Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russia lays claim to the North Pole

Thumbs down Russia lays claim to the North Pole

For the most part it seems old news that Putin and his KGB is intent on expanding Russia's sphere of influence and control, but proclaiming the Northpole is theirs seems a stretch. Still, as I understand it, all they need do is to prove "their" continental shelve is extended by some underground ridge - then they can begin drilling for all the oil (etc) there.

http://www.time.com/time/world/artic...sletter-weekly
    [are a buncha articles and opinions on this - just put "Russia claims North Pole" in a search]

To demonstrate my ignorance on this subject - I always assumed that the Arctic was considered unclaimable, like the moon. Or, since we (USA) planted our flag there can we now claim it? Maybe make it a new property or protectorate- with the intent of giving it statehood in the future (soon as we can convince 100 people to live there - like Wyoming or N. Dakota or Alaska) - we'll change the name of course to New Reagone or something though, maybe Lunarois (Lunarchussetts?).

My first reactions to the story were of minor shock, then disgust, and finally anger. Oh, well - greed do rule the day. What Putin does barely surprises me any more - but, this one I thought had gone away back in 2001. Guess again.

Oh, the Russians are claiming rights in the Bering Strates as well - who would a guessed? Next, they'll want us to give back the "ice box" - Alaska (wonder if they'ld be willing to take Senator Stevens instead?).

The entire land grab is simply about oil - am truelly shocked we didn't lay claim first. Exxon-Mobile (etc) are sitting on their arse, imo.
    To forgive bad deeds is Christian; to reward them is Republican. 'MC' Rove
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    ]Clowns to the right of me, Jokers to the left ... here I am - stuck in the middle with you.

Save the Whales. Collect the whole set of them.

Better to have your enemys in the tent pissin' out, than have them outside the tent pissin' in. LBJ

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Russia lays claim to the North Pole

We Danes have our eyes on the North Pole too http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3716178.stm.

From Wiki

Under international law, no country owns the North Pole or the region of the Arctic Ocean surrounding it yet. The five surrounding Arctic states, Russia, the United States, Canada, Norway and Denmark (via Greenland), are limited to a 320 kilometre (200-mile) economic zone around their coasts.

Upon ratification of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, a country has a ten year period to make claims to extend its 200 mile zone.[23] Due to this Norway (ratified the convention in 1996[24]), Russia (ratified in 1997[24]), Canada (ratified in 2003[24]) and Denmark (ratified in 2004[24]) launched projects to base claims, that certain Arctic sectors should belong to their territories.

CBR

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Is Santa going to a Gulag?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

If Russia gets the North Pole, Santa will become a communist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

He's already red.

"Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Well he is already red....

Trying to claim the north pole is crap though. It's not actually land just an ice flow. And las I checked a nation could only claim 300 KM form the shore as "coastal waters."
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    It's not actually land just an ice flow.
    Maybe not for much longer.

Just great. The situation can only go south from here.
    This space intentionally left blank

The Brooding Emperor Member Valdincan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    If Russia gets the North Pole, Santa will become a communist.
    Hes already red and hands out free stuff.

Its not really a big deal even if Russia successfully claims it, the only thing they gain is drinking water, which is a (or soon will be) a valuable commodity.
    Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, King of Rome, Pope's bane, Destroyer of civilizations.

"Words are a greater weapons then swords."

Blog Entries

Well, they can have it. On the Condition that the West/NATO spheres of influence can proclaim Antarctica, The Moon, and Mars as their sovereign Territory. Oh and maybe that one Icy Moon of Jupiter.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

There is already claimants to Antarctica... Australia being one of the major ones, along with NZ and Chile by memory...
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, Antarctica actually has a landmass. The Arctic is just a giant block of ice. Ice can melt(and probably will melt sometime soon) and thus is not a permanent landmass. Its basically like claiming a piece of water in the middle of the Pacific just because there's oil there. Its the same basic substance: H2O.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

This should be good news...
    More oil to the world oil reserves ensures the american way of living another decade or so (added to the limit already proposed ).
    As long as oil is traded in US dollars, at least that nation should not complain.

North Pole eh? Not too far from Spitsbergen where our coal mines are. I bet we could lay claim to that area as well.

Everyone knows that the South Pole is Norwegian... We planted the first flag there and a great area there is still called Queen Mauds land if I am not mistaken.
    Status Emeritus

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I've studied international law last year (not as a major mind you) and sea law was part of this course. I can confirm that CBR is right. I have a map of the North Pole as it is divided at the moment between Canada, Russia, USA, Norway and Denmark.

Why would anybody want to claim the North Pole, well you've guessed it because of the oil. At the moment those zones are worth nothing but when easier reachable oil reservoirs get depleted it will become economical viable to drill for oil there.

I also have a fun fact about Antartica. Did you know that Belgium has a small claim at Antartica although the country is entirely situated on the northern hemisphere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Gah, you Norwegians only have parts of the South Pole. And isn't it claimed by Argentinia after they got kicked of the Falklands? (You need to have some sort of colony, don't ya?)

As for the Northpole, you may want to drill for oil there, but they'll never get it done ... unless they are going to shoot at the enviromentalists and scientists.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Maybe a very stupid question, but isn't the northpole just a big piece of ice? Oil?

And I thought it was of the Danish

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I found an entry in Wikipedia about the claim of the Artic here.

About the Claimants of Antartica:

It seems there could be a three way war between Argentina, Chile and UK for their claims on the same area. Germany lost their claim in 1945 and Queen Mauds Land is therefore ours.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 08-02-2007 at 09:58.
    Status Emeritus

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

IT'S MINE, ALL MINE! MUAHAHAHAH!

Crazy, crazy man. Dragging Russia back to good old Soviet times and now making outlandish claims on the North Pole. What next, a new cold war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

It's a load of polonium.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Everyone knows that the South Pole is Norwegian... We planted the first flag there
    You cheated

IIRC claims to to Antarctica are in abeyance under the Antarctic treaty. No one has abandonded their claims, just agreed not to pursue them for a period.

Also I am sure there are more claimants than that. Doesn't the US have a claim? (And, on the basis of effective occupation, not a derisory one either)
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

You brits shouldn't have used pony's, now that was pure brilliance

I think the Org should claim the South Pole. We could ally with the Octosquids and they would protect us from invasions.

I'm lately turning nationalistic in the Org sense.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

No one is getting anything. This territory is a location of a future U.S. missle defense site.

An air craft carrier must be dispatched immediately....
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    What we really should have done, after Terra Nova discovered Amundsen camped in the bay of whales, was land and kill the lot. Who would have known?

That's what Putin would do.
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

"It's like putting a flag on the moon"

What could the Russians be trying to make up for?

@ Sigurd's post about the claims to Antartica: The Argies are always trying to lay claim to our territory!
    Last edited by Lorenzo_H; 08-02-2007 at 13:59.
    I support Israel

" Hammer of the East" Member King Kurt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    What we should have done is sent Shackleton not Scott - the real explorer instead of the enthusiastic amateur.
    "Some people say MTW is a matter of life or death - but you have to realise it is more important than that"
    With apologies to Bill Shankly

My first balloon - for "On this day in History"

Quote Originally Posted by King Kurt
    What we should have done is sent Shackleton not Scott - the real explorer instead of the enthusiastic amateur.
    I bow to no one in my admiration for Shackleton, but he had his shot in 1908.

And of course if he had wanted to be the first at the pole, and kill his party on the way back, he could have done it then. Turning back 97 miles from the pole and getting everyone back alive, that's what I call leadership As he remarked afterwards, he thought his wife would prefer a live donkey to a dead lion.

I like a tragic hero as much as anyone, but I'd just as soon not be in an antarctic expedition with one, thanks.
    Last edited by English assassin; 08-02-2007 at 14:50.

Or just stay home, forgot the exact line but a dutch writer wrote;

To step on land where no man has stepped on before, fine, but snow? Snow where no man has stepped on before I can explore each year in my own backyard

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    It seems there could be a three way war between Argentina, Chile and UK for their claims on the same area. Germany lost their claim in 1945 and Queen Mauds Land is therefore ours.
    UK doesn't claim it, the Southpole is divided between UK and Norway (for both exploring it), Australia and New Zeeland (for being close to it) and France (for thinking they should have a share in it anyway)

Well, the ice in my freezer is mine, so don't any of you Europeans get any funny ideas...
    This space intentionally left blank

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast