Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite unit.

Default Favorite unit.

I like a lot the hoplites units in the game they are cheap fast and with the guard mode u see their true power. By the way do you know any usefull tactics on use them more efficiently??

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite unit.

From what I can tell the hoplites' power lies in staying power, holding the line, but it will take a lot of time for them to kill off the unit they're fighting so try to flank with some sword equipped units, even peltastai work well enough.

Wich units do you favor? And why?

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

I like the Celtic heavies especially the Casse guys. Calawre, Milnaht and the Goidilic heavies are also top notch. I really like the power they have plowing through a flank and the woad. I like woad. The Rycalawre are also a really powerful and also very very good looking. I'm hoping that the dynamic Celtic reforms get implemented because it's quite hard to get to 120 BC without achieving your VCs and/or losing interest.

Also the noble types of Armored Horse Archers from the steppe. Maneuverability, deadly with a bow, and then powerful charge. What's not to like?
    Last edited by Redmeth; 07-24-2007 at 14:31.

I also like the tracian peltast they i think they are one of the best skirmisers in the game they are ideal for supporting phalnax and hoplites.

Dorkim Afrikanim Aloophim-Elite African Infantry

They never rout and their casulty rates are almost none , no matter what they are fighting.Once i hold 2 units of Galaktikoi Kleruchoi with one of them and had total of 5 casualties in the end on huge size unit.

Questor of AI revenue. Member The Errant's Avatar

Chaeonian Agema.

Easily the best looking phalangite in the game. And they're good with their swords too.

"If you listen, carefully. You can hear the Gods laughing."

Last words of Emperor Commodus. From "The Fall of the Roman Empire".

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

I like the Dehbed Asavara a lot. They are a true jack-of-all-trades; There is no enemy heavy enough to not charge, they are superb against horse archers, they have their use a reliable general purpose utility unit; Excellent archery while they fare well enough in melee. A Parthian staple unit. Versatility is my melody.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

I have 4:

Thraikioi Rhompaiaphoroi - probably the best shock infantry the game

Thraikioi Prodromoi - highly effective at chasing down skirmishing or routing units, decent charge, awsome skin, and not too expensive

Thraikioi Peltastai - excellent skirmishers that are also good in melee

A certain archer unit which you haven't seen yet - as well protected as the Cretans and Syrians but with range and power almost equalling the various steppe archers

Visit the EB Help Required Thread

"His only addiction was to practice." - John Coltrane, describing Eric Dolphy

"and thus it cannot be performed, because one cannot perform that which does not exist." - Arnold Schönberg

Pahlava Shivatir. Swift, reliable, rarely miss the mark, and on top of it: they bite back in melee.

Peltastai: reliable, 'long range javelins', mobile, good melee fighters - *will rout most cavalry*

Pantodapoi. Who cares for an Anti Missile Shield if He has Pantodapoi? And they don't complain either.

Hippakontistai: reliable jav-cav with added punch for melee, no enemy likes his belly being torn apart by those blades. No enemy likes his belly been torn to shreads anyway, but never mind.

Epilektoi Hoplitai - especialy those that aren't public yet. If you like Hoplites, than you'll love the Epilektoi. What more's there to be said?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoplites' main strengths are defeating cavalry, holding the line and fighting on top of walls. The main reason is their equipment + morale. Hence you'd best deploy them as your reserves, much like the Diadochi Pheraspidai. Relying on local auxilliaries to take the first blows, and then moving your hoplites in for the kill should work fairly well. (Playing as the Aedui I found that lots of factional troops + 1 unit of gaesatae + 2 units of Massalitotai Hoplitai + some balearic slingers did work wonders against the Carthiginian hordes I eventually faced.)
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by tk-421
    A certain archer unit which you haven't seen yet - as well protected as the Cretans and Syrians but with range and power almost equalling the various steppe archers
    And to think of the skin that was made for them! ...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

I'm very tempted to say my favorite unit is the Spartiatai Hoplitai but now I have to say that it is the Epilektai Hoplitai, I don't know why, I just like them, they can hold a line just as good as Spartans.
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Galatian Kluddolon.
    They *rock*
    Incredibly high morale, low cost, decent attack, cheap, hireable, useable, large units, flankage, great for an Armenian mobile Alexander.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Scythed chariots, of course.

komatai Agrianai, Excellent bowmen in my experience and fantastic hand to hand fighters
    Drink Tea

Currently Reading: Nikolai Gogol's dead souls

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

Epilektai Hoplitai rock hardcore, they broke the left side of my phalanx from the front. Even with their shorter spears then their macedonian brethren, they pack one hell of a punch, Of course after they routed a unit of Phalangitai I checked, and slaughtered them all down to the last man

But they are one hell of a unit, I've got to give them that.

My fav unit just for this

Qarthadast's Elite African Infantry, because they look great and put up a decent fight

I'm liking the Samnite Hvy mercs at the moment.

They're a great counter to the Gaesatae.
    '.....I should like to see the last king strangled with the guts of the last priest.'

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Certain units that I will not tell you about
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

For the sheer looks, I like the Elite African Pikemen. For usefulness I'd say the Bakterian Horse Archers.

Hetairoi, Chaeonion Agema, Aedui Solduros, looking forward to the new Epilektoi Hoplitai

my balloons

A new one of these with lots lots lots more of our units is in the works, but since it's 'favorite unit' thread time, I thought I'd post the one from back in March:

Unit Parade!!!

You guys have way to much free time

You should see all the captions/EB slogans we have for it. Tons!

In my Aedui campaign I've fallen in love with Gaesatae, though we remain "just friends". I don't use many of them, but the ones I use are really heroic.

This is the one question I just can't answer.... I mean... its just too many of them!!!!

p.s but back when I played vanilla my favorite was the Armored Hoplites.

lol at the units that aren't in now that I've noticed .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

I like the Balearic slingers. Simple and effective.

I think the best units in the game are those that are cheap and give a lot more than they cost like casse short swordsmen. THey are ideal for massive tactics and theirs lack of statics is overcomed by their cheap cost.Just flood the enemy with them

I got to admit though I do like Neitos . Nothing more satisfying than disciplined "barbarians" cutting down "civilized" people .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast