Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mongol Hunters Unite!!

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

Default Mongol Hunters Unite!!

ok, we all hate the Mongols right?

they sneak up on you out of the east, always arriving at the worst time just when you're trying to finish off the Turks, they take your hard-won cities, beat up on your favourite generals and execute all your best troops....and then they have the temerity, just when you think you've gotten rid of them, to turn up again....WITH ELEPHANTS!

also I have a sneaking suspicion they brought the black death with them..too much of a co-incidence

we've had a spate of threads recently talking about how to fight them, so we don't need another....what I want is to GLORY together in their unseemly demise

post your pics of Mongol-humiliation. I want to see them getting shot up, impaled on lances, set on fire and chopped in half. I want to see Mongol blood all over this screen. Give me their pain!

Show me how you opened up a fresh can of whoopass on them and sent them crawling back to the shabby hole they first skulked out of.

To get things rolling, here's a pic of a bunch of timurids getting mashed up by their own elephants as they try to escape a fort I trapped them in:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

happy hunting brothers
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

Default Re: Mongol Hunters Unite!!

Phonics, why do you use both catapults and trebuchets? What doe catapults offer that trebuchets do not?
    Hebban olla uogala nestas bigunnan hinase hic enda thu

no reason, I just couldn't train enough trebuchets nearby, so I had to fill in the gaps with catapults

Ha! Death to the Mongol Horde!

Here is a few bashings I gave the mongols. Byzantine 1.2 vanilla Vh/Vh. Mongols have been monitored by my spy network from Sarkel, took Kiev from Hungary and settled. So I sent a diplomat over to demand florins, and they came right at me! All these battles were open-field NE of Bran/Bucharest.

Hell freezes over for Subutai the Wrathful:

Khanzada Orda is engulfed by the Byzantine storm:

Run, Ogadai,run!

On a related note to your fort bombing phonicsmonkey, how do you stop the horde spilling from the fort halfway through an elephant roast? I have taken to using 8 treb/cat mix then a 4/4/3 balance of byz guard archer/varangs/vards+ general to deal with any breakers. I'm going to post a big timurid meltdown at some point, but here is a taster:

nice work grog

well, in 1.1 it was much easier as they tended to sit in the fort waiting for the fiery death

in 1.2 as you correctly note they attempt a breakout more often than not, which is more testing

I have a pocket of pavise xbows waiting for them to mince them up as they leave, and some hospitallers to charge in and keep them boxed up

then it all hinges on dropping a few flaming rocks on their heads and getting the elephants to run amok while they're all bunched up....

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

The last moments of the once mighty Horde.

After hundred years of heavy battles, the Horde is gone. May they never come back!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Sorry for the hijack, but I noticed in one of those screens there are little trading ships on the campaign map. I've not seen them or the little trade carts so far in M2TW. Is there a way to turn them on/off?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Memento mori... Member Nikos_Rouvelas's Avatar

I don't know. Ive always seen them.
    "Once out of nature I shall never take
    My bodily form from any natural thing,
    But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
    Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
    To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
    Or set upon a golden bough to sing"
    "Sailing to Byzantium" William Butler Yeats

nice one Dux, like rats in a trap

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

I actually won a missile duel with the Mongols:

I put my 6 units of Pavise CB in loose formation in front of my infantry line. Fortunately I was able to take a crest of a dune before they reached it.

The result:

They had to redeploy to face my reinforcements.

I took advantage of that:

Isolate and destroy the Khan:

Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Ok I know it's poor form to bump my own thread, but I'm having so much fun slaying Mongols in Crusades I just had to share it with you

Run away! Run away!

Grog, you are soooo mean to the Mongols. You did not let them have even one city or fortress? How are they ever going fight hard with out a homeland? We need a patch to make the Hordes stronger. Firing flaming projectiles at pachyderms should be outlawed, or do we want PETA shutting down CA?

Quote Originally Posted by phonicsmonkey
    Ok I know it's poor form to bump my own thread, but I'm having so much fun slaying Mongols in Crusades I just had to share it with you

Run away! Run away!

That's right! Give them hell!

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

LOL! That's a good one ! I like the army !
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Byzantine cavalry are so much better when you upgrade their armour...

I have a few stacks like that running about, and two infantry stacks with artillery for taking cities

Where's your head at? Member Galain_Ironhide's Avatar

Woohoo! I just toasted the Mongol Kahn with the help of some flaming catapault missiles.

I decided to go back to my completed English campaign for the night and try and get to the New World, instead I'm toasting Mongols and hunting down Timurids. Just as much fun really.

It was damn nice of him & his army to stay still like that while I peppered them mercilessly.

All I got to do now is learn to take screen shots.....
    - 'Let's finish the game.' - Josiah Gordon "Doc" Scurlock

Read my AAR - BC Kingdom of Jerusalem - For Faith or Greed

Quote Originally Posted by Old Geezer
    Grog, you are soooo mean to the Mongols. You did not let them have even one city or fortress? How are they ever going fight hard with out a homeland? We need a patch to make the Hordes stronger. Firing flaming projectiles at pachyderms should be outlawed, or do we want PETA shutting down CA?
    Can't have them getting in the way of my pilgrim autobahn to outremer, and attacking the papal states capital, can we now? Plus, I prefer to charge the horde head on and butcher them in the east , rather than let them settle/split and dilute their armies with weak mercs.

This is what remains of all 3 waves, open field battles using HRE infantry based armies. (general, 6-7 pavise, 2-3 siege, 4 spears, rest DFK) ) Who needs wimpy stakes when you have loose pavise and schiltroms, backed by DFK 'tide of death'.

Btw, note how always releasing prisoners creates a weak 'cloud' army around the horde, a good nightfighter can attack direct and cause untold damage, while only facing 1 strong stack + multiple weak reinforcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Grog
    Btw, note how always releasing prisoners creates a weak 'cloud' army around the horde, a good nightfighter can attack direct and cause untold damage, while only facing 1 strong stack + multiple weak reinforcements.
    Cunning Grog, I like it - if I can restrain my bloodlust I might just start doing that

OK, so I mentioned earlier that I incinerated the Mongol Khan in a stand still catapault inferno.

Well, now in a successful seige of Alexandria, I have successfully incinerated his son as well!

This time I have figured out how to capture photo's:

I call this, City Woks Revenge. (refer South Park Episode)

By galain_ironhide at 2007-12-14

Anybody feel like Mongolian for dinner? muwahahahahahaha!

well done

I know this has been answered someplace before, but how many timurid/mongol waves are there, and when do the last appear?

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anders
    I know this has been answered someplace before, but how many timurid/mongol waves are there, and when do the last appear?
    3 each
    Tosa Inu

Seems like the total number of full stacks is about 12 for each. Is that right? The first wave seems to have about 6 stacks which usually mill around for a few decades.

The Mongols and I have an understanding in our rules of engagement - take no prisoners.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Each wave has 3 to 5 stacks. I have never seen 6 stacks. After destroy the first wave you get a message faction destroyed. Don't be fooled, they will reappear some 10 to 20 turns later.

Happy hunting!
    Tosa Inu

thank you!

just have to say, for me the mongols are the highlight of the game, much more fun to withstand the eastern scourge that laid the middle east and eastern europe in ruins, the premier fighting force of their time, than to conquer the poor indians with their stone age weapons

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

While the Mongols do come in multiple waves the Timurids actually arrive all at once, within a turn or two of each other.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

For me, facing the Mongols and Timurids is defintely the most fun part of the game. They're not really a premier fighting force in the scope of the game, as is amply demonstrated through the course of this and many other threads, and narrated experiences.

For the purposes of this game there aren't really any premier armies that would make you worry (specially in unmodded vanilla 1.2, or 1.3).
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Thread revival......

This is a battle that took place between me (Turks) and the Mongols at the bridge just north of Mosul.

The 3rd Mongol wave arrived just below Baghdad, which they walked straight past, plus also walked straight on by Mosul and then turned north and headed for Yerevan. As the remaining 3 out of 4 stacks got over the bridge, one of my stacks, who were in pursuit, controlled by a inexperienced 1 star General, finished their movement points directly on the bridge (convenient I know ). I finished my turn with this stack still 2 tiles behind the rear two Mongol stacks. When it came to their turn, these 2 Mongol stacks actually turned around and attacked my stack.

I knew the Mongols were going to take heavy casualties because I was defending a bridge, but I still thought that my stack was ultimately doomed. But when the battlemap loaded up and I saw the land formation, I couldnt help but rub my hands together!

This is how the battle panned out.

As you can see here because the Mongols attacked me, I have a huge strategic ground advantage from the ridges on either side of the bridge.

The Battle Begins:

The first stack cross the bridge under heavy fire. They already taking huge casualties.
    View from the bridge mouth

View from the left ridge (probably my favorite shot)

View from the right ridge. Already they are starting to rout.

Now the battle is in full swing and the Mongols are getting thrashed.

The 2nd stack has joined the action.

Run Away!!

We're Trapped!!

Fireflies of the night

The piles of dead

And finally.... Victory!!

Although it was a white wash, I thoroughly enjoyed sitting the camera up on the ridges and watching my archers just cover the enemy in arrows. Probably one of my most memorable in my time playing M2TW.

There was nothing better than seeing those 3silver chevron units running for their lives and me not taking too much damage at all.

I hope you enjoyed seeing Mongols die! I know I did.

Come on Mongol Hunters, lets see some more death! I should think there would be some great pics from Broken Crescent, (I know I cant wait to play it)

Apologies for some of these shots being low quality, I did a bulk upload on photobucket only to find that the quality suffers. But hopefully you got the drift.
    Last edited by Galain_Ironhide; 02-03-2008 at 14:55.

nice one ironhide, some really good shots there (i agree, that shot with the archers on the left ridge was awesome)

keep up killing those raiding horse-lovers!
    Brothers in Arms- A Legionaries AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...86#post1853386

when I get to the Mongols in BC I promise I will come back here and show you some carnage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast