Thread: Throwing javelins before closing

Default Throwing javelins before closing

Is it possible for Spear wielding units to throw a javelin or two before closing in and fighting. I know the Roman legions throw javelins before closing in, but these units are equiped with swords. I haven't tried to edit any spear infantry just yet and wanted to ask you all before I went on a fool's errand. If possible, I plan on making certain spearmen (only the ones that don't form phalanx) and heavy cavalry (once again, the ones equipped with spears and shields) throw a few javelins before closing in.

Thnx in advance.
    MS

CeltiberoRamiroI Member Monkwarrior's Avatar
    Salduie/Caesaraugusta/ Sarakusta/Saragossa

Default Re: Throwing javelins before closing

Yes, it is possible.
    Iberia Total War and other mods use spearmen or cavalry able to throw javelins, either as the main weapon (skirmishers) or as weapon previous to charge (as pila for romans).
    You need to include the corresponding skeleton in descr_model_battle and edit the entries for primary and secondary weapons in export_descr_units. But before that you must include the javelins in the 3D model, of course.

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

Yes, hypasists on ATW are spear units that throw javelins
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."

I went ahead and tried it with RTW and gave the Roman Town Watch some pilums before closing in with their spears. Everything seemed to work except when the Town Watch are in close combat, you can't see their spears anymore. I didn't have to edit the 3D model to see the javelins in the game. I hope I don't have to see the spears again cuz I know jack about 3dmax and don't really care to learn. thnx for ur help thus far. holla back.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

If I'm understanding what you've done correctly, you've modified the DMB so that Roman Town Watch have javelin as their primary weapon, and spear as their secondary weapon, but you haven't changed the model (which would also mean changing the skin incidentally).

If this is correct then what is happening is that you will see the town watch throwing the primary weapon from the model (i.e. the spear) but once they are out of javelins (or you tell them to stop throwing) they switch to their secondary weapon which doesn't exist in the model.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Oohhh. Thnx. I was wondering what was up with that. Sheesh. So there's no way of pulling this up withut dusting off my old ass copy of 3dx Max?

The Dark Knight Member wlesmana's Avatar

Nope. The model must have 2 objects flagged as primary weapon and secondary weapon for 2 weapons-wielding units to work properly.

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

since we are on the topic...

Is there any way to make the romans not throw pilla when unnecessary? Whenever they are in melee with another unit, i click on another target and they throw pilla first while they get massacered...it also wastes the pilla when i may need it later.
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Make sure you have turned off skirmishing (i.e. click the skirmishing symbol so they don't skirmish).

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

or you could hold the "Alt" key while giving the order and they will use thier alternate attack.