Thread: The little BIG question.

Default The little BIG question.

Hey guys Im not new to EB but I did recently take a break from it and after I come back to the site and download the newest version I see something that has had me scratching my head for some time now and I just need some questions answered.

What I am talking about is the "Provincial Capmpaign" that is located at the bottom of the list in the Single Player section of the game. I was curious to see what this was and so opened it up but there is nothing there. Just a picture and a couple of boxes at the bottom where it seems text should be. What is this? Should there be something else there? Did I download incorrectly? Or is it a malfunction caused by the developers? Im confused.

Also I was wondering about the Historical Battles. Are these supposed to be playable or are they rightfully not working?

And thanks.

Default Re: The little BIG question.

EB is meant for the RTW executable, not the BI one. If you want to use BI (many say campaign AI is better with it), you should probably follow the unofficial guide to how, it's in the first page of posts.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

There is also a user-made patch if you don't want to go through all the steps and do them manually, especially if you're not familiar with changing files and so on. It's around here somewhere but I didn't see it just now, taking a quick look. I'm sure you'll find it if you put your head to it though.

Who ever said Im using EB? I am running the mod off of the original Rome game and have not made any mistakes in downloading it. You did not, however, answer my question about what the hell this "Provincial Campaign" is.

I have no idea why you guys would post those kinds of replies because they just seem wierd and out of place, maybe you are lost.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

The provincial campaign is an option that allows for a second campaign using the same data but different map setup. I don't believe it works correctly for EB, just ignore it. (Provincial Campaigns can be made to work to run BI, that is why you got those responses.)

Some historical battles should work, I think one or two are in the current version. But if the vanilla battles still show up (do they, I've never even clicked historic battles?) ignore the vanilla ones. There should be plenty of historic battles added in the future.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 08-01-2007 at 07:56.

If you're not using EB, this is the wrong place to post. If you are not using BI, you will not have the option of the provincial campaign.

The provincial campaign is BI's way of supporting multiple maps/starting positions.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

An advice to iceman, you can ask for clarification without being dickish.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman7291
    Who ever said Im using EB? I am running the mod off of the original Rome game and have not made any mistakes in downloading it. You did not, however, answer my question about what the hell this "Provincial Campaign" is.

I have no idea why you guys would post those kinds of replies because they just seem wierd and out of place, maybe you are lost.
    That was unnecessarily hostile, iceman. They are trying to help you. That it didn't is not a reason to get tetchy. So don't.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

I think the Provincial campaign is a 1.5 thingy, not a BI one. I haven't got BI but a pre-patched 1.5 RTW version, which also shows the provincial thing.

Oh, that's odd. I started up BI just to check, and I don't seem to have the provincial campaign option there either... But in my FATW installation there is. I guess I don't know jack about it after all .

================
    ================

AFAIK:

The Provinicial campaign is a way of using one base map to generate multiple campaigns, using a different descr_strat etc.

My guess is the engine detects a provinicial campaign 'possibility' by noticing that there are multiple folders located in the campaign folder. Like in:

Code:
    world
      |
      -----> maps
              |
              -----> base
              |
              -----> campaign
                        |
                        ------> base
                        |
                        ------> imperial_campaign
    Now, here's the trick: ignore the whole Provincial Campaign thing - it doesn't do anything in EB. However, should you start installing mini-mods on top of your build, be aware of the fact that both base folders are used to spawn map.rwm files in.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 08-01-2007 at 12:40.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

CA has said that the Provincial Campaign was something they had planned but never implemented...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin