Thread: can not create game font - this is a problem

Default can not create game font - this is a problem

Hi,

I tried to install EB today (again).
    And (again) I failed miserably.
    The game load ok, but when I am about to get the menu-screen (with options and stuff) : instant CTD!

The reason the game won't work, probably is due to the fact that my RTW is the DVD-version which includes BI.

But anyway... This last CTD I got the error message I've put in the titel...

Can anyone help me? Or am I doomed to play RTR the rest of my RTW-days

Cheers.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Default Re: can not create game font - this is a problem

I'm no expert, but I also have a DVD version of RTW with BI - so caled RTW Gold- and EB runs smoothly, with and without BI, and with other unoficial mods as well. So I dont think that your problem is related to the DVD or BI.
    Good luck
    G

Thanks for the quick reply

I tried to install EB a few times already in the last six months and it always crashes on or even before menu screen. Usually the moment the music starts the light goes out and it's back to desktop. If I get past that, I get a CTD the moment I click on something on the menu screen.

It could be that EB may be installing into the Activision folder and not the Sega folder
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

EB sits save and soundly in my Creative Assembly folder.
    Besides, if it was in the wrong folder the game wouldn't even start up.

Does RTW start as normal?

What language is your RTW?

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Sorry I kept you waiting.

My language is English so that ain't the problem.
    And what do you mean with starting up as normal?

RTW works yes. And like I said before, I have played RTR, so I know how to install a mod and to get it working. I even modded RTR slightly myself while playing it, so that's why I don't understand why EB won't work.

What does FileMon say when it crashes? Have you tried the Oasis CTD fix, that has been the culprit when some others had trouble starting the game (but then with quite another error message ).
    Last edited by bovi; 07-30-2007 at 15:13.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Did you install EB on top of a clean RTW 1.5 build? No mods have been installed on your version of RTW you keep for EB? It actually is RTW 1.5, not 1.2 or 1.3?

In any case your error message looks like s.o. has been messing with your font_db file.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I reinstalled everything today and tried the Oasis CTD-fix on top.
    Now it just crashes at the menu screen without any error messages.
    I do notice that troubles start when the music begins. And on the menu screen (I can see it in a flash before the CTD) I see that "Quit" is grey, like someone just clicked it...

I don't know what filemon is, but if I've googled it right, it is something like my Task manager? If that is so, my taskmanager says nothing about it.
    There's nothing going on except my normal processes once I'm back to desktop.

*sigh*

edit : to Tellos : yes I've removed everything RTW-related from my PC and then reinstalled it from the RTW Gold DVD (= RTW 1.5).
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 07-30-2007 at 16:35.

Filemon is somewhat different from TaskManager: it monitors what files are accessed and read on your PC and you can set up filters to monitor RTW only. (So you can see what file is read at the moment it CTD's, or rather what file fails to be read.)

I also suppose you do not have BI running on your RTW install?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Tellos is right about FileMon. FYI, it's made by SysInternals, which was acquired by Microsoft somewhat recently. Their excellent products remain free, among them FileMon, and Process Explorer which is similar to Task Manager and probably what you meandered into.

I had a somewhat similar problem with KOTOR back when I had a faulty graphics card. Have you tried to upgrade your graphics driver to the latest available? Have you tried downgrading it to an older version (like, two years old) to compare?

I think you should first download FileMon and try it out, it might give a valuable clue. First try to filter away anything non-RTW, and if that doesn't tell us anything you can try to run it unfiltered (it will gobble up your memory pretty fast though).
    Last edited by bovi; 07-30-2007 at 17:09.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I don't really understand what you mean by that, but since it's rtwgold both games are installed it the same folder. But BI does not run when I play RTW vanilla, nor when I start up EB.

edit : I have an old ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics Card, so yeah there could be the problem...
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 07-30-2007 at 17:11.

Try the (Unofficial) EB with BI patch before buying a new GFX card, though: the unofficial patch is free. It might work, and if it does it will save you quite a bit of money, I bet.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Can you give me a link to the patch?
    I remember seeing it, but I can't seem to find it now...
    Must be overlooking it

I didn't say your card is faulty, I asked you to try a few drivers for it. And do try FileMon.

================
    ================

- Tellos Athenaios

Axebitten Modder Senior Member Dol Guldur's Avatar

Have you tried it, out of interest, without the music insatlled?
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."