Thread: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Default crusader kings - new expansion coming out

crusader kings is an awesome game from paradox. it has lots of unique and intersting game concepts. for example a nice fairly accurate stab at representing the feudal system. you can for example move up the feudal ladder, from a simple count to a duke and ont a king. you can acquire counties/kingdoms through inheritance via strategic marriage etc it has been said that an ideal medieval game would have combined the strat map of crusader kings with the battles of M2. it does have some flaws and bugs, and was probably rushed for its intial release, eg it is not uncommon to find a proliferation of islamic kingdsoms in odd places like iceland, and frustratingly it seems inevitabel after you have built up a nice kingdom that it will collapse into civil war regardless of what you do.

anyway.........

for those who like it, good new there is an expansion coming out, which i expect will bring the game up to date and remove the flaws.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...83#post7265783

if you havent played it its worth getting you can probably downlaod the original from gamersgate for about £5.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Hmm yes could be interesting. As long as they make it easier to find brides and preferably remove or reduce the need for good stats as it didnt add to the medieval/feudal feel of the game. As long as she was hot and had an important dad, no need to look up her DNA

CBR

Default Sv: Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Finally !!.
    About time they did something with this game.
    I always thought of it as a unpolished gem and I hope that they will make it a shiny one this time.

Default Re: Sv: Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Very interesting. I haven't bought the original game, but I'll definately consider getting it and the expansion once the expansion gets released.

Default Sv: Re: Sv: Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Will this require the original or is it actually a stand-alone ??

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Quote Originally Posted by TB666
    Will this require the original or is it actually a stand-alone ??
    According to the paradox forum thread it requires the original.

CBR

Default Sv: Re: Sv: Re: Sv: Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

well just making sure
    Some companies have trouble telling the difference between a stand-alone and a expansion pack so you never know

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

The most important question: Will they be adding actual gameplay?
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

For England and St.George Senior Member ShadesWolf's Avatar

doesnt sound like much of a change 2 me :(
    ShadesWolf
    The Original HHHHHOWLLLLLLLLLLLLER

Im a Wolves fan, get me out of here......

there was a point in time when I was an official Paradox fanboy. Crusader Kings was for me the most eagerly anticipated game in a long time. It really does capture the fuedal system unlike anyother game out there.

This game also killed my association with Paradox games for the most part, but at 1.05 patch its a good game. the new features listed arent overwhelming, if you have played the game you know how it can get silly at times with Brittany becoming all Muslim and the Capets sitting in Paris doing nothing....

If they improve the crusade balance to powerful muslim expansion into ireland and france the game would truly be one of the most underrated/undervalued PC games out there (at this point, not at its release). Rebalancing the family lines and the fuedal relationships is already a strength of this game, not a weakness.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

This expansion is going to be released tomorrow. A PDF file that describes the changes in the expansion has been posted on the Paradox forums.

Default Sv: Re: crusader kings - new expansion coming out

Well the expansion is out.
    Anyone tried it ??

Caged for your safety Member RabidGibbon's Avatar

I've been playing it.

Its still crusader Kings just with whistles and bells. They all seem to be making the right noises though. My first game came to an abrupt end when my characters wife became my rival. Friends dont seem to have much effect, I imagine friendly vassals are less rebellious though, but haven't had any civil wars yet to test this out.

The best new feature is that armies can't cross the territory of neutral relegious enemies, meaning ne more sheikdom of Galway or Emirate of Scotland. Having said that though the Kingdom of Zirid still launched an amphibious attack on Rome (Which cancelled the Crusade, just as my armies were scaling the walls of Jerusalem!).

Fosterlings is the other most noticeable feature, I've managed to create a few stressed out gibbering mental cases to return to their parents. Also its useful for getting the bratlings out from under your feet in case you prove excessively fertile. Apparently murdering Fosterlings is frowned upon, but I haven't tried it out yet.

User interface is improved as well. I'd say its worth the tenner it costs.

I've always liked the concept of Crusader Kings, but from reading the Paradox forums, I got the impression that the execution was a bit lacking. Since I read a lot of good things about the expansion (with a few caveats, see below), I decided to buy the game and the expansion. I've enjoyed it so far.

The expansion has its share of minor bugs, and there are a couple of major issues. Many people have reported crashes, and rulers pledge vassalage to others of greater stature willy-nilly, causing nonsensical results (e.g. one guy reported the Duke of Sicily pledging to the King of Sweden). But I'm sure Paradox will fix those issues - they aren't in the habit of just leaving their games broken. If you're more patient than me, waiting for a patch to be published before buying might not be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidGibbon
    The best new feature is that armies can't cross the territory of neutral relegious enemies, meaning ne more sheikdom of Galway or Emirate of Scotland. Having said that though the Kingdom of Zirid still launched an amphibious attack on Rome (Which cancelled the Crusade, just as my armies were scaling the walls of Jerusalem!).
    Well thats really the main thing that was wrong with the game after the last patch. Truly CK is one of the only medieval games out there that scratches the surface of the marriage, dynasty subplots of the period. For that alone they should get some props, it isnt sexy but its certainly unique.

However having muslims sitting in Cornwall unopposed for literally decades was silly, this correction is long overdue.
    There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricEel
    I've always liked the concept of Crusader Kings, but from reading the Paradox forums, I got the impression that the execution was a bit lacking.
    Boy I wish I was that diplomatic back when the game came out, I would still be welcome over there.

The expansion has its share of minor bugs, and there are a couple of major issues. Many people have reported crashes, and rulers pledge vassalage to others of greater stature willy-nilly, causing nonsensical results (e.g. one guy reported the Duke of Sicily pledging to the King of Sweden). But I'm sure Paradox will fix those issues - they aren't in the habit of just leaving their games broken.
    No they do get around to fixing them, this expansion fixes a couple of problems with the original game. I wont get it myself, finished up CK a long time ago, but nonsensical, willy nilly results seems about right for a paradox game at release.

If you're more patient than me, waiting for a patch to be published before buying might not be a bad idea.
    In all candeor, I would advise anyone who purchases video games to do that now, some clever modder will come along and correct issues if they can, might as well wait a month and see what pops up. Good advice.

Sua Sponte