Thread: Enumeration for Monarchs, eg: Alexander II

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Question Enumeration for Monarchs, eg: Alexander II

Hello there,

another question that hangs around in my head for some time (brr, awfull english, I know) is whether or not it is possible to do that - what I referred to in the title of this thread.

Thank you in advance,
    Treverer
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Default Re: Enumeration for Monarchs, eg: Alexander II

No, I don't think it is possible. I don't think we can keep count of how many persons of one name have been king. However, would the kings themselves have called themselves using a number after their name, I thought that was just a thing used by historians to differeniate between monarchs?

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I'm not sure about the ancient times, but in medieval times contemporary writers added numbers to the monarchs name sometimes. It might have been done in greek or roman historical texts too.
    But anyway, it's not feasible in RTW (although I clearly remember this feature from MTW1).

Kings would be differentiated by a given surname of some sort. How that was granted differs between examples. So for example, you wouldn't see Antiochos I and Antiochos II or Ptolemaios I and Ptolemaios III; instead you would see Antiochos Soter and Antiochos Theos or Ptolemaios Soter and Ptolemaios Euergetes.

It's a bit more complicated than that, but that is the simple rundown of it.

It would be cool if they did, but they didn't. As such there is a controversy as to whether there might have been one or two, especially when a son with the same name succeeded his father.

Demetrios 1 and Demetrios 2 (First two kings of the IndoGreeks) are often thought to be one person and even the existence of the later is doubted.

See...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrius_II_of_India

You like EB? Buy CA games.