Thread: Seleucids overpowered?

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

Default Seleucids overpowered?

I was playing the Seleucids and Im thinking their overpowered cause of the fact they have Elephants, Catacphracts, Companian Cavalry, pikemen, militia hoplites, legions. Whenever I try a new faction, it just seems that the faction is weak. Anyone feel the same?

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

Default Re: Seleucids overpowered?

That is why they call them "The Grey Death"....
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

They have the strongest army in the game(and one of the most fun to play with) but in campaign mode this is balanced out by the fact you have to survive long enough to get these units since the seleucids are a long strip sandwiched between the eggies and the eastern factions.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Alexander knew how to make a great army. Its all his leftovers and maybe it is alittle overpowered. The strong army should be balanced out by being surrounded by so many enemies and internal struggles. But all that has to do with the AI and well you know how that is.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country". -Nathan Hale 1776

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

To be honest, i cant say, because when i tried campaigning as them, i quite simply got my ass kicked!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."

no theyre not overpowered. romans are op. selucs are the only faction that can stand roman marius army at open field in this game.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Egypt has always steamrolled the Seleucids in my normal campaigns, if there's any faction that's overpowered it's the Egyptians.

That said, in the hands of a capable human player, it's rather easy to bulldoze anything that gets in your way as the Seleucids, including post-Marian romans.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

I do not believe they are overpowered, in fact i think they are probably the best balanced faction in the game in terms of unit variety and stats. They have access to some high quality unit's but nothing i would call overpowered, its a shame teh otehr hellenic factions don't have a similiar flexibility . Apart from Rome and egypt the other factions seem a bit underdeveloped/weak to me.

germans are overpowered.. they get best early units and some great late infantry ones...

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

I dont think that Seleucids are overpowered, in campaigns, they always are destroyed.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

I would not call them overpowered, as so much as they are unbalanced. They are very hard in the begining but once they defeat Egypt, and consolidate Anatolia. They just wait for there more and more powerful units.
    I would rather betray the world, than let the world betray me - Cao Cao, King of Wei 155-220

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

They have one of the best - if not THE best - unit rosters in the game. But they need it, because in the end game it's mostly you as the seleucids vs. the roman factions.

I am playing as Egypt on hard/hard and I obliterated the Seleucids whenever I fought them. I agree it was during the early game. My Bowmen and slingers would slaughter their Hoplites and my chariots and horsemen would kill the fleeing remnants. I was usually killing 80% or more of their forces to less than 10% of mine whenever we met. However they did fare better in Urban Combat but I still kicked their butts.

I think they are very hard, i'm currently playing as egypt and they are
    my mortal enemy. Although I have not yet been able to develop chariots yet.

They are very agressive in campaign mode.Plus currently they hold two wonders to my one.

Quote Originally Posted by DthaV
    I think they are very hard, i'm currently playing as egypt and they are
    my mortal enemy. Although I have not yet been able to develop chariots yet.

They are very agressive in campaign mode.Plus currently they hold two wonders to my one.

Build a Blacksmith. That alone should get you chariots.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion
    Last edited by Celt Centurion; 08-10-2007 at 03:21.

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

I have never lasted longer than 20 years on Normal/Normal with the seleucids as you have the worst possible start position the game... IMPO but I read that the other hellenics are weak, I agree with this so I decided to give the Greek Cities the Spartan warriors as their main troop unit by making it so their much cheaper to train and can be trained from the large-town barracks and not just in sparta lets just say As the romans i am having way to many close calls and even defeats wiht these guys but its great fun lol. Sorry for rambling and going off topic guys. But if you wanna spice things up then just give the weaker factions more powerfull units earlier once again sorry for the rambling.
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

In campaign the Selucids are quickly conquered by the Egyptians.

If you think their army is overpowered look at the Romans...