Thread: What are the differences between MTW and RTW?

Default What are the differences between MTW and RTW?

I've been a RTW junkie for about a year now, and on a whim, I bought MTW-Gold. It installed ok, but I haven't played it yet. How is it different from RTW? thanks

IceWolf
    "They shall know the power of thy sword" ManoWar

Post Re: What are the differences between MTW and RTW?

Hi IceWolf,
    Perhaps this thread could help you out. Hope this helps, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What are the differences between MTW and RTW?

Icewolf, expect to lose your first few battles. You have to be more tactical in this total war game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: What are the differences between MTW and RTW?

Hey IceWolf, good to see you picked up MTW; I think you'll find it was a good purchase.

In my opinion, there are three key differences between RTW and Medieval:

1.) Visuals: MTW's graphics are obviously somewhat primitive compared to Rome's. Troops appear on the battlefield as simple 2D sprites instead of the full 3D models you're used to.

2.) Campaign map: Instead of a 3D map, Medieval's is a 2D Risk-style map. This is significant because armies, fleets, and agents move differently in MTW than in Rome -- instead of posessing a certain amount of movement points, they all simply move from province to province (or between sea regions, in the case of ships).

3.) AI: At both the empire level and (especially) the combat level, Medieval's AI is far for more competent than in RTW. The computer is generally much better at attacking with good-sized armies -- you won't see very many battles where you're invaded by a pitiful half-stack of troops! Likewise, the battle AI employs its units against you in a fairly logical and sensible manner. It's not perfect, of course, but on average you'll find the combat AI provides a good challenge; you have to use actual tactics and good maneuvering to be victorious.

For further details, you should follow Omanes' recommendation and check out this thread.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Son of Gloin, Cleaver of Orcs Member Gimli's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: What are the differences between MTW and RTW?

MTW/VI is great! I would recommend it to anyone!!! I started playing just normal MTW on my brother's computer, then bought my own game which had both MTW and VI. It was SOOOO much better! THEN I discovered the org! It was here that I was introduced (after some lurking around for a few weeks) to the MTW mod! Since that day, I have played it for HOURS AND HOURS and loved it!!! Also tried a few other mods, all good! (well, the finished ones!)
    "May the best dwarf win!"
    ......... ...........