Poll: What is your favourite R:TW faction?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Faction To Play And Why?

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

Default Favorite Faction To Play And Why?

I have been playing RTW for a few months now and I am Vet of MTW and STW, I love playing the roman Brutii because of their positioning for the annex of greece and the Middle East and the fact I love roman history and feel great re-enacting it as i would have done so given the chance. but also I love to play as the greeks as they have a up hill struggle from the beginning after being attacked every time by both Scipii and Brutii similtaniously within 5 turns of the start of the game. Also the Greek Phalanx Kicks Azz! I like the Greek troops all over (Spartans RULE) and they have a good range of cavalry too.
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

Default Re: Favorite Faction To Play And Why?

I usually play mods, but in vanilla my favourite faction is Macedonia because of being able to re-enact Alexander's conquests!
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool because he has to say something." - Plato

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

The Greeks, and Brutii.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Always fun to take "revenge" with Carthage! Eastern factions like Pontos for example are also loads of fun. Go for the occasional Gaul overhaul... And for the masochistically inclined a Seleukid campaign.

Many Thanks

Noir

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

The Britons, closely followed by the Gauls and Germans. I just love the culture and style
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Post Re: Favorite Faction To Play And Why?

I prefer the Scipii really. There's nothing more fun than butchering Carthaginians and Egyptians with pre-Marian troops. I also feel that they have an easier position for the almighty civil war that always approaches - they never have to share borders with any Roman factions whatsoever if they do not wish to.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

STW: Takeda. I actually can't remember why, but that was it.
    MTW: Spain. Zergrushkekeke! And Egypt.
    RTW: Gauls. With a four-pronged attack for the sake of making it harder. I find the complete lack of a real defensive position enticing, as it forces you to really stampede those Romans, Iberians, Germans and Britons (I play 1.6, so naval invasions happen every 10 minutes).
    or
    Pontus/Seleucia. A semi-challenging campaign, causing me to use new options.
    RTW, BI: Saxons. A good, competitive, infantry faction with a decent start position and plenty of options.
    Blue Lotus: Karazai - A warmongering Mongol horde with massive mobility and options
    Or
    Yomi - Giant, insane, overpowered cat-headed berserk demons. Need I say more?
    Europa Barbarorum: Qarthadastim/Aedui - So easy to get into the roleplaying feel.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

In vanilla RTW I had most fun playing Carthage.It's a challenging faction because you have to fend of the Scipii with those half-assed Carthaginian starting units,but once you get armoured elephants you can just sit back and watch the urban cohorts fly.
    Inca-Total War Traits & Ancillaries

Brutii:Easy, so much money later on and Roman legions which are almost unstopable and if you expand right you can take northen Italy and go into Gaul and Germania and be in a good position for civil war.

Inflecto tenus rex of rex rgis
    Τόξο κάτω στο βασιλιά των βασιλιάδων.
    Im ο αυτοκράτορας και έχει τις λεγεώνες στην εντολή μου.
    Τα χίλια έθνη της ρωμαϊκής αυτοκρατορίας σας κατεβαίνουν opon.
    Ex tuo ipsius fato te Amor servare non potest.

My favorite Romans to play are the Julii because I love conquering barbarians. But I also like the Greeks because of their wealth (and Spartans) and for barbarians I like playing as Spain because of the challenge and location of the faction.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom..."
    -General George S. Patton, US Army

Smile Re: Favorite Faction To Play And Why?

I often play as Julii, true romans for me, its kinda like playing as Caesar.
    Also, an advantage to play as romans,coz of the civil war

my favourite faction is Scipii,but since its temple give the Scipii equipment superiority for army,and naval superiority by Neptune,all enemy is easy to crush,i rather play as greek cities or carthage.....

greek cities?It's temple can be flexible use:
    Aprhodites=population growth
    Hermes=better trade income(replace the silk road provide by eastern faction only,imagine if you can get both of them,and with the help of Secret police network at Londinium!)
    Nike=provide better training troops,and 10% law bonus to prevent city corruption
    Athena=provide leadership for all family member,and 25% law bonus to prevent corruption in cities far far away from capitol.

it's units roster is interesting,i can use mass militia hoplites to fill the job of regulars,then the hoplites are very good as both spearmen and swordsmen,armoured hoplites=roman legions(better charge bonus=7)

Carthage?their 40% law bonus(secret police network and temple of baal) help me cover more border cities corruptions.
    And it's libyan spearmen and poeni infantry's square shields is my favourite (same as romans).Just the Iberian infantry is too weak for me,it is good as swordsmen,but compare to libyan,it's 170denarii upkeep is too expensive for me,even libyan works better than Iberian,Libyan can kill if you get a 10 star general to lead them,it will provide 10 attack bonus to cover up it's 0.73 lethality,use libyan in mass numbers,you will see it's effectiveness.

It is a waste of time to discuss about elephant right then(too strong for me),it's longshield with good morale works well for me,just use them as cleaner of missile troops,let the infantry do every melee combat.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

Ive never beaten Carthage. Its pretty hard because its divided. I think next time ill abandon Corduba and concentrate on fighting the Romans and Numidians.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom..."
    -General George S. Patton, US Army

I like Carthage for the early challenge of fighting on multiple fronts.
    It got a little frustrating when everyone declared war on me early in the game, but overall it was fun.

Ho ho ho, never beaten Carthage, have you? Oh, don't feel bad. That one city on the coast of Spain IS quite a bitch to get to, however. In my campaign, it rebeled, so I didn't have to worry.

I just recently returned to RTW, utterly sick and tired of MTW2.

My fav's (and that I'm now replaying):

1. Germania. If I'm in the mood for exotic, savage, cool and unorthodox mele units to get in there and hack up terrified 'civilized' enemies, I always love Germania. And also it's my anscestory! Britainnia is a close 2nd for same reasons.

2. Greece. I like the classical 'purity' and single-mindedness of the Greek infantry. Pick one thing, and do it perfectly. I basically line up my Spartans and Armored Hoplites, reign down onanger fire, and let the enemy break like water again my phalanx. Somewhat 1 dimensional of course, but that's also the appeal.

3. Seluecus. If I want the best mix of everything, the Seluecids are the best! Cataphracts, companion calvary, armored elephants, silver shield, legionaries, scythied chariots, good god!!!

As for BI, that's a tougher call. In fact, I'm going back, modding to a longer campaign, and replaying alot of those factions as well!

extra reasons,i play as Carthage just becoz i want to get army of using square shield except Romans(roman are too strong,except you played as non-roman faction,then the romans will be your top competitor)Their libyan spearmen and poeni got same armor,same helmet and same square shield,that make both of them look standard as Carthage regulars infantry......Since i find out that elephants are too powerful,i decide to used it as battering ram(1 turn siege,no need to wait),after bring down barbarian walls,it is the time that carthage infantry do their jobs.

1 more thing,i love germania too= for barbarian tribe(my sister married a german husband,that of coz not the main reason.It is becoz with reason above,i get interested into germans,then i found out german have high fighting spirit that make them being recruited as legion just for their fighting spirit,and interesting history(include World war 2,germans equipment are standard)....i use night raiders as my regular infantry,higher morale and better defense compare to axemen,then the real cause,lower upkeep!If you still cannot afford it,then Germania's warhound=(city garrisons cleaner) will be surprise you!
    Last edited by guineawolf; 07-29-2007 at 12:37.
    In all warfare,speed is the key!

cartage, it was the most fun campaign i ever had in tw games. People from my country fanforums were amazed how on earth pontus and armenia grow so strong and big and when they go into alliance my road to egipt was really a epic tale. I fought with everyone, and ended campaign by conquering the last of rome city.

I like the Egyptians the most as they have a very unique range of units. I like their Bow-Sword hybrids, their crazy axemen, their wide selection of phalanx and of course, their devestating chariots. It doesn't hurt that they are in the wealthiest part of the map and they are effectively fighting on just one front.

Their dialog and messages are cool too. They are so zealous and unforgiving.
    I especially like the message you get when an Assasin dies on a mission.

They might not be historical, but they sure are fun.
    I would rather betray the world, than let the world betray me - Cao Cao, King of Wei 155-220

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

It really is too hard for me to say which faction was my fave.

Top selection would be (in RTG):
    Britania
    Greek Cities
    Ilberia
    Thracia

I do enjoy barbarian factions, but at the same time, i love phalanx warfare.

I couldnt put my finger on an absoloute favourite though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."

My favorite has to be the Alemanni from BI. Great cheap archers with the lombardi archers, their spearmen can actually hold a line long enuf to bring your cavalry to bear, and of course, once you've released the hounds, you can release the 'Zerks right behind em and just laugh....

For me, certainly a Roman Faction as they just wipe the floor with all others, I like the Idea of reuniting the whole of Italy before you move on to Gaul, Spain, Macedonia etc and replicate history so that would be SPQR but also I like to get my Family Members to Pontifex Maximus so therefore I cannot play as SPQR so it would have to be Julii as the Brutii have far too much money and get corrupt expenditures even on low tax and the Scipii are very good but the desert bores me. With the Julii you can set out your empire easily and logically work your way around the map.

Red face Re: Favorite Faction To Play And Why?

my fave faction, well i dont really have one but i dont really like any barbain factions and well thats just me, the therace faction bring a good mix but i still very weak, in the greek section of it, althought i like the falxmen

Quote Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    The Greeks, and Brutii.
    hmm i like the greeks especially the phalanx formation, i like that part of it but they still need more formations, the roman civs, they got tactics like the orb which if someone put that on their patch that would be really cool

I've played only Scipii :D For more than few years with some long breaks. Somehow my game started to crash after I conquered Egypt. Therefore I jumped to Carthaginians :)

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Seleucids. Obviously for it's vast array of units, but also because of it's technology and good selection of Temples.

Mine would have to be the Romans(in RTR) because they start off at war with the Greeks, which leaves you in an immediate War for control of southern Italy, eventually the small war builds up experienced generals and nice sized legion that you use to conquer northern italy and sicily when the Gauls and Carthaginians decide to join forces.

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

Vanilla: The Seleucid Empire. The on;y faction with amazing infantry and cavalry that does not answer to the senate

BI; The Western Empire. After ten turns of stabilisation, and with only one rival - mwahahaaa!

EB: Arche Seleukia. Like in Vanilla and BI combined. Except NO rivals!

LOTRTW: Rohirrim. Super cavalry and I enjoy setting up Pellenor

FATW: Reunited Kingdom. Citadel Guard and the chance to lead the silver-armoured lords of men... enough said

N2TW: British Empire. Fighting Russians with heavy cavalry and highlanders is fun.
    Last edited by Flying Pig; 06-23-2008 at 17:08.
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

Been there, conquered that.... Member Darkvicer98's Avatar

RTW-The Greek Cities,Thrace,Pontus and Numidia.

The Greek Cities because it offers a challenge at the start,Conquer Greece. Thrace because of their unit selection and there position on the map. Pontus because they're half Hellanic,half Eastern and Numidia because of their Numidian Cavalry and Numidian Legionaries.

BI-Celts or Berbers.

Celts because there still have Barbarian like units and they and Berbers because they have Desert Infantry and Cavalry.
    Last edited by Darkvicer98; 06-07-2008 at 17:37.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of War!

A brave man may fall,but he cannot yield-Latin Proverb

Arms keep peace-Latin Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicdahedgie View Post
    Ho ho ho, never beaten Carthage, have you? Oh, don't feel bad. That one city on the coast of Spain IS quite a bitch to get to, however. In my campaign, it rebeled, so I didn't have to worry.
    oh c'mon carthage is so... easy to kill if u want to kill them

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast