Thread: Unexplainable revolts in captured cities

Default Unexplainable revolts in captured cities

Type II government and leaved every building intact besides the old government building of the Seleukids and the military buildings (they were useless to me). However, although the city is occupied with a very influential family member with good retinues (particularily with characteristics against public unrest, or rather in favour of public happiness) and lots of troops (Hoplitai Haploi, Parthian Light Spearmen and Babylonian Spearmen), it revolts every 15-20 turns. The public order is 160% at the beginning and then abates very fast – although the family member has no traits which benefit this effect.
    What can I do to pacify Seleukeia once and for all? To recapture this town consistently is enormous weakening my troops on the Seleukid front – and my motivation declines more and more.
    The same occurrence seems to happen now in Ankyra. I don´t know what is going wrong…

Regards Marcel

Default Re: Unexplainable revolts in captured cities

Sorry:

In my Macedonian campaign in occupied the Seleukid large city of Seleukeia. I established a Type II government and leaved every building intact besides the old government building of the Seleukids and the military buildings (they were useless to me). However, although the city is occupied with a very influential family member with good retinues (particularily with characteristics against public unrest, or rather in favour of public happiness) and lots of troops (Hoplitai Haploi, Parthian Light Spearmen and Babylonian Spearmen), it revolts every 15-20 turns. The public order is 160% at the beginning and then abates very fast – although the family member has no traits which benefit this effect.
    What can I do to pacify Seleukeia once and for all? To recapture this town consistently is enormous weakening my troops on the Seleukid front – and my motivation declines more and more.
    The same occurrence seems to happen now in Ankyra. I don´t know what is going wrong…

Regards Marcel

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Are you saying that a town that was happy and should stay happy, unexplainably gets low public order and riots? If so, that is probably enemies spies inciting discontentment. Train your own spies to counter them.

I have eleminated EVERY enemy spy within a big radius from Seleukeia with my most gleaming assassin. Furthermore, two of my own spies are based at Seleukeia...

In the settlement details scroll, how much is the law bonus? If it's somewhat low, then build a "garrison" and other buildings that give law bonuses. Also, is there a cultural penalty? It might spark unrest from time to time. An effective way to reduce cultural penalty is by building your own govermental palace (or whatever the building that reflects the settlement size is called).
    Last edited by Thaatu; 07-27-2007 at 11:16.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    I have already built all available buildings which give law-bonuses and the town has exceeded ists maximum population- respectively settlement size.
    Thus, I´ve already built the biggest Macedonian governmental palace available. It seems that I have to live with the revolts in this town?!

Regards Marcel

So do the americans.

You could check if lot's of slaves are being imported into this settlement (details, population growth), you could check the distance to capital.

If the former applies, you could try move your FM out of time while the city still is happily abiding your rule. Then the public order will drop, but so will the import of slaves. This means that the city will have less growth hence the population will remain compartatively easy to control.

If the latter is massive, try moving your capital one or two regions towards Seleukeia. That should ease things for a bit.

If both apply, try both. Try to reduce as much foreign cultural buildings as possible as well, it will allow you to place your own and so cultural unrest may drop a few degrees as well. However, it will make you guilty of cultural genocide as well.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I have had no problem keeping Seleukeia under control with 24000 people and an influential family member, with the maximum distance penalty. You may want to recruit Eastern Skirmishers, Akontistai etc. to further improve the number of men in your garrison.

And get rid of the population booming Estates. They reduce law bonus and increase population growth.
    Last edited by d'Arthez; 07-27-2007 at 16:01.

The huge cities have massive population growth. It doesn't take long for an exterminated city to grow to it's old uncontrolable glory.

You could tear down the Villa/Estate that the Seleucids undoubtabley built in the town. They add both unhappiness and population growth. Two bad things for large cities.

Family members do the trick. Look for your most influential genius (lots of unrest reducing traits such as "Extremely Happy People" etc.) and bring him in. I can control giant cities with them plus a very small garrison and still raise taxes, even with 80% distance from capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaatu
    So do the Americans.
    Fortunately for d'Arthez the revolters don't explode.

How about the unrest penalty?How do I get them down for good?

I controlled Carthage for over a century and I still get the -40 unrest in my settlement details...

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_Ghost
    I controlled Carthage for over a century and I still get the -40 unrest in my settlement details...
    I believe this is due to camels. Try demolishing the market.

And start all over again, building the economic buildings from scratch?Uh...never mind. My carthage is already stable and pumping over 5 k money per turn. And the public order is well beyond 120.

Unrest is caused by a few things. First of all, there is always some unrest when you first take a town. The most common source is that there are enemy spies in your town. And sometimes you can just have perminent unrest in a town for no reason what-so-ever. Usually the perminent unexplainable unrest is really low, though. If you have 40% in Carthage for a long period of time, then you probably have enemy super-spies...

That is how things work in EB. As the Romanii, I still havent been messed into the syrian wars, but I have built a large network of spies. Recently while playing EB, I had a diplomat wondering about in Asia Minor. I noticed that the city of Ankyra! which is in AS hands had a 95% population happiness, but there where no characters. Here comes my best spy, he infiltrates the city and happiness drops to about 55%. The next turn the city begins to revolts, the population had enough of AS domination. The next turn the galations join the Avernii. This is a great way to weaken your enemies. To avoid revolts and unrest in your cities bordering other factions always leave a spy and a diplomat there, they will do the trick.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_saves
    Fortunately for d'Arthez the revolters don't explode.
    hmmmmm morbid.