Thread: Things the expansion should fix!

Sucide dayimos, hojo (he's still there historically), magically disappearing heirs. These things would really help because i'd hate the mongel campaign to end early because the a.i. sees fit to send its leader in charge.

[This message has been edited by Seppu (edited 04-14-2001).]

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

suicide daimyos were fixed (as far as i know) with the 1.12 patch.

It still does it on mine even with it updated or is that just hojo going on a rampage?

Hojo usually has plenty of heirs, so if a daimyo gets killed then there's a backup. notice how the last daimyo doesn't go into battle (with the patch) and mostly just sits in his castle.

In all likelihood these will be fixed in the 1.13 patch, which should be out before the expansion is. They've confirmed that they will fix the Horde, at least: probably the heir bug too.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

See what happens; is I haven't even seen one horde commiting sucide. WEIRED! I mean; it was the first time yesterday I had one of my messanger's returning with one of my guys head!

I'm not happy!

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

That's true Soly.... I've noticed that before, but didn't realize that up until now...

But, let me just say... it needs to still be worked on...

example: playing as Imagawa(?) or more(?), I was doing very well, so was Oda, and so were the Hojo.... Then, the Oda daimyo was killed and there was only Nobunaga, no heirs left... Then, what happened is that the Oda never attacked me again. They had twice or thrice the force I had on each border province, but never made any attack... so, what happened was that the Hojo eventually took them out and meanwhile I had been held off by their huge border force... It turned out that the Oda had no men anywhere but against my border... They had been attacking fine up until their daimyo died and was replaced, but then they decided not to do anything...

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

I still want to be able to force bad generals to commit suicide

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Whats wrong with nobunaga he has an honor value of six! He should be fighting not sitting there, i guess you can call this a bug.

right on seppu! if anything is to be changed, let it be multiplayer:
    1) that dodgy CD key thing
    2) the scoring system: losing points after winning? bah. and also wins or losses gained from dropping? double bah.
    3) unit values: not a lot wrong really, i just want monk rushes banished forever
    4) SUPER LAG. this is pretty new to me, but today after i disconnected and restarted the game, i was hit by stupidly large amounts of lag, so much so that even the chat room was in-accesible
    5) DROPPING: what can i say? DAAARGGGGGHHH is pretty appropriate, but somehow the servers have to be improved to handle slightly slower or busy connections.

oh yeah, 6) cheating: just a patch that disables the koku and honour 9 cheats

and that's what's wrong with the world today.
    TIGER LILY!!!
    check it out for yourself at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.surman/frames.html

A doublepost was deleted (ever vigilant, only something like ten hours later ).

Also, the CD-key bug fix and scoring changes aren't even patchable; they're something they must do to the server, as is lag. It doesn't really have much to do with us (except that it bothers us ). The net code could always be better, though.

------------------
    "...when looking towards the future, we can certainly be worried about what may possibly happen, but what we must be fear the most is the impossible, for therein lie the truly vast disasters."
    - Peter Englund
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Tripple BAH!

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

Could someone please tell me what this horde is that i've heard about.Since i'm still new to the campaign side of things i'm curious.

Michael

Takeda: there are lots of posts about the "horde" on the General forum. look around.

The CD-key thing doesn't bother me, mostly since my copy of STW is store bought and I'm the only one who's ever used it. The only people who seem to complain about it usually also post a few threads asking for help with cracked copies. Can any veteran .Org member confirm that they're having probs with their CD-key?

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Yep, I can. I get the cd-key thingy about 2 or 3 times every time I log on. For me it is releated to video drivers. Some of the drivers for NVIDIA cards will never allow me to log on. But for others these drivers may work perfectly. I think it's also releated to the AGP port on my crappy early edition Apollo Pro 133 chipset mobo.

But, as I said, with other drivers I still get the cd-key message 2 or 3 times. Then I always get in without further problems.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

i get it always 3 times, in former patch 2 times btw. but i just thought it was just a security thing.

whet bothers me more is that since some months i noticed shogun and the PCmemory are having problems with each other more often.

even when i used my new pc

example, using alt tab to get to explorer might work but might hang up the game when i want to return.
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Senior Member Senior Member Dark Phoenix's Avatar

It used to affect me but it doesnt anymore. I thought it had something to do with your Ip number remaining from your previous connection.

------------------
    DoragonPhoenix of the Clan Doragon
    DP is correct - Shiro

Sideswipe feature king Member shingenmitch2's Avatar

****** The number one fix should be the Heavy Cavalry and their ability to kill monks. They should slaughter them... this is from a game balance perspective. The monks beat every troop type 1v1. HC at their high cost are not worth it unless they become the Anti-monk. Right now HC are expensive and will lose to 200 koku Yari spearmen or yari cav. That would be fine if they were then the balance to the monks. Right now they merely equal (or are slightly less) than monks in melee and yet cost MORE! Their speed of movement just doesn't make up for these deficiencies.

From a historical perspective, the HC should be the best melee unit as they are the heavily armored samurai elite. I believe it was the Takeda cavalry charge that was considered unstoppable. Nobles went to great expense to be on horses exactly because being mounted gave them a great advantage over most foot soldiers.
    Retreat? Hell, we're just attacking in a different direction...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

while on the subject of monks ... they should change this unit (both in name and icon) to become the standard foot samurai. The monks are the closest thing to how the samurai actually fought.

Historically there were not waves of monks available to the clans, I believe the only monk army being that of the Ikko Ikki. So if they want to continue to have monks in STW they should be a specialty troop type of which only a limited number can be purchased.

-------

Another thought -- Asharigaru after attaining say honor level 4 should "change" into yari samurai as the idea of highly proficient peasant levy troops is almost an oxymoron.

[This message has been edited by shingenmitch2 (edited 04-19-2001).]

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

good ideas Shingenmitch2.

for me the bigest problem is the rout bug.

------------------
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"

[This message has been edited by borisus (edited 04-19-2001).]
    "A WISE MAN ONCE SAID,LETS KICK THAIR ASS!"

yeah, multi-cheats are a real problem -- especially the "routing your opponents troops at a keystroke", "turning morale off only for your troops", or the most creative one I've seen so far--"having some of your troops come on after the multi battle starts, from behind your enemy from off the board!"

I wish that there could at least be a warning indicator that flashed alert when "odd" things were occuring, but I suppose if the computer could notice that, then they could stop the cheats as well...

THE DEADLY SHINGEN

"Besieged" troops coming in as reinforcements one at a time, from behind the attackers, struck me as odd... perhaps a bug that should have been fixed.

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.

yeah that's so true
    i'm beginning to despise monks in multiplayer now and they're so unrealistic, way too strong and far too numerous/available. these are things i'm desperately hoping battlefield ninjas will not turn out to be, or any other unit for that matter.

the units should be slightly closer in abilities, but still have advantages over others and most importantly, disadvantages. changing monks into the real samaurai? i don't think i've heard such a good idea in a long time
    TIGER LILY!!!
    check it out for yourself at: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tom.surman/frames.html

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

It's not that Daimyo are suicidal... they're just too unwise in wading in. I rarely see a Daimyo survive a battle against me. Put a yari in 'Hold' formation and he seems to get tied up. By the time he decides to retreat he's surround, either by his or my troops. Attack Mimisaka or Mutsu early and you'll see a dead daimyo. They just over-commit.

I'd like the AI to have a 'Save Our Lord' option. Sacrifice all his bodyguards and he can successfully disengage or is removed from the batle map.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

They could simply reduce the defence value for monks. I'm guessing those robes they wear don't stop swords too well. That would make them a lot more fragile against bows/guns and they wouldn't last as long when double-teamed.

I'm not sure about the actual numbers here, but what is the monk defense value compared to a no-dachi? Surely the no-dachi should have better defence.

Defense Factor: No-Dachi -2, warrior monks +2. You will find all the unit's stats on this site . Go to strategy/battles/units

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

The theory (supposedly) is that ND use a two-handed sword more suitable for offense than defense. They never really expand upon why ND's ARMOR is less effective against arrows. hehe

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

when the armies clash together they don't mix... thats real unrealstic and confused me when i first got STW. Everyone just holts and line after line just step forward fight, die, step forward, fight, die its really wierd. In real life (i don't care what the formation is) when there are two armies running aas fast as the can straight at eachother, the front lines usually fall and get tangled up quickly but than the following lines break into eachother and it turns into a massive cloud of people mixed together from both armies.

see any midevil war movie like that and its pretty obvious (bravehearts a good one to see)

i was just wonderin if theyre fixing that or not and why it was done like that in the first place

Senior Member Senior Member The Daimyo's Avatar

I do have a tendency to lead my armies like a man with no respect for his wives! Sorry 'bout that. It usually works tho for me...

------------------
    The Daimyo
    Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
    @ http://www.planettotalwar.com

Mixing of troops hmmm -- well that is actually true of samurai armies and Celtic armies, however the "mass mob" did not occur with Epiriot armies (those after Alexander, using phalanx tactics) nor with Roman (and probably Etruscan) armies. So to say that it would always deteriorate into a mob is incorrect--depending upon era & nation.

Braveheart and virtually every Hollywood movie are VERY POOR examples of tacticts. (see every Roman Army movie with slashing sword play where the swords parry each other like fencers---everyone knows that Romans used quick stabbing motions --prefereably aimed at the armpit--- as a short sword requires) If you've based your thinking on tactics from the movies you're in trouble. Just one detail messed up by Braveheart-- the dress of the Scotts is incorrect. The Celtic war paint was NOT used in the times of William of Wallace--who, by the way was a knight who wore a full chainmail armor and Medieval helmet according to his museum in Scotland.

THE DEADLY SHINGEN