Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Question Pontic Faction Leader Trait

Hello there,

being a great fan of the Pontic faction, I choose them first to play. But I'm afraid, the Leader did not have his "Faction Leader" Trait (either Basileus or something like it). He DID have his "Pontic Royal Family" Trait, and his Heir had both the "Heir" & "Pontic Royal family" Trait.

I wondered why and after having taken a look at the respective database (export_descr_character_traits), I did not find anything that would give it to him. Fixing isn't the problem for me , I just wonder WHY the trait is absent.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

Default Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

If that has something to do with the named character Bhumaka, I get an error message every time I shut the game down. It says Bhumaka is not a faction leader and has no father, so he has no ties to the family tree.
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Help me, you speak of the first Pontic Leader (the one aged 70)? If so, well, I never had that problem. Just that he and all of his successors never had the FL/Basileus trait.

On an older, now deleted install of EB, I ... modded (lol) the file mentioned above to give ALL Pontic leaders their trait. It wasn't that difficult.

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

I just searched the respective file. No, Bhumaka is a character from the "Eleutheroi" Faction, the engine just uses the "Pontus" Sub-faction. What I mean is the "Pontos" Faction ("Carthage" Faction used by the engine).

BTW, I have now a similar ... problem: when exiting EB, there's an error message saying that in line XYZ and column ABC, the trait is / will not be recognized . But nevertheless, my little "modding" ( ) works as designed.

Last, but not least: un grand merci à toute l'equipe d'EB. (A big/great thank to the EB-team)

Edit: Here's a copy/paste of what I did.

Code:
    ;------------------------------------------
    ;Trait: Basileus
    ; o Basileus: <Influence>  2, <Law> 2, <Command> 1, <TroopMorale> 1 , <PersonalSecurity>  3

Trait Basileus
        Characters family
        AntiTraits KleronomosBasileios
        AntiTraits Koiranides
        Level Basileus
            Description Basileus_desc
            EffectsDescription Basileus_effects_desc
            Threshold  1

Effect Influence  2
            Effect Law  2
            Effect Command  1
            Effect TroopMorale  1
            Effect PersonalSecurity  3

Trigger Pontos_is_Basileus
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition IsFactionLeader
             and Trait Basileus < 1
             and FactionType carthage

Affects Basileus  1  Chance  100
        Affects Factionheir  1  Chance  100
        Affects Exheir  1  Chance  100
        Affects Noble  1  Chance  100

Trigger Pontos_Becomes_Basileus
        WhenToTest BecomesFactionLeader

Condition Trait Pontos > 0
             and FactionType carthage

Blue: my humble's adds
    Red: BozosLiveHere wise's adds

EDIT:
    Important Note: after adding the red text, I had CTDs and after removing them not anylonger. Strange ...
    Last edited by Treverer; 07-31-2007 at 01:49.

FYI, if you put a CODE tag around the code it will be nicely displayed in a box, with monospaced font. You get it by clicking the # symbol on the toolbar.

I thought this trigger would do the trick though, it's in the original file. Maybe Pontus has another culture type .

Code:
    Trigger greek_is_Basileus
        WhenToTest CharacterTurnStart

Condition IsFactionLeader
              and Trait Basileus < 1
              and not CultureType barbarian
              and not CultureType nomad
              and not CultureType eastern
              and not CultureType carthaginian
              and not FactionType greek_cities
              and not FactionType seleucid
              and not FactionType slave
              and not FactionType numidia

Affects Factionheir  1  Chance  100
        Affects Exheir  1  Chance  100
        Affects Noble  1  Chance  100

Trigger Becomes_Basileus
        WhenToTest BecomesFactionLeader

Condition Trait Hellenic > 0
              and not FactionType romans_scipii
              and not FactionType greek_cities
              and not FactionType numidia

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thx for your tip.

And a question: What does "FYI" mean?

EDIT: For Your Information

And to answer your question: No, it does not , as there is

Code:
    and not CultureType carthaginian
    which "blocks"/prevents the "Pontic" Faction from getting this trait . As I stated earlier above, the engine code for Pontos is "carthage".
    Last edited by Treverer; 07-30-2007 at 21:00.

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

But "carthage"'s (that is, Pontos') culture is eastern. Anyway, this has already been reported and fixed in the internal build for a few months already.

Edit: You're probably getting an error because you didn't give a unique name for the triggers; try chaging the second one to Trigger Pontic_Becomes_Basileus. You should also add Koiranides to the list of AntiTraits of Basileus.
    Last edited by BozosLiveHere; 07-30-2007 at 21:16.

Beg your pardon, but does this mean that it is incorporated in the hotfix for EB 0.81v2?

No. 0.81aV2 is the public build.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Sorry, but from time to time my passive English has some "Black Holes" ...

FYI: FYI means For your information.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

@ Tellos Athenaios: thx for your kind explanation.

@ BozosLiveHere: thx for your suggestions. I shall implement the changes and there after report.
    Last edited by Treverer; 07-31-2007 at 00:38.

Lightbulb Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

I added your suggestion, BozosLiveHere, and: Gloria! it works.

Though now I have a similar message concerning this line:

Code:
    Trigger no_longer_bored3_postbattle2
        WhenToTest PostBattle

Condition IsGeneral
              and Trait Bored > 0
        Affects Excited  2  Chance  100

;Mod: EBMod526 - 05/19 : new trigger to unset the bored trait
    But I as I tried in a foolish fit to "mod" ( ) the "Faction Heir" Trait in a manner to choose who should become Heir (opposed to the engine-choosed usual way). I undid this "modding" too.

BTW, I simply ask if this is technically possible (I would guess so, as far as I understand the engine). The pros & cons are quite clear, I assume. Has the EB Team ever thought about adding such a way of "freely" / "the player chooses the Heir, not the engine" point? Maybe as an optional add-on for post EB 0.81v2 releases?
    Last edited by Treverer; 07-31-2007 at 00:38.

I don't understand. The faction heir can be freely chosen by the player in the family tree scroll.

================
    ================

Wink Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

Let me explain:

You have the Faction Leader (FL), Faction Heir (FH) and some Family Members (FM) in your family tree. In EB, there's also the ... let's call it "regional trait" for all of your FMs. (E.G. Basileus Pontikos, Kappadocos, Thraicos, Hellen, Asiaticos, etc.)

When the FL dies, the FH is "promoted" FL by the engine (via the "export_desc_char_traits" 'order' to do so). As far as I understand / experience the engine of Rome TW, the FM with the most / biggest "influence" is chosen as NEW FH.

So instead of the new FL's oldest son (or a brother, if the son is minor), the NEW FH could be a Hellen or Kappadocos or ..., because the engine ignores Role-playing a Monarchy. In Republics, this 'problem' is less important, though. EDIT: The propper differentiation is "dynastical / non-dynastical political regimes". (Ok, Ok, it's just myself having studied Political Science )

What I want to say is: I and NOT the engine want to choose who should become FH, at every time and not only via "desinheriting" the actual FH.
    Last edited by Treverer; 07-31-2007 at 00:37.

Oh, you want to control who gets to be faction heir at the point when the old heir becomes the leader. I think that is impossible.

================
    ================

@ Bovi: Really, what about putting ";" before the respective 'script'? That was my idea, but I'm no professional modder ...

BTW, after I added the proposed things of BozosLiveHere (safe that I change "Pontic" into "Pontos", as all the other 'scripts' have "Pontos"), I now have CTDs. Even after deleting the "map.rwm", I have another CTD. Should I put the "Pontic" instead of "Pontos" in the respective places, or what is wrong?

P.S. Sorry BozosLiveHere for misspelling your aka.

EDIT: And no new game starts ...

EDIT: I checked it properly, meaning: changeing ONE variable at a time and then testing it. After undoing the proposols of BozosLiveHere, all went back being fine again. But why ...?
    Last edited by Treverer; 07-31-2007 at 01:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    Let me explain:

You have the Faction Leader (FL), Faction Heir (FH) and some Family Members (FM) in your family tree. In EB, there's also the ... let's call it "regional trait" for all of your FMs. (E.G. Basileus Pontikos, Kappadocos, Thraicos, Hellen, Asiaticos, etc.)

When the FL dies, the FH is "promoted" FL by the engine (via the "export_desc_char_traits" 'order' to do so). As far as I understand / experience the engine of Rome TW, the FM with the most / biggest "influence" is chosen as NEW FH.

So instead of the new FL's oldest son (or a brother, if the son is minor), the NEW FH could be a Hellen or Kappadocos or ..., because the engine ignores Role-playing a Monarchy. In Republics, this 'problem' is less important, though. EDIT: The propper differentiation is "dynastical / non-dynastical political regimes". (Ok, Ok, it's just myself having studied Political Science )

What I want to say is: I and NOT the engine want to choose who should become FH, at every time and not only via "desinheriting" the actual FH.
    That's not how it works. At all. The trait file has (and can't have) no control whatsoever on who gets to be the heir. The trait file only assigns a title to whomever is the current heir.

Angry Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

Quote Originally Posted by BozosLiveHere
    ... The trait file has (and can't have) no control whatsoever on who gets to be the heir. ...
    Hmm, I should pointed out this earlier (=> desr_strat) . Well, I suppose this is one of the famous "hard-coded" affairs. But it is a real pity, as it forces me to inherit someone who should not, IMHO, have become heir - at least when I try to RP a "dynastic political regime".

If you like, you can undo the disinherited trait using the give_trait console command. Anyway, I don't think the disinherited trait has any game effect (they're commented out).

================
    ================

Lightbulb Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

Hey, you are right, as:

Code:
    Trait Exheir
        Characters family
        Hidden
        AntiTraits Factionheir

Level Disinherited
            Description Disinherited_desc
            EffectsDescription Disinherited_effects_desc
            Threshold  1

;        Effect Influence -1
    ;        Effect BribeResistance -2

;Mod153 - 11/02 : added -2 briberesistance
    Hmm, this opens new possibilities ... But how should I 'undo' this "Exheir" trait exactly?

I think you can write "give_trait <general name> Exheir -1", but I might be wrong about it supporting a negative level. You can also create an antitrait and give 1 level of that, that should definitely work. Note that there may be more than the Exheir trait though, I think I saw a couple of faction specific ones too.

================
    ================

You can give negative levels just fine with give_trait, don't worry.

Cool Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

Well, THAT I did not know. I mean giving a trait a NEGATIVE level and negating it that way.

Actually, I don't need it for EB, as EB gives no negative 'attributes' to desinherited Heirs. I simply forgot that fact, as I had be playing / testing along / around with other mods for a while.
    But in the end, I missed something that EB has: the feeling that this mod is MY mod (meaning: other mods are great and nice, with features I find excellent, but the "I_WANNA_PLAY_THAT_GAME" syndrome only comes with EB).

hello I have a question can somebody post where to go and to change or make the script for the pontic leader trait because I am a bit confused where to go in the describe strat in the EB folder because it is underneath the greek headliner.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazar_Dahvos
    hello I have a question can somebody post where to go and to change or make the script for the pontic leader trait because I am a bit confused where to go in the describe strat in the EB folder because it is underneath the greek headliner.
    No problem, as btw you can insert the text I've done (the one in post 4 of this thread) everywhere within the "export_desc_character_trait" file. Insert it simply where YOU will find it back, in case you need it again.

Enjoy playing Pontos, and ... get the "Tindanotae" (spelling ?) as quick as possible.

Yours,
    Treverer
    Last edited by Treverer; 08-08-2007 at 07:11.

so I just copy the 4th post script and paste it anywhere in the describe strat folder where I can find it again. And is it save gave compatable

so I just copy the 4th post script and paste it anywhere in the describe strat folder where I can find it again. And is it save gave compatable
    Yes, do it so, BUT beware: the text marked in red makes it (unfortunately) somewhat buggy. I have absolutely no glue why, as these adds should do no harm. But I am no professional "modder".
    When you exit the game (after having added these "scripts"), you should get a message about some trait no being recognized. Ignore it, it did and does no harm to my games.

Save game compatible: I am not sure, BUT: after having added the script, DO DELETE THE MAP.RWM !!!! Try one savegame hit the "next turn" button, and either it works or it doesn't. Sorry for being able to give more help in this point.

Yours,
    Treverer, great fan of Pontos (& the Tindanotae)
    Last edited by Treverer; 08-08-2007 at 10:37.

the map.rwm in the rtw data/world/maps/base or the EB/data/world/maps/base folder
    Last edited by Khazar_Dahvos; 08-08-2007 at 11:22.

Arrow Re: Pontic Faction Leader Trait

the map.rwm in the rtw data/world/maps/base or the EB/data/world/maps/base folder
    Good question ...
    Go for sure and delete BOTH!

BTW, nice to meet another player of Pontos.

Yours,
    Treverer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast