Thread: French Navy in 1700

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Default French Navy in 1700

Can anybody give me a link for the French Navy in 1700? Strength, tactics, commanders etc. All other European and Ottomanian navies of this time are interesting, too!!

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default Re: French Navy in 1700

I don't have any special links but at this time the French Navy was in another period of decline. When the minister Colbert died Louis XIV once again forgot about maintaining the navy. This wiki entry might prove to be useful to you though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ships_of_the_line

For example in Voltaire's The Age of Louis XIV it shows that in 1672 France had only 60 ships of the line in its Navy but by 1681 it had expanded to 198 ships of the line. Formidable but not capable of standing up to the combined Dutch and English fleets.

The last major sea battle for the French just before 1700 was the battle of La Hogue (1692) when Louis XIV had his admiral (Tourville) engage a fleet twice his own strength. After this the French spent a good deal of time just conducting interdiction warfare against the British with limited success.
    Last edited by spmetla; 07-27-2007 at 08:20.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Default Re: French Navy in 1700

Try this link: xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/fleets.htm.
    It will give you some other links.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"