Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New factions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New factions?

Which new factions would you like to see in E.B?

Default Re: New factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jo the Greek
    Which new factions would you like to see in E.B?
    Illyria would be nice. Perhaps another Germanic faction also. Oh, yeah, and Numida.

Illyria good idea a faction between balkans and italy would mess the things a lot .

nubian and indian, though they are perhaps off the map.

i dont know how much is know about nubian military structure either

New germanic and briton faction, Numidia and Pergamon, another ideas are Syracuse, Celtiberians and something which would attack Seleucids like Maccabees as a non-playable faction which will appear

my balloons

A new Germanic faction to balance out the Swezboz, perhaps the Suebi maybe? Unless you made the SwezBoz a coalition including the Suebi but they would be a good faction to have along with another Germanic faction to balance out the region so that the Swezboz don't just steam roll the Aedui and Averni and have some stronger competition. Or perhaps another Celtaberian tribe or even another Gallic tribe, the Menepii or a Belgian tribe (sp?) perhaps, they were both a big part of the Gallic resistance against Caeser.

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Woops...double post...blame AOL not me. I hate AOL, but, dial-up is what it is for now. So be it.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; 07-27-2007 at 04:45.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

The Attalids' Pergamonian Kingdom would be cool. Then again, they're is a million of them that would be cool. Boo on CA for creating a faction limit....I remember the XL mod for MTW had like 50 factions (don't know the exact number, I just know it was a lot more than 21). Soooo, CA, this boo's for you. Boo.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Quote Originally Posted by The Internet
    A new Germanic faction to balance out the Swezboz, perhaps the Suebi maybe? Unless you made the SwezBoz a coalition including the Suebi but they would be a good faction to have along with another Germanic faction to balance out the region so that the Swezboz don't just steam roll the Aedui and Averni and have some stronger competition. Or perhaps another Celtaberian tribe or even another Gallic tribe, the Menepii or a Belgian tribe (sp?) perhaps, they were both a big part of the Gallic resistance against Caeser.
    Latin Suebii = Proto-Germanic *Swēbōz from *swēbaz sb.m.: ON Sváfa-land 'land of the Swabians', OE pl. Swǽfe 'Swabians', OHG pl. Swāba id. Cf. also Lat-Germ Suēbi, Suēvi. Based on PGmc *swēsaz adj.: Goth swes 'one's own', ON sváss id., OE swǽs id., OFris swēs 'related', OS swās 'own, nice, cosy', OHG swās 'private, intimate, homely'. Derived from IE *sue-: Skt svá- 'own,' Av hva- id., Gk ὂς id., Lat suus id., OPrus swais, Slav *svojь

the Teutons would be just another Celtic tribe... yes, both the notorious "Teutons" as well as the "Germans" were not really Germanic at all (language/ethnicity) but Celtic, check the Oxford English dictionary if you don't believe me, or read Caesar's propoganda efforts against Celts on the other side of the Rhine aka 'Germans'. That is not to say that any particular Indo-European people was exclusive to a certain area and many were far more mixed amongst other cultures than believed.

although everybody in EB wants another Germanic faction for variety and balance, there is little evidence to support any supra-tribal governments during 270BC, in-fact the Suebi are borderline appropriate in the first place, practically a singular option... the problem is no literate people of the time cared to write about that area until Caesar or later which isn't very valid for the 270-50BC period which most of EB takes place during... yes, there are a few who did write little bits but it's nothing to support a faction my point being, don't get your hopes up... we Germanophiles and those of other interests are trying.

there are Proto-Balts who are recorded consistently for a long time in the East, although their government is hardly the supra-tribal confederacy i described
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 07-27-2007 at 03:47.
    HWÆT !
    “Vesall ertu þinnar skjaldborgar!” “Your shieldwall is pathetic!” -Bǫðvar Bjarki [Hrólfs Saga Kraka]
    “Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl þonne his ellen déah.” “The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good.” -Bēowulf
    “Gørið eigi hárit í blóði.” “Do not get blood on [my] hair.” -Sigurð Búason to his executioner [Óláfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes þū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

Lightbulb Re: New factions?

why everybody not suggest ethiopia and india!!![]

Elite Peasant Member Son of Perun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abou! View Post
    why everybody not suggest ethiopia and india!!![]
    I suggest you should try reading this thread first, then ask questions

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Almost a Bartix.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

I play for Romans on Hard/Hard and I have really big problems with Swebos. They press me very hard in northern Ilyria. I am goig to mad of them and crowds of their field and mercenary armies. I think that new German faction could balance the force on the north and slow down their expansion. It could be the same as balance between Aeudi and Arverni.

I mean it would be good to renew Numidia for possibility of Roman diplomatic war with Karthastim.

Interesting would be united tribes of Ilyria or if not, than more mercenary Ilyria units for Epirus kingdom.

It would be nice to see Pergamon and Syracuse kingdoms on the strategic map but I think it is not necessary to be playable.

Do you think that it is possible to place in Iberian peninsula town of Saguntum? Because massacre in this town of Hannibal's troop was a "cause" for second Punic War.
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Saguntum was also known by the native name of 'Arse'. Saguntum is the Roman name for the city.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 07-27-2007 at 20:47.

Why not add a Slavic faction?
    There's a free space west of Sarmatians, exactly where the old Slavs lived - today's east Poland, western Ukraine and parts of Belarus

The problem I think with the Slavs is that almost nothing is known about them. If I could add another ten factions to EB, they would be:

1. Pergamon
    2. Syrakousai
    3. Nabataia
    4. Numidia
    5. Another Iberian tribe (I don't know their names, sorry!)
    6. Belgae
    7. Bastarnoz
    8. Another Germanic tribe (Hattoz? Heruskoz? Maybe even the Helvetii? I don't know which would be best)
    9. An Illyrian faction of some sort (the Ardiaioi?)
    10. The Thracian Odrysai might be quite interesting...

Well blitz, arguing the Teutonii being celtic is rather the minority of historical researchers.
    The majority, as Frostwulf alrready mentioned, definately see them as germanic along the Cimbri and Ambroni.

I fear you going to include the Lugians as half celtic and half germanic.
    Would not be my choice, but...
    Any news on wolf and bear-warriors b.t.w.?
    At least for EB2?

would the nubians be able to fit entirely in the EB
    map?

Quote Originally Posted by KARTLOS
    would the nubians be able to fit entirely in the EB
    map?
    any thought on the nubians guys?

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaFe
    Well blitz, arguing the Teutonii being celtic is rather the minority of historical researchers.
    The majority, as Frostwulf alrready mentioned, definately see them as germanic along the Cimbri and Ambroni.

I fear you going to include the Lugians as half celtic and half germanic.
    Would not be my choice, but...
    Any news on wolf and bear-warriors b.t.w.?
    At least for EB2?
    Probably in EB1. Oops, you didn't hear that from me ;)
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

I'd like two:

1) A Helleno-Skythian faction on the north shore of the Black Sea.

I don't mind exactly who or where, so long as it mixes classical (non-phalanx) hoplites, horse archers, missile troops, and light and heavy cavalry from the steppe. I've found these medium-weight fluid armies very enjoyable to play, compared to the straightforward Hellenic heavy pike/lance combo or the repetetive slow attrition of the HA {edit: horse archer} armies. Furthermore, it's one of the more interesting strategic positions on the map -- many directions to expand, many types of enemy to face, and it might even be worth building a navy.

But there's no faction here, so one doesn't get the chance. I've had more fun migrating the Hai/Getai to this area than playing them on their home turf.

2) Syracuse.

Nothing like starting with your toes in the fire... Judging by the Eleutheroi city in EB1, this faction would start with quite a high population and infrastructure and enough economy to run a useful army, plus a good set of walls and (I think) siege technology. If you manage to take Sicily, you've got a base which could stand off Rome and Carthage and eventually go further. Given a ruler with an Alexander streak, Syracuse might change the course of history.

Also Syracuse is a name to conjure with -- e.g. I'd heard of Hannibal's siege of Syracuse long before I knew where the city was. It's a good opportunity to let the player do something amaziing.

Syracuse might die pretty easily as an AI faction, but I'd rather that factions were balanced to be played. {People on this forum seem a little obsessed with AI faction balancing, I think they sometimes miss the point that the game gets played by humans too.}
    Last edited by Morte66; 08-05-2007 at 14:28.

Fight like a meatgrinder

What does HA mean? Hayasdan? :S

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Herenow
    What does HA mean? Hayasdan? :S
    Horse archer. I'll edit.

I'm thinking in terms of gameplay, not history. This being a game, and not a flash-animated historical text.

Fight like a meatgrinder

I don't want the Sassanids as an emerging faction. I want the possibility of a Persian faction emerging. These may come from the same area as the Sassanids did, but wouldn't be a Cataphract army as that culture hadn't reached Persis yet.

But that emerging faction list was just a heap of ideas thrown out there.

OK, now I understand!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfeeder
    I don't want the Sassanids as an emerging faction. I want the possibility of a Persian faction emerging. These may come from the same area as the Sassanids did, but wouldn't be a Cataphract army as that culture hadn't reached Persis yet.

But that emerging faction list was just a heap of ideas thrown out there.
    We won't be using emerging factions, this was decided long ago.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Morte66
    Horse archer. I'll edit.

I'm thinking in terms of gameplay, not history. This being a game, and not a flash-animated historical text.
    We think in terms of history, and that describes our gameplay. There of course a lot of Greek cities on the northern shores of the Black Sea, so you never know! They wouldn't have pikes though, they would have a more of a KH army.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Foot
    We think in terms of history, and that describes our gameplay.
    Yep. I sometimes wish you'd think more in terms of "what could have happened" than "what actually happened" in an interactive medium like computer games. But it's your mod, and I enjoy it, so it's no biggie. :)

They wouldn't have pikes though,
    That's why I like 'em. I find the successor heavy pike phalanx + heavy cavalry armies a bit "blunt implement", I enjoy the fluid hoplite/missile/cavalry armies more.

they would have a more of a KH army.
    But with good cavalry and horse archers! And their neighbours wouldn't be all successor-style armies, they'd have a much wider mix of opponents. And they wouldn't get a license to print money by knocking over 2 Epeirote + 3 Macedonian cities in the first five years.

Fight like a meatgrinder

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

A lot of focus, as usual, is directed towards Europe when this topic is discussed which IMHO is a strategical dead-end. EB already portrays this region well enough.

The introduction of Sabaeans made the whole south-eastern part of the map more enjoyable and more efforts like these would be preferred.
    Introducing a Nubian kingdom like the Meroitic state is an excellent idea. It stretched from the 2nd cataract well beyond the 6th. And a thriving kingdom around the Axum region (SE Nubia/ W Ethiopia) would be implementable too. How about the Libyans then?

In W.Africa around Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria and through the Atlas mountain range there where several berber kingdoms, like the Numidians, and atleast one of them deserves some representation.
    Personally I´d also like to see some emergant states scripted at historical date.

I´ve studied Egypts ancient history extensively for 20 years and we always ignore the tremendous trade and influence of the Read Sea region, Africas horn and inner Africa had on the "civilized world" back then. Take the Phoenicians and later Carthaginians for example. There is a reason why the founded cities all over Africa. Maybe our knowledge of these areas is just too scarce for us to fully comprehend and "feel" for a faction from these regions?!

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I take it you haven't read the entire thread.

It's been made clear by the team that
    • There won't be any African factions (Kush, Meroe, Axum...) due to the engine's restrictions (culture)
    • There won't be emergent or unplayable factions for all of them will be playable from the beginning.

As for me, assuming that CA release a Kingdoms version not infested with the malware Securom and thus I play EBII, I would like to see another barbarian faction to counterbalance the Swêboz, the Casse or Lusotana, if not all of them. Another nomadic faction would help too.

I feel itchy about Koinon Hellenon and would prefer the city-states proper, in some sort of a league Kingdoms is supposed to support if possible, but the team discarded that option too.

What I would not want is another Hellenistic faction on top of the present 7, particularly in Mikrasia. Just in case:
    If somebody concludes that I have anything against the Hellenistic culture from this statement, solely concerned by game balance, then he needs professional assistance.

A Numidian faction is, IIRC, hinted to be being considered.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 12-14-2007 at 20:06.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast