Thread: I few things that need asking.

Default I few things that need asking.

I just got a few, not-so-basic questions about the game that just sprung to mind.

1.If you try to retrain units, and you end your turn, and are then laid siege to, will those units be retrained?

2.I'm trying to test a theory in combat. can I control both sides in the custom battle, not just one? Or, can I make the AI do what I want? (Yes, I know they're the same thing.)

3.Thirdly! I have many a mercanary hoplite. But they have all taken casualties. I cannots retrain them! : (
    Why is this?
    Last edited by Sonicdahedgie; 08-06-2007 at 18:22.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I few things that need asking.

1. No.

2. You have control of twenty units max. I don't think you can control opposing sides, sadly. If you really wanted to do this I'd suggest going on multiplayer with two different accounts/a friend to help.

3. Well, since you don't train mercs in the first place (you buy them) you can't retrain them either. Just merge their units or disband 'em.

Hope this helps.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: I few things that need asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicdahedgie
    1.If you try to retrain units, and you end your turn, and are then laid siege to, will those units be retrained?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    1. No.
    They don't? If you recruit a new unit the turn before getting besieged, the new unit will be recruited. Does it work differently for retraining?
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I know with buildings nothing gets built...

I thought the only exception to the rule was that you could build ships even if your port was blockaded.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: I few things that need asking.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Hmm, I know with buildings nothing gets built...
    Weird. In my experience a building in the last turn of construction gets finished as soon as you hit the end-turn button.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

well, I'm almost sure that they get finished at the start of your round. So when the AI lays siege to your city in its turn, they're still 'under construction' when your turn starts.

Don't know how I can prove buildings but if you check the Financial Summary before you end your turn and compare it to the end turn report, the difference will be in the army upkeep. Basically, your guys are recruited and draw their first pay check and then the next faction takes their turn. I was planning on using screenshots but I'm not feeling technically savvy. Just compare Army upkeep expenditures to see what I'm saying. By extension I'm guessing that there's no reason for your units to recruit and then for your buildings to be constructed later. Oh well, somebody just needs to get seiged.

I've taken over the entire world, excluding the areas from Gaul area to the Pontus area.

You realize how many units I recruit each turn?

In war laws are silent.... Member gaiusjulii's Avatar

There have been occasions when the AI lays seige while i am constructing and been albe to retrain my units but most of the time I dont get to retrain until the seige is lifted. in regards to Mercs you can retrain them in regards to upgrading weapons but no men will be replaced. that only happens through merging. One more thing you say that the comp takes the upkeep cost when you have your men in the que? I think this maybe down to the fact that you pay for everything in advance.... maybe the comp see's that you have retrained them cos there in the que and only take one turn even if you yet to take your turn, what I am trying to say is that effectivly underseige time stands still for the financial side of retraining so you will still have to pay for units you dont have access to.... not if any of that makes sense to you guys but thats my theory
    My Neighbour is my enemy, my allie is my enemy i dont trust...

A war fought for security is just, anything else is Mass Murder....

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

I believe retraining will be completed even if you are besieged that same turn.

Retraining wont complete if you are already besieged when you order the retraining.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

As soon as you hit end of turn a single unit you have queued will be trained, all your units you are currently retraining will retrain, therefore a boat will appear in your dock before a faction lays siege to your province and buildings in their last turn will construct because when you end the turn your troops and buildings finish then the next faction has their turn and theirs will add/ finish then say the Gauls are attacking you, they will be 3rd or 4th in line so you have already finished before it is even their turn, glad to have cleared that up.

No you cannot control two opposing sides in a custom battle, or any for that matter.

I think number 3 has already been answered but I will clarify. when you buy mercenaries you buy to obligation to feed them and protect them. Once a mercenary unit loses men they still do not belong to you so you cannot replace them as your tech tree cannot support whatever unit-mercenaries for example hoplite mercenaries although in this case you can train hoplites. You get me? It is like in Roman warfare, they would hire Marsi mercenaries, feed them and in the Romans case more often than not kill them off before their own troops rather than protect them because they could not refill the legion it was up to the Italian Allies to do it, not the Romans.