Poll: Would you like to see a Rise of Islam mod?

Thread: Rise of Islam mod

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Default Rise of Islam mod

It'd be nice to do a mod based on the rise of Islam, where you run around with Mohammed and his Umma out of Medina on the Arab peninsula and around. It would need hardly any new graphics. Possibly Sassanian troops, but those might be able to be imported from RTW:BI?

It would also be nice to work in "Ali's" revolt of Abu Bakr into it. I have no idea how that could be carried out. Also we'd have the problem that Muslims at this period didn't allow non Arabs to covert to Islam. The religious system is going to be hard to tweak for this.

Any ideas?
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Default Re: Rise of Islam mod

I have always hoped for CA to make a game coving this period. It always seems to be a popular idea in the comunity in polls and such, but when it comes down to modding, no one has taken it from an idea to a concept. I have always found this time period to be interesting, although I don't a lot of knowledge on the time period. I would try to support/ help if someone would like to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg
    Also we'd have the problem that Muslims at this period didn't allow non Arabs to covert to Islam. The religious system is going to be hard to tweak for this.
    Where did you hear that ?

Anyway there's a mod in development called Broken Crescent that give more attention to muslim factions rather than europeans like in other mods.
    Say: O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve, nor do you serve what I serve, nor shall I serve what you are serving, nor shall you be serving what I serve.
    To you your religion, and to me my religion.

Annoying Warhammer know-it-all Member DrZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT
    Where did you hear that ?
    um, history. It's not like it's a secret. The reasons for this is slightly more controversial and I'd hate this thread become a discussion on religion. Non-muslims who lived under Muslim rule where called Dhimmis, and where expected and required to keep their original religion and customs. Conversion to Islam by non-Arabs was forbidden. This started happening many hundreds of years later under Ottoman rule.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT
    Anyway there's a mod in development called Broken Crescent that give more attention to muslim factions rather than europeans like in other mods.
    Cool, I'll check it out.
    Last edited by DrZoidberg; 07-30-2007 at 15:29.
    Sorry you must have been boring. -Dr Zoidberg

Hey guys I am actually making a mod about the Rise of Islam for Medieval II Total War if you're interested:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=118728

Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg
    um, history. It's not like it's a secret. The reasons for this is slightly more controversial and I'd hate this thread become a discussion on religion. Non-muslims who lived under Muslim rule where called Dhimmis, and where expected and required to keep their original religion and customs. Conversion to Islam by non-Arabs was forbidden. This started happening many hundreds of years later under Ottoman rule.

Cool, I'll check it out.
    Well you could just have no imams and not make mosques etc buildable in non arab terriotories. Shouldnt that solve the problem?
    Imperator de Basileia Ton Romaion-A "The long road" M2tw AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...41#post1657841
    Click here if you want to know what a freshly shaven **** looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post

Cool, I'll check it out.
    You are absolutely misinformed regarding this, conversion was not only allowed but loved by muslims, as it is one of the most important duty of a muslim to call others for the religion of Allah. However as it is also stated in the Qur'aan, none can be forced to convert, so those who preferred to not convert from the Christians, Jews and afaik magians were considered as dhimmies, whom the islamic state protected and in return they payed tax (since they anyway did not join the army in case of war).

Quote Originally Posted by jadam View Post
    You are absolutely misinformed regarding this, conversion was not only allowed but loved by muslims, as it is one of the most important duty of a muslim to call others for the religion of Allah. However as it is also stated in the Qur'aan, none can be forced to convert, so those who preferred to not convert from the Christians, Jews and afaik magians were considered as dhimmies, whom the islamic state protected and in return they payed tax (since they anyway did not join the army in case of war).
    Yes, that's exactly the same info I have, I've never heard that they not allowed others to convert, let's also remember that Mamlukes where europeans converted to Islam since childhood (educated) and that was way before the Ottoman Empire.

By the way, I would be a very cool mod, I think pop culture has Islamic Warriors underated
    Last edited by Hildefuns; 08-02-2011 at 02:15.

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

I'm surprised that you say that at this time the Arabs didn't allow non-Arabs to accept Islam because that is contradictory to the teachings of Islam. I'm surprised because for example black slave Malik was one of the first muslims and he wasn't Arab but Ethioptian/Abbysynian. Moreover, the emissaries sent by the Prophet of Islam to the Byzantines and the Persians openly encouraged them to convert witth their whole states.

Another issue I think should be adressed, is the idea of including character of the Prophet Muhammad in this mod. This idea is breaching one of the fundamental rules of Islam. Depicting the Prophet as a game character could be a controversial move to say the least. Ofcourse it won't be controversial if this mod is only adressed to non-muslims, but I can hardly think that would be the case.

The period, or the whole idea of the Rise of Islam campaign is a matter of personal tastes ofcourse. I am myself a muslim but I don't find that kind of campaign especially interesting.