Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simpson's Movie

Default Simpson's Movie

Anybody see it? Whatcha think?

I enjoyed it!

Amateur Historian (In College) Member Artorius Maximus's Avatar
    Erring, Caledonia Name: Artorius Maximus Ethnicity: Italic-Illyrian

Default Re: Simpson's Movie

I haven't seen the Simpsons movie yet. I like the Telivision show, but from what I have heard on Yahoo.com News, it was subpar, not that great as many anticipated. It is still funny though, I think. ;)

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Julius
    I haven't seen the Simpsons movie yet. I like the Telivision show, but from what I have heard on Yahoo.com News, it was subpar, not that great as many anticipated. It is still funny though, I think. ;)

Hey,

8 starrs out of 8 Stars!! :-)

some parts I thought was funny, not to the point of actually laughing, but enough to cheer me up. funny though..

I thought The Simpsons Movie was pretty darn funny myself and so did my brother, son and nephew. There were so many good lines or funny moments, I had a hard time remembering many afterwards. The opening segment of the movie was classic and it was hard to get the "Spider Pig" song out of my head for a while after the movie. The only downside was that it was short (75 minutes) for a movie, but I have to say I couldn't imagine it being any longer.
    This space intentionally left blank

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Though my theater had technical difficulties - ie stopping in the middle of the movie for 5+ minutes - I thought it was awesome. If yahoo is saying it's subpar they are obviously insane.

Gregoshi, one of my favorite lines came from Kent Brockman, though I won't repeat it here so its not ruined for anyone.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

I liked it because it left the Simpsons on a good note. It was just a like any regular episode only three times longer, instead of some drawn out ending that made it feel definite. This was the end, and it left you feeling good about the experience.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I rate it a solid 1 out of 5. Not funny at all, (other than the bit were Bart's penis briefly showed, that was funny, albeit awkward since there were children watching.)

Edit: Changed my mind, 2 out of 5. It had it's moments (such as the comments by Kent Brockman as CR said.) But overall I was disappointed, probably because I had really high expectations, and it didn't meet them.
    Last edited by naut; 07-30-2007 at 12:20.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Blog Entries

"Thorw the god Dang Bomb"

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    But overall I was disappointed, probably because I had really high expectations, and it didn't meet them.
    I actually had low expectations because 9 out of 10 times, the move from TV show/sketch to movies fails miserably. I'm glad The Simpsons Movie was in the 1 out of 10, at least for me.

I'll homologate what I have read on other reviews wich I think is spot on. The Simpsons have been decaying all along the last years, all this has been said, however, and I won't bore you people with this, you might agree with this statement or not, but the thing is that a fact became notorious on the last seasons: repetitive behavior of all characters. You'll think that the movie wich had been on the plans for the last 18 years, and wich script started to unfold 36 months ago, would bring not only something new, but at least memorable. Sadly that isn't what happens. What happens is a 30 minutes script with old jokes streched to the point of movie duration. The quality of the jokes is mostly subjective, even if I can say that I consider them to be dull and lack any serious intention of making you laugh. But the script structure can be objectibly observed. The script is basically a remixed remake of various Simpsons family members expiriences, in wich pages other important characters are only good for making short cameos (between them: Burns, Apu, etc). Homer screws up again, Marge gets mad with him (again), Liza falls in love (again), Bart is destroyed by the arbitriarity of the story in wich he falls into (an improbable affair of him being sensible and a "compadre" of Ned Flanders)...the only element that, still being rather dull, manages to escape this incredibly unimaginative script of 36 months long, is Maggie, who's story (maybe because the character wasn't explored that much on the seasons) escapes this rigid frame and tries to create something fresh, but that's as far as it goes.

Three things to ponder here, at least from my point of view. One, I think that the producers considered this "that thing that had to be done" only for the sake of doing it, even if it sank even more the already ruined respect of many longtime fans for the series. Two, for being an 18 year long project there's only one word we can use to describe this movie: mediocre, what's incredible is that this notoriously tired and streched script is the product of eleven of the best comedy writers on USA. Three, if you want to make a comedy you've to break some rules, start by breaking your own, if possible, without ruining the already achieved personality of your characters, i.e. try to make Homer more than just a guy who makes jokes with potencial food and don't mix Bart with sentimentalism and the Flanders, that's a big no no, and nobody would believe it to even start laughing.

EDIT: Oh yes, I almost forgot, the observation of Homer at the start of the movie is not subtle at all, and I really think the producers should be ashamed of themselves for what they did...
    Last edited by Soulforged; 08-01-2007 at 04:38.
    Born On The Flames

Blog Entries

Bah, Soulforged, you're much too harsh.

I wonder if the movie lost something being translated into spanish, as I totally disagree with all of your points.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Bah, Soulforged, you're much too harsh.

I wonder if the movie lost something being translated into spanish, as I totally disagree with all of your points.

CR
    I can't really see how anybody can disagree with it being repetitive, it's pretty much evident. If you see this movie as something to remember for its quality and the fun it delivers, then I respect your tastes, but you've to admit that for the time that it took to make it, it wasn't above average. I still consider the special double episode of "Who killed Mr. Burns" to be the real thing it was much more funny than this attempt. If I repeated my old critiques against the Simpsons I would have said much more about it, but I tried to stick to some objective points.

And yes it loses a lot on translations. You've to consider three things. One, few people here like to see subbed movies. Two, the voiceovers for the last seasons and the movie range from dull to irritating. And three, many jokes cannot be translated, the same happens with many references, many linguistic constructs, and so on.
    Born On The Flames

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

ay miho
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Regarding Soulforged's comments, I think The Simpsons Movie producers were in a catch-22 situation. If they stick to the same old formula, they get blasted for being unoriginal. If they try something new they get blasted for going "Hollywood" with the movie. The Simpsons Movie is something that was obvious to be made, but really shouldn't have (though I'm glad they did).

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

this movie really was a failed opportunity....

the writing of Bart´s character is specially disappointing...
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulforged
    And yes it loses a lot on translations. You've to consider three things. One, few people here like to see subbed movies. Two, the voiceovers for the last seasons and the movie range from dull to irritating. And three, many jokes cannot be translated, the same happens with many references, many linguistic constructs, and so on.
    Am I glad that over here we have the english voices!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    Regarding Soulforged's comments, I think The Simpsons Movie producers were in a catch-22 situation. If they stick to the same old formula, they get blasted for being unoriginal. If they try something new they get blasted for going "Hollywood" with the movie. The Simpsons Movie is something that was obvious to be made, but really shouldn't have (though I'm glad they did).
    That could be truth also Greg, but I was refering to something more specific. If you're going to launch "the event of the year" try to do something memorable. If you want to repeat yourself try to do it in such a way that everything gets a piece just for nostalgic sense. If you want to be original try to show something not yet seen (duh).

Best movie possible or not, this is far below in my top 300 Simpsons episodes.
    Born On The Flames

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie; I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10. My friends and I howled with laughter through most of the film.

Yes, it was little more than a regular episode writ large, but that's perfectly okay with me. That's pretty much what I was expecting anyway.

My favorite line is probably this one:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    When President Schwarzenegger says, "If I want to see that many eyes and teeth, I would go to a Kennedy family reunion."

Classic!
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulforged
    I can't really see how anybody can disagree with it being repetitive, it's pretty much evident. If you see this movie as something to remember for its quality and the fun it delivers, then I respect your tastes, but you've to admit that for the time that it took to make it, it wasn't above average. I still consider the special double episode of "Who killed Mr. Burns" to be the real thing it was much more funny than this attempt. If I repeated my old critiques against the Simpsons I would have said much more about it, but I tried to stick to some objective points.

The thing is, you seem to be considering the fact that the characters did not drastically change from the TV show to be repetitive - and I ask how could they make the characters different and still be the simpsons? And then you blast the path bart takes because it's new. His character's progression seemed natural to me.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Well said CR.

When we look back and see all the crap we put in this thread in two day's time, I can say "I helped".

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    The thing is, you seem to be considering the fact that the characters did not drastically change from the TV show to be repetitive - and I ask how could they make the characters different and still be the simpsons? And then you blast the path bart takes because it's new. His character's progression seemed natural to me.
    My point is not about the characters in themselves, I'm talking about the plot and how it individually affects every Simpson and also about the lameness of the script. The characters don't need to change at all, what they did with Bart was a travesty, synptom of a tired series that didn't know how to create something new. If you thought I was saying that Bart's path was wrong because it's new then read again, I think it's wrong because it represents everything that Bart isn't. One of the chapters in the last season has Bart stripped down of any joy by showing a dull process of awareness with his maturity, Bart the naughty boy has nothing to do with that and therefore I was asking myself when I was supposed to laugh during that chapter...

Anyway CR, no need to discuss this, it's comedy after all, you like, I don't. At least this will teach me to not go into a theater just because what is being played has been greatly announced... And perhaps Homer did teach us something with his introductory sentence
    Born On The Flames

LOL Soulforged you sound so much like the comic book guy its unreal

I've not seen it yet myself although I certainly would never even consider judging it the way some people here are. Seriously, its The Simpsons movie not a Shakespeare play. Even thinking in depth about the plot and how it affects the characters and the characters progression is a sin. You're supposed to watch it and like it or dislike it. As soon as you examine it you've missed the point, IMO.

P.S. Is this movie the end of the Simpsons or are they going to continue making more episodes?

Meh, it was alright. Funny, made me laugh. Glad I saw it.

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

I took my nine year old to it this week and we both loved it, laughing all the way through. We even stayed to the bitter end of the credits hoping for a little more, which we got. It is like a long episode, but it remained true to the TV series. It combined the anarchy with a little sentimentality as well as the well observed irony and satire. The only down side - my boy hasn't stopped singing Spider Pig ever since... he is driving us mad!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Dynamite
    I've not seen it yet myself although I certainly would never even consider judging it the way some people here are. Seriously, its The Simpsons movie not a Shakespeare play. Even thinking in depth about the plot and how it affects the characters and the characters progression is a sin. You're supposed to watch it and like it or dislike it. As soon as you examine it you've missed the point, IMO.
    I already said that in my previous post. I could have just asnwered this way if you want it: It was lame...

P.S. Is this movie the end of the Simpsons or are they going to continue making more episodes?
    According to the producers it's continuing up to 2008, hopefully.
    Born On The Flames

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Dynamite
    LOL Soulforged you sound so much like the comic book guy its unreal
    Worst. Movie. Ever.

Disclaimer - have not yet seen the movie, so I have no opinion.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Blog Entries

Spider Pig,Spider Pig, Does Whatever A Spider Pig does!!!!!!!!

I was kind of forced into seeing it, but ended up actually enjoying the flick.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I don't want to see the movie, since I don't like The Simpsons.

Please don't him me, I'm Giordano!--- Classic Argentinian Joke

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I really enjoyed when the Simpsons go down the sink-hole.
    "Well, it's China's problem now."
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast