Thread: Political promise

Default Political promise

I play as english and im allied with danes and i play on patch 1.2. Near my Oslo station a great doll from Denmark so i put my diplomat to arrange a marriage with my king. She gives me an answer that she will do it if i promise to attack Poles. My question is what will happen if i say yes and will never attack Poland? And im not talking about realism but game mechanic. I know that somehow assigment for eliminating faction's king gived by prince is screwed coz our relations never improved after assasination and pretty always that faction attacked me after some turns. So can i count on such lacks in my case also?

Default Re: Political promise

That's a good question. I've never understood the 'Attack Faction' diplo either... all I've used it for is to raise money early in the game by offering to attack rebels. Later in the game, when your rep gets worse and worse, it's useless.

So, I curious to see if anyone's got a good response. Is the only thing that takes a hit your reputation, or can you lose anything else if you don't follow through? Also, how long do you have to follow through?

Once in a Spanish campaign, I was asked to assassinate the French king by his son. I thought that was hilarious... a neat addition to the game. However, the King was high ranked as a general, he never left his castle, and (worse) he had high anti-assassin traits. Maybe he had been targeted already by other factions? I dunno. Anyway, I never managed to kill him, even with my top-ranked assassin.

After enough turns went by without success, I got a failed diplomatic mission screen where the prince said he was very disappointed in me, and our relations dropped a notch. That was all. We were already rubbing elbows and war was immanent, so I don't know if this would have led to anything worse like an immediate attack, if I hadn't already started my invasion of the French provinces in the next few turns.

I imagine that's what would happen with the princess; just a drop in relations with her former faction... probably not war, although that can depend on which difficulty setting you're using (VH relations always degrade unless you bribe to improve it, M normalizes to neutral, etc.). I don't think you could lose the princess because there isn't a game mechanic for divorce, once they're in the family tree. So if you want her, go ahead and lie to her. Then build relations back up with bribes if you have to, later on. Remember she's trying to manipulate you, too.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

i will never know, she accepted money. bought her for a high price like a merchant from resident evil 4 would say :)