Thread: Faust guide anomaly, or oversight?

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Default Faust guide anomaly, or oversight?

I was noticing something during one of my campaigns that I wondered if anyone else noticed. In Brandybarrel's FAUST guide he talks about units that are 'Free City Garrison.' In the guide, pretty much any unit that is a militia unit qualifies as a free city garrison. In other words this unit does not get charged to your faction when it is garrisoned.

But I need to qualify that - the unit must be garrisoned in a city to qualify for the 'no charge'.

From what I've seen in the game there are a few qualifications on getting the freebie garrison unit. First, you only get the 'no charge' on militia garrison units in a city. You DO get charged for them in castles.
    Secondly, you only get the freebie for the first three militia units posted in a city. The fourth unit of militia spearmen, or militia whatever, is charged to your citiy's expenses and you're paying for him.

I going to assume Brandybarrel has already noticed this qualification, and I'm just a Johnny-come-lately. But you definitely do not get an unlimited number of free garrison units.

Anyone have anything to add? Or any remarks to my observation?
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Aged retainer Member Guyus Germanicus's Avatar

Default Re: Faust guide anomaly, or oversight?

oops. moderator, I think I pressed the wrong button. This post was meant for M2TW, not RTW. Are you able to move it?
    "Those who would sacrifice a generation to realize an ideal are the enemies of mankind."
    -- Eric Hoffer

"Everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like His teacher." -- Luke 6:40

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I'm not sure if mods can do it now.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Smooth move there Germanicus.

j/k mate

As far as I can tell your observation is correct. The unit must have the "free_upkeep" modifier (or whatever it is exactly) in the export_descr_units file. Further, in order to get the free upkeep, the village must be capable of building the unit, otherwise it won't get the cost deducted. Lastly, the number of slots for free upkeep depend on how the city/castle level is configured in the export_descr_buildings file. If the unit is being given free upkeep, it will show up as having a blueish background on the city's garrison view.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I