Thread: Spearmen!

Default Spearmen!

I love how the roman reforms work, but after the marian reforms i find myself likeing spearmen, i understand i should use locals but the only real spearmen in the hellenic world are hoplites and how realistic is it to use them

also i understand the mithrades came from pontus and a ponitc kinga and that in is fight agiasnt rome use something like imitation legionaries, so are these in the works for pontus

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Spearmen!

Well, the Romans loved their swordsmen. If you like spear armies, maybe you should play a different faction for a while. The Romans never fielded large armies of Greekishly equipted units.

Units that fought like Romans (with mail armor, percursor javalin, ect) were called 'Imitation Legionaries' by the Roman historians. They were most likely the Thorakitai and similar hellenistic units. I think this is even in the FAQ.

Marcus I remember reading though a couple "client"(coughbitchcough) states actually did have true knock off legionaries and there called that cause they where trained by Roman officers .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The Numidians are the only one that I can think of that had actual 'imitation legionaries'. But yes, they did exsist.

Is it in the works for pontos to have thorokati or for a regional thorokati

Yep, they're done already too. Just awaiting integration. It's on a different model though I believe.

sweat

The other "real" imitation legionaries I can think of is the later ptolemaic basilikon agema reformed by ptolemy auletes after he was brought back in power by roman armies...
    The best is yet to come.
    ZX MiniMod: Where MTW meets AOE
    https://www.wmwiki.com/hosted/ZxMod.exe
    Now on beta 3 with playable golden horde!

Generally, the Romans called any soldier that was equiped the same way as them "immitation legionnaires", generally it was because the Romans were very egotisitic and didn't really pay attention to the fact that they themselves copied other people in their armour and warfare, so make sure to take the description "immitation legionnaires" with a pinch of salt. It is true, though that Roman centurions and officers were used by other nations to train their soldiers in the Roman way of fighting because of the success of the Roman legions.