Thread: AI surprise

Corrupter of Souls Member John_Longarrow's Avatar
    Be it ever so humble, there's no place like the Abyss...

Default AI surprise

OK, the AI has finally done something that surprised me.. ALOT.

I'm using the 1.02 patch and I'm playing Milan on M/VH. I had taken Vienna from the HRE and they had come back and sieged it.

First turn of the siege they start building siege equipment and I sally out to knock out as many missile troops as possible.

Second turn I am informed they've got the gates open. They start rolling a single siege tower towards me while EVERYTHING ELSE is dropped. They do a three prong attack against me, heavy cav to the east, general followed by some cav and a lot of infantry against my main gate, and some infantry goes to the West.

I've never seen the AI be so smart before. They did about what I'd have done to them, and they slaughtered my troops.

They waited me out for a turn to reduce my garrison (in this case I lost my unit of crossbows knocking out one of their units of crusader knights) then pulled a fast one on me before I could remove their sieging army.

Lets just say, if the AI started being that bright all the time a certain Pizza person wouldn't be able to blitz so easily.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

Default Re: AI surprise

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Longarrow
    OK, the AI has finally done something that surprised me.. ALOT.

I'm using the 1.02 patch and I'm playing Milan on M/VH. I had taken Vienna from the HRE and they had come back and sieged it.

First turn of the siege they start building siege equipment and I sally out to knock out as many missile troops as possible.

Second turn I am informed they've got the gates open. They start rolling a single siege tower towards me while EVERYTHING ELSE is dropped. They do a three prong attack against me, heavy cav to the east, general followed by some cav and a lot of infantry against my main gate, and some infantry goes to the West.

I've never seen the AI be so smart before. They did about what I'd have done to them, and they slaughtered my troops.

They waited me out for a turn to reduce my garrison (in this case I lost my unit of crossbows knocking out one of their units of crusader knights) then pulled a fast one on me before I could remove their sieging army.

Lets just say, if the AI started being that bright all the time a certain Pizza person wouldn't be able to blitz so easily.

A certain Pizza person doesn't defend his cities anyway. Playing defense reduces your ability to blitz. I am pure offense. In such situations I trade hits with the AI, but since I move faster than the computer, their entire nation is reduced to rubble. And the most cities I've ever lost in such situations is one, because the computer then decides to stupidly garrison the very city they captured instead of pressing their advantage.

Even if they were competent attackers, it wouldn't slow down my ability to blitz, it would merely delay my ability to create reinforcements, which after a certain point, isn't necessary anyway.

I am sure you were joking there but you're still technically wrong. They would have to be both a larger nation than I and have more troops on the field AND be equally competent at blitzing as I in order for them to defeat me using my own methods. A very unlikely occurrence. Until then, I'll be satisfied if they can build an AI that knows how to competently defend their empire.

Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 07-20-2007 at 04:59.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Corrupter of Souls Member John_Longarrow's Avatar
    Be it ever so humble, there's no place like the Abyss...

Default Re: AI surprise

PizzaGuy,

I'm thinking something like "Five of your cities get hit on the same turn by amphibious assault, and its turn 2".

Truth is, this was the first time the AI has pulled out a really good tactical and strategic trick on me. The HRE didn't get to its crusade target first, so they moved back a large stack (Crusader troops) that attacked me shortly after I had taken Vienna and moved on to Prague. They were coming out of a blind spot and I didn't get troops up to deal with them quick enough. Now I've got Vienna under siege and I'm moving in the rest of the troops I need to storm it. Yep, one General and all the mercs I could buy was a nice way of setting up the siege!