Thread: Bluescreen problem with Planescape Torment on XP

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Bluescreen problem with Planescape Torment on XP

I've had problems before when trying to bombard Strahan Runeshadow with Chromatic Orbs, but worked around it by getting up close with a dagger. However, there is no getting away from this one. I'm in the Trash Warrens, I've stepped through the portal into the cranium rats' lair, and the rats thrown an ice knife at me just as I materialise, upon which the game bluescreens. I've not had this problem before when playing on Win98, so I presume the problem is compatibility with XP. Has anyone played this on XP? Any advice on how to get around this?

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default Re: Bluescreen problem with Planescape Torment on XP

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    I've had problems before when trying to bombard Strahan Runeshadow with Chromatic Orbs, but worked around it by getting up close with a dagger. However, there is no getting away from this one. I'm in the Trash Warrens, I've stepped through the portal into the cranium rats' lair, and the rats thrown an ice knife at me just as I materialise, upon which the game bluescreens. I've not had this problem before when playing on Win98, so I presume the problem is compatibility with XP. Has anyone played this on XP? Any advice on how to get around this?
    Why you dont try Compatibility?

I had to use it in Pharaoh, the Queen of the nile, becasue I had a problem with XP. The game works ok after it.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Quote Originally Posted by Garcilaso de la Vega el Inca
    Why you dont try Compatibility?

I had to use it in Pharaoh, the Queen of the nile, becasue I had a problem with XP. The game works ok after it.
    I've just tried that, with no luck. I'm now going to install this on another machine, see if I can get past this point there, then transfer the save file back when I'm done.

Meh. Mine works pretty well on XP, only CTD I've had so far was trying to use Ignus' firestorm thing for the first time.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    I've just tried that, with no luck. I'm now going to install this on another machine, see if I can get past this point there, then transfer the save file back when I'm done.
    Solved it, although I had other problems to deal with. It seems the latest graphics driver has problems dealing with some spell effects, so playing the fight on the laptop works. However, since I'd installed some fixes on my PC Torment, whose nature I couldn't remember, the laptop install refused to load my saved game at first. So I copied the entire PST folder over, which fixed that, which allowed me to then fix the first problem. Once I'd got past that bit, I returned the saved game to the PC.