Thread: Need more money to surrive

Default Need more money to surrive

Hi I downloaded that money blanced script.
    Andi still i am haveing problems keeping my army intact.
    Iam playing Korinon and they are a weak faction.
    I tryed to have peace with Mace. But they decided war. And my cash flow starts to go down after each turn. So i must attack in turn 3.
    I waited for turn three to enlist a few hopelites brave enough to fight.

Question -- did i download it correctly?
    I made two folders from the Desktop
    And extract them in their own folder.
    then right click the file and pasted them in their own location as shown on that page for
    money scripts.
    I started a new campaign. And the cash flow still goes down.
    At this point iam playing this camp. on Med map/ easy battle just to test it-

1. Can anyone tell me what to do?
    2. did i install it correctly?
    I hope this is the correct post location iam new here.
    thanks

This is what i did---

Unrar the file and paste the 2 files as instructed below: EBBS_SCRIPT.txt goes in: .

..\EB\Data\scripts\show_me

Example: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\scripts\show_me

WHAT IS UNRAR ?

Put descr_mercenaries.txt in the folder corresponding to the way you play (with BI or without):

If you play with BI (using Oleo's changes too play):

...\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

Example: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

If you play with RTW without BI:

...\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

Example: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

THis part confused me on this last line could you explain in detail.

If you want to be sure and have both you can put it in both folders.??
    What does that mean?

thanks
    Last edited by swhunter; 08-05-2007 at 00:18.

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Default Re: Need more money to surrive

The scripts don't modify your situation they are there to keep the AI in check (help the small factions, slow a bit down the big ones from mass stacking you). So your cash-flow (the human player's) is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmeth
    The scripts don't modify your situation they are there to keep the AI in check (help the small factions, slow a bit down the big ones from mass stacking you). So your cash-flow (the human player's) is the same.
    Hi thank you.
    Should i try the role playing script?
    Will i still have time to build and to fight enemy armies that are still challageing? ( I mean good battles at least in a faction 6 to 8 stacks. ) and will the levels of battle and map levels be like the same its called for?
    Plus if i do DL it will mess up my last update from blanced scripts ?
    thanks
    Last edited by swhunter; 08-05-2007 at 00:24.

~
    add_money 40000
    add_money 40000
    ~

It's custom to go into the red at the beginning of a campaign with such small factions. The solution is to kick the Maks out of Greece, and spend your few precious mnai wisely. That way you'll find out soon enough that you're actually located in the strongest region of the map when it comes to economy matters.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

the Italian peninsula with good trade routes can also be very lucrative

Closet Celtophile Member Redmeth's Avatar

Playing as Epeiros (or any greek faction is quite easy) the first few years are critical but once you gain Greece it's pretty easy, I had 1.3 mil by 240 and fielding ~2 stacks and some elites in there also. Well after the Sauromatae campaign I think I value the mnai a lot more...

If you haven't done so already, disband your ships. You won't need them, and it'll save you quite some.

Uneasy with Command Member Treverer's Avatar

Wink Re: Need more money to surrive

If it hasn't been said yet: take a look at the cost of your Elephant unit!
    Got it? Think twice if you are going to keep them for more than a year or so ...... I only used them to "blitz" Pella and ... (insert the name of the macedonian settlement south of Pella) and then I disbanded those mnai-eaters.
    Towards the end of the book, the Moties quote an old story from Herodotus:

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Treverer
    If it hasn't been said yet: take a look at the cost of your Elephant unit!
    Got it? Think twice if you are going to keep them for more than a year or so ...... I only used them to "blitz" Pella and ... (insert the name of the macedonian settlement south of Pella) and then I disbanded those mnai-eaters.
    Demetrios

Also, in my Carthaginian campaign I still have my elephants from the start that you get in Sicily, They've fought from Sicily to the farthest western coast of africa to the eastern border between the Ptolemies and the Carthaginians to the very southern tip of habitable lands north of the Sahara!
    Last edited by Spoofa; 08-05-2007 at 09:39.

Question Re: Need more money to surrive

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofa
    Demetrios

What does that mean???

"Once there was a thief who was to be executed. As he was taken away he made a bargain with the king: In one year he would teach the king's favorite horse to sing hymns."
    "The other prisoners watched the thief singing to the horse and laughed. 'You will not succeed,' they told him. 'No one can.' To which the thief replied, 'I have a year, and who knows what will happen in that time. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die. And perhaps the horse will learn to sing.'"

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

"(insert the name of the macedonian settlement south of Pella)" = "Demetrios"

Arrow Re: Need more money to surrive

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    "(insert the name of the macedonian settlement south of Pella)" = "Demetrios"

Ashes on head ...

If it weren't for the settlement being called "Demetrias".
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Bah, Girl, Boy, who cares? its all just a town.

Make your on scripts at the begin of the turn make the cheats add_money.
    I always put 1200 for each city is under my control. For my is not cheating AI as scripts i have cheats add_money

Yeah but do you have AI brains?
    - Tellos Athenaios

Quote Originally Posted by Kepper
    Make your on scripts at the begin of the turn make the cheats add_money.
    I always put 1200 for each city is under my control. For my is not cheating AI as scripts i have cheats add_money
    How do you add money? Could use some.
    BTW i do have the 1.1 bal. script.

I believe its "add_money x". Personally I think that Epeiros is the one with the best chances thanks to those elephants. I can usually conquer everything but the Peloponses with those guys, and after that it is a question of simply keeping a half-decent army, just in case, to guard your cities while the Koinon Hellenon and the Makedonians slug it out on the Peloponese. Its often possible to take Chalkis and Mytelene (the settlement next to Ionia on the Island) also if you have a couple of Pezhetairoi left over. Though if you do this its very possible to go as much as 50k into debt, and it is very hard to keep Tarentum (though if you do you have a great base for launching strikes into Roman Territory (DIEEEE ROMANS!!)).
    My only beef with the Epeirotes is that their "elites" do not match up to the Makedonian/Seleukid ones (their best is, I believe, Illyrioi Thorakitai, which is only 12, 24. Compare that to Pheraspidai, Hypaspitai, or Thorakitai Argyraspidai)). Overall though, they have an excellent list of units.

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter
    How do you add money? Could use some.
    BTW i do have the 1.1 bal. script.
    I would say that if you really need money just kick the Makedonians and Epierotes out of Greece. As Redmeth said, once that is done the money should start rolling in. I just started a Mak campaign and kicked the Koinon out in the first few turns and had enough to support my army plus more.

But if you just want to add money real quick do what gran_guitarra said with "add_money x"

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gran_guitarra
    I believe its "add_money x". Personally I think that Epeiros is the one with the best chances thanks to those elephants. I can usually conquer everything but the Peloponses with those guys, and after that it is a question of simply keeping a half-decent army, just in case, to guard your cities while the Koinon Hellenon and the Makedonians slug it out on the Peloponese. Its often possible to take Chalkis and Mytelene (the settlement next to Ionia on the Island) also if you have a couple of Pezhetairoi left over. Though if you do this its very possible to go as much as 50k into debt, and it is very hard to keep Tarentum (though if you do you have a great base for launching strikes into Roman Territory (DIEEEE ROMANS!!)).
    My only beef with the Epeirotes is that their "elites" do not match up to the Makedonian/Seleukid ones (their best is, I believe, Illyrioi Thorakitai, which is only 12, 24. Compare that to Pheraspidai, Hypaspitai, or Thorakitai Argyraspidai)). Overall though, they have an excellent list of units.
    Chaonion Guard (spelling?) is their elite unit. It's a phalanx unit which stats are even higher than they were supposed to be, or so I've read. But it might only be recruitable in a verry select few provinces, if not just a single province.

Disband all calvary and ships when you start. It will save you loads of money and you can use your general for calvary most of the time.

Focus on building your economy. Conquer 1 or 2 regions with your current army then stop. Build roads, ports, and traders. Mines to if you have them.

Lover of Toight Vahjoinas Member Bootsiuv's Avatar

I've been having a fairly successful Koinon Hellenon campaign lately.

I think I have a few tips on the first turns which may be helpful for you, although I surely claim to be no expert. I can hold my own on hard/medium. The following is opinion, so others may disagree. It is simply a strategy which has served me well so far. Please note that I have a house rule of only building and training in cities with governors, so you're strategy might be a little different if you play differently. Anyways, the following advice is based on conclusions I've drawn after playing several games with the KH (favorite faction BTW). So, take it for what it's worth.

I've put it in spoiler tags for those who have never played KH, and would like a fresh perspective. So be warned, it's essentially a walkthrough of the first few turns.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    One thing I've learned (after a few failures, of course) is that you must strike at the Maks hard and fast. Disbanding troops and building your economy are simply not feasible options for the KH in 272 BC. It doesn't help that none of your starting territories are adjacent to each other, making reinforcing early on difficult at best.

This is why I am of the opinion that Korinthos and Chalkis are vital if you want to be able to keep your starting units (minus a few ships but more on that later) AND be able to make a decent profit.

Therefore, I often move the Faction Leader Areus' Army to besiege Korinthos on the first turn, after I reinforce it with all of my garrison in Sparte except the governor.

Before you end your 1st turn, I recommend disbanding 52 ships i.e. 2 of the 3 starting units. I keep 1 unit around to keep my ports open, and to take a new governor to Rhodos when that old fogey Rhodios inevitably kicks the bucket (He almost always dies before his only son comes of age).

Even after disbanding most of your fleet, you'll likely go in the red on turn 2, unless you build nothing and train nothing on turn 1, which is a definite mistake. Your starting army is relatively small, and should be bolstered with levies within the first year. Fortunately, Epeiros seems to take some of the heat off of you in the beginning. It is often advantageous to seek them out early. They will usually sign an alliance, sometimes with favorable terms (map information, lump sum payment, etc.).

Remember that Diplomats and Spies are the mouths and eyes of your empire. Use the ones you have, and make recruiting more a high priority. Trade Rights with all factions around the Aegean Sea and Eastern Mediterranean will go a long way in helping your finances, and gaining valuable information of the area will help you plan for future conquests.

Once you feel confident that you've done all you can to help your cause, hit "end turn".

As I'm sure you've already noticed, Antigonos starts with a vast army near Athenai in the beginning of the game. Be aware that he has headed north in EVERY single KH campaign I've ever played, undoubtedly to repulse Pyhrros' Army which threatens Pella at the start of the game. Once he leaves i.e. the second turn, I pull all of my forces from Athenai, save 1 unit of Hoplitai Haploi (so the Maks can't just "walk" in), and cross the straits to Chalkis, besieging it on that same turn, and taking it by turn 3.

Usually, I'm the last person to advocate blitzing. I can appreciate the value of roleplaying, but you simply do not have the luxury of waiting out sieges in the first year or so as the KH. You must solidify control over all of southern Greece quickly (although the Aitolians can wait until Makedon is broken).

During one of my failed campaigns, I chose to do a little roleplaying myself, and decided to wait out the sieges of Korinthos and Chalkis. The problems with using this approach can be two-fold. First, Antigonus will almost always beat Phyrros back at Pella, and he'll be back with an army many times larger than anything you can muster. Second, the longer Chremonides is away from Athenai, the longer you have to go without his great governing skills. He'll likely add many hundreds of mnai to Athenai's profits, mnai the Koinon desperately needs.

Anyways, after you've taken the aforementioned Mak settlements, you should be making a nice profit of 2-3000 mnai a turn. Now, with the boost in tax revenue, you should be able to support a standing army sufficient enough to take Demetrias. You'll almost always have a few colossal battles in the hills of Thessalia, and it is likely here where the fate of eastern Hellas will be decided. If you can beat Antigonus here, Pella is but a short distance away. Interestingly, the battle of Pella is often something of an afterthought, as the Maks will usually throw everything they have at you when you invade Thessalia. Just try and get there before the Epeirotes do, or you'll be boxed in.

A couple final things to note...

Remember that the Mak army is often cavalry heavy, or at least much more so than you. Upgrading your MICs in Athenai is absolutely vital, as that city will give you your best troops in the Makedonian War, and Sparte suffers from slow growth, especially when taxes are high.

Be wary of which Eleuthoroi kingdom you attack. The wonderful Scripts of EB mean an attack on Halikarnassos, for example, will result in war with the Ptolemies. There are others too, if I'm not mistaken, but I'll let you figure those out for yourself. Not all Eleutheroi settlements are protected by real factions, however. Take the island of Krete for example. The Kretai have no such allies, and their capital of Kydonia is open for the taking. After Makedonian power is broken, I often "convince"( ) the inhabitants of Kydonia that joining the Koinon is in their best interests.

If you can ally with the Getai, it would likely be a good thing. Offer tribute every turn if financially possible. I often share a long northern border with those "barbarians", but they have not betrayed me yet.

Last, but surely not least, beware of the Epeirotes. Once the Makedonian yoke is lifted, they will likely expand into Illyria. If their campaigns in Italia go well, they'll likely focus their attention on the rest of Hellas, and their fickle allies at best, only using you until it no longer serves their purpose.

So there ya go.
    Hope some of that's helpful, and sorry if it's a little longwinded.

Bootsiuv
    SSbQ*****************SSbQ******************SSbQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Disband all calvary and ships when you start. It will save you loads of money and you can use your general for calvary most of the time.

Focus on building your economy. Conquer 1 or 2 regions with your current army then stop. Build roads, ports, and traders. Mines to if you have them.
    The KH General is infantry, not cavalry. Their excellent, nonetheless.

As to the mines, the only problem with that is that Athenai is the only city-state capable of building mines which is within your grasp early on, and it already has the first level mine if I'm not mistaken. The next level is something like 25000 mnai, and takes 5 years to build. I would focus on MIC in Athenai in the beginning, and economic buildings in other cities. Once your building at least the light Hoplitai(can't think of their name right now), you can at least throw some 11/22's at the Maks.

BTW, a few units of Hippokentistai (sp?) are quite vital in the war with Makedon. They're armies are often 30%+ Cavalry. You need something to counter they're flanking attempts. At least your light cavalry can tie them up until some reserve infantry can arrive.
    Last edited by Bootsiuv; 08-07-2007 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiuv
    The KH General is infantry, not cavalry. Their excellent, nonetheless.

As to the mines, the only problem with that is that Athenai is the only city-state capable of building mines which is within your grasp early on, and it already has the first level mine if I'm not mistaken. The next level is something like 25000 mnai, and takes 5 years to build. I would focus on MIC in Athenai in the beginning, and economic buildings in other cities. Once your building at least the light Hoplitai(can't think of their name right now), you can at least throw some 11/22's at the Maks.

BTW, a few units of Hippokentistai (sp?) are quite vital in the war with Makedon. They're armies are often 30%+ Cavalry. You need something to counter they're flanking attempts. At least your light cavalry can tie them up until some reserve infantry can arrive.
    That was general, not KH or anyone in particular. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    That was general, not KH or anyone in particular. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    Gotcha.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

hehehe that's a funny 2nd post, sofar I haven't seen any mass stacking in EB :P though I did mod mine to give factions more money and then some factions do mass stack... sadly they massstacked elephants and the fun was off so I changed back to SIEGE, SIEGE, SIEGE, REBELS, SIEGE, SIEGE... but whateheck... im having fun anyway

Oh btw Epeiros RULESSS... I always play them, they totally rock. Its fun to hold your cities with 2 phalangitai deuteroi against 2500 thousand crazy greeks or makedonians and see them rout in a small way with 2 phalanxes on both ends and a general in the middle hunting them down... 2 phalanxes and 1 general is enough to protect any city ffrom even the biggest armies. I always disband the eles because I usually wait till there is only one turn left and then finish of those who havent died yet... or wait for them to sally and then sneak my general into their sqaure, ride around the walls so i capture them and they cant come in anymore and then wait 3 minutes on their center and VICTORY!!!
    Last edited by The Stranger; 08-07-2007 at 17:14.

We do not sow.

enless they have stone walls