too soon.
    ----------------
    Conclusion, Life is worth Living now.

Slaying Pagans near you! Member TeutonicKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Occupy, Sack or Exterminate - Which do you do most often.

I'd say I occupy almost 100% of the time.

The other times are when I'm absolutely in dire need of cash, then I sack, or they revolted and kicked me out. Then they are screwed and extermination is the only way I go back in.

Sack Em, dread AND Florins.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

i always sack i always demand money for captives but in 1.2 whole world are always againts me after doing this, so i will stop this shame and play as good boy. i hope i wont die from being bored

Sack. I always sack, even in the games where I have over 800k cash, even though I don't always know why in those cases. Mostly I need the cash (early in the game)
    "Screw you guys, I'm going home..."
    -Eric Cartman, Southpark

Friendly Resident Knight Member Fußball's Avatar

I voted occupy, as most of my family tend to be chivalrous. But requirements must be met otherwise I will likely sack. Occupy if the occasion meets one or more of the following requirements:

1.) Settlement captured by chivalrous and likely merciful family member.
    2.) Settlement belonging to rebels of my own nationality at the beginning of the game. I consider this 'unifying greater (insert faction here)'s lands'.
    3.) The enemy fought considerably well (as best the AI actually can...) and the settlement were captured by a merciful family member.
    4.) Most territories occupied on a crusade despite how extermination would be a better option due to unrest, religious unrest and more often than not, distance to capitol.

Usually if a dreaded or merciless family member is involved I will likely sack or exterminate whichever I deem suitable to fit the situation. If I need the money which I rarely do, sack it is. Or if I simply want a few people to die for insubordination or the like, sack. If said populace is discontent with their new masters, said family member exterminates discontent populace and leaves room only for those who will abide by the rules and settlers from my own lands.

Tschüß!
    Erich

Things are getting better. Well, not as good as yesterday, but definitely better than tomorrow! ~Old Russian Joke

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Fear me, for I choose exterminate.

Oh sure, on blitz runs and in the early game I tend to sack. But ultimately I end up exterminating due to public order concerns, and my lack of any desire to put garrisons in cities.

Sometimes I sack, let it rebel, and then return and exterminate. Either way, I end up hitting the exterminate button over 50% of the time. I get half as many florins, but that's usually enough after I've sacked a major city or two.

The larger my empire gets, the more people end up crucified. When it comes to this game, I do not take prisoners.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 07-17-2007 at 20:50.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Corrupter of Souls Member John_Longarrow's Avatar
    Be it ever so humble, there's no place like the Abyss...

For the most part, as I am the benevolent God Emperor of my lands I simply occupy and convert. Once they know the glory that is ME, my people become loyal and productive.

For I am the BOB, and slack be to my followers!

Sack 'em! Take their money and their women!!!! :)

Sacking

It's where the money is.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Look at everyone voting Republican (Sacking) or Democrat (Occupy).

Looks like I'm the spoiler in this election. Anyone want to bribe me for the extermination vote?

Pizzaguy/Exterminate '08
    Independent
    "Together, we can build a better future on the smoldering rubble and piles of corpses of the vanquished"

VOTE PIZZAGUY/Exterminate '08

And now, the stump speech:

"Hello fellow patriots. Today we stand at the center of the magnificent city that our brave soldiers have taken. The fighting is over, and all the spoils are ours for the taking! Some say that we should loot the city and become rich, rich as Nazis!* Of course, only those business pigs the Repuglicans could come up with such a selfish and greedy plan.

"Still others say that we should occupy the city and try to win the hearts and minds of the natives, and express tolerance and kindness for our fellow man. I don't know about you guys, but I'm YAWNING already! These Dimocrats have no idea that if we show weakness, we will have nothing but riots on our hands in just a few short turns. Bunch of bloody peaceniks if you ask me.

"I know that I am a distant, long shot, third party candidate, but hear me out! Instead of looting the city, and then having to deal with reconstruction and nation-building, or being bloody pacifists and allowing riots to take place, I say we must take a stand now! I say, let's round up all the able-bodied in this city and burn them at the stake! Yes, we shall have a big, massive bonfire, and it shall smell of toasty flesh."

(Boos and heckling)

"Wait! Friends, give this a chance! I guarantee if you follow this plan we shall have peace and order in our time!"

(Louder boos)

"Not only will it ensure the lives of our troops, but we will have a great big new city to populate with good German blood!"

(Much louder boos)

*nervously* "Uhhh... and we can still do some minor looting! It's the best of both worlds! All we need to do is the most evil thing imaginable, and the war will be all but won!"

(Assorted objects are thrown at the stage)

"Ok, well, maybe you can just sit and think about it for a while, and then get back to me. Vote Pizzaguy/extermination '08, for a brighter tomorrow!"

(Several shots are fired)

"How about I just throw my support behind one of the existing candidates?"

(Cheers and celebration)

"Ok, taking bribes now... I'll start the bidding at 50,000 florins."

=====================================
    *Quote by Charles Montgomery Burns, Episode 3F19 The curse of the flying hellfish
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 07-18-2007 at 02:39.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

No?

Nothing?

Not even a titter?

Tough sub.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Hilarious! Uproarious! Stupendous!

I exterminate when it's a really big city, with a massive population, better to start all over again. Or when somebody really pisses me off like the Venetians who I beat in a bloody campaign they sued for peace which I accepted, and then not but 5 turns later they backstab me. I took particular pleasure in destroying and exterminating every last one of their cities.
    But I usually sack, I need the cash.

I occupy cause I love teching up all of my cities. If the population is high enough, though, I sack for public order and money concerns.

depends - either occupy or extermination.

occupy if same religion, extermination if different fraction.

no sacking because i prefer either all the way or none at all

yeah, i am goodie-goodie-boring
    Shinai Fodder

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

in my current campaign I'm only allowed to take rebel settlements by force

so I generally sack them and use the money to buy territories from my neighbours.....

so I can spam assassins out of them and organise nights-of-the-long-knives to bump off their entire royal line in their sleep....

so their lands turn rebel and I can invade and sack them, starting the whole cycle again....

fools
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

When I take a place over I always occupy, then, if they rebel I sack, then, if they rebel again I exterminate.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I try to occupy. Sacking is so lucrative, it is like playing on an easier difficulty level. Exterminating is just mean.

Occupy mostly, certainly when the army is commanded by a General, which is most of the time. I like the chivalry bonuses, I also release all prisoners now for the same reason.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

I sack those of the same faith and exterminate all others. Works well for me.

Heavy Metal Warlord Member Von Nanega's Avatar

Occupy-------> Cities that are green upon capturing.

Sack----------> Cities that are same faith but are yellow.

Exterminate---> Opposite faith cities.

This pretty much regardless of the drea / chiv rating of the general. Just business. Offers the occupied cities can't refuse.
    Last edited by Von Nanega; 07-18-2007 at 17:15.
    Cap badge of the Queens Royal Lancers

The Death or Glory Boys

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

I'll sack almost every time as my economy needs to be pumped up at every occasion...

I'll exterminate major crusades target, and occupy at the last...
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

It depends. I prefer to occupy whenever possible, and you can do that most of the time early game. But late game when you have gigantic cities with massive cultural penalties, extermination on a daily basis is the order of the day. Sacking I do very rarely--if I'm really desperate for cash, mostly.

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

When the settlement is small, I occupy. I want to get the population growth started and there's no money benefit to sacking a small town or stump size castle.

Usually, however, I sack. I'm usually needing the cash.

But when the situation calls for it - public order being the concern and the settlement's religion is different from my own, I exterminate. When I play the Mamluks, Jerusalem will be 'exterminated.' That way I can keep the garrison modest and I can move my army to the next target without too much delay. And it buys me time for developing the 'economic' buildings in the city.
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Update:
    Last two days I been playing TLR mod (England & Venice) and I been occupying catholic towns/forts and sacking all other faiths. Population in TLR mod are too low to do exterminations and sacking the other faiths is enough to control civil unrest when taking over. TLR mod seems to handle unrest better than any mod I have tried before. Too early to tell yet. Need more time to test the mod.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

I usually start with occupying but when the cities get big enough and the sacking of a single enemy city and pay for improvements all over the Knigdom the temptation is too much...

Personally I would prefer it if the feature worked kind of like in RTW:BI where sacking the city left it neutral...

Say occupy the city to keep it, sack it to reck the buildings and loot the place but leave it with the original owner and Extreminate to cull the population and leave the settlement neutral (everying in charge is dead)...

The the last to cases you would always have the opion of attacking again and occupying...

I used to sack a lot, once exterminate a "red mood settlement". But in my current Sicily campaign, I keep to choose occupy, although once I used to sack Milan.
    Medieval 2: Total War Guide to Traits and Retinue
    "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair but manifestations of strength and resolution." - Khalil Gibran

World War 3 erupted in mid-1960's: NATO - Warsaw Pact Conflict multiplayer Interactive, choose one from several available countries

Iron Chef Wannabe Member Fookison's Avatar

I do the same as Wammer and exterminate when provoked. I also occupy when required and very seldom do I sack......

Fighting the Good Fight Member Zasz1234's Avatar

I mainly go for the sacking, I always need the money. I exterminate when loyalty is an issue. I almost never occupy, unless it is a small settlement.
    Inhale, exhale
    Forward, back
    Living, dying:
    Arrows, let flown each to each
    Meet midway and slice
    The void in aimless flight
    --
    Thus I return to the source.

Roosdaal, being spared from cultural influence,a land where farmers still form the majority of the people.Oh yea,in Belgium.

actually , pure for financial reasons, what would be the most profitable :
    1)sacking every city,thus taking the population penalty
    2)occupying the cities,thus having larger settlements faster and more profitable

???????????
    -Verba mea aurea sunt

-Verba volant , scripta manent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast