Thread: Ye Olde game

Reclusive Academic Member General-Winter's Avatar

Default Ye Olde game

CASTLES!

http://www.amigagames.com/gage/c/castles.html

I remember playing this when I was but a wee lad. The graphics arn't much but it's a fun way to pass the time, making up castle designs and things, plus the story mode is kinda fun.

Of course it isn't much nowadays, graphically and replayability, considering it was out in 1992, but for me personally it held some old memories and something fun for the laptop.
    "Young knight learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows.
    Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars.
    Wrestle well and wield lance, spear, sword and dagger manfully; whose use in others’ hands is wasted."

-Master Johannes Liechtenauer

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Re: Ye Olde game

I could not agree more. It is one of my favorite games of all time. I even wrote my first Gahzette piece about it (see the Issue 1 link in my sig).

Haaaaaa! *chokes with excitement*
    Ahem. How 'bout Castles 2 ?! We had at least two decent threads on it, IIRC - always loved it, keep playing it occasionally. It's got so many good things going for it, it's hard to count them all:
    - you have the really good AI - it can be tough at higher levels, and it's not all due to AI cheating (i.e., getting more resources than you)
    - the graphics are cool - I love the battles! Sure, sure, the little guys are squares with rough edges, but hey, they're really cute in their Lego-ness! And they look really cool chugging along and shooting arrows and stuff, especially sieges are lots of fun, I never get bored of watching them during sieges!
    - you have soooo many special events, and they're so varied! I still don't know how many there are, but there's sure a lot of them. And I like that some of them really don't matter, some of them have a minor impact, and some of them can really make a difference - and there's no way of telling which kind any of them are...
    - you have the obnoxious Pope! *laughs* - I wonder if CA got their idea of making the Pope a nuisance from Castles...
    - laugh at me if you will, but I actually enjoy the music!

All right, I'll stop here for now, even though there's more cool stuff to be said about it...
    Therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper.

classic game, real fond memorys playing it.

I never had an Amiga, but it sounds interesting. As does the info on Castles II. Any idea how to get that in Germany(I tried e-bay, to no success so far)?